1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All-in-one or AV/Receiver

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by aks, Aug 26, 2005.

1. aks

aks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have a DVD/HD recorder and am looking for a 5.1 surround system (and hi-fi replacement).

The new Panasonic units: SCHT880 system or SCHT17 receiver are basically the same price (or possibly SCHT880 is cheaper), which doesn't make much sense :confused:

They appear to have very similar specs, so why wouldn't everyone simply opt for the all-in-one, and get a spare DVD player?

2. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I'm not sure, but the All in One version may not have any optical inputs. The other One has Two.

3. aks

aks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Panzer22 - I got the SCHT17 receiver in the end (£309).

It does have 2 optical inputs, plus 4 analogue inputs, plus 1 coax.

It sounds very good to me, and has several audio modes with different equaliser settings. Bass and treble can also be controlled independently if you want to adjust.

The downside is I have another remote control to faff about with !

4. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    So you recommend this system then? I'm about to order the same One. Like you, I also didn't need the built in DVD player of the scht880. I have an LG HDMI dvd player to plug into it via optical.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it for that price?

5. aks

aks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My comparison base is very small, but yes I like this system.
    Looks nice, and sounds nice. Plenty of adjustments if you're so inclined.

Remote control is light and thin at the front, heavier and thicker at the back (for the batteries). This feels a little odd compared to most remotes, but is a minor issue in reality. I just don't like having 5 remotes on the go (TV, HD-DVD recorder, DigiBox, VCR, and now surround system too). I'll have to find an all-in-one with enough buttons for all the useful functions, since I don't like switching through the device selections either.

I looked very closely at the Sony DZ700, but it sounded a bit dull to me (only in a Sony shop mind). I also asked the rep about adjustments and settings and he basically said you don't need to change anything! However, he did explain the 4 sound modes, e.g. pop, rock, etc. It seemed very limited.

6. anpictum

anpictum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi AKS - glad you're happy with the SCHT17. Like you, I didn't need the DVD player most of the surround sound systems are bundled with and after reading a great review of this system it seems like the solution I'm looking for. My Samsung HD850 has an HDMI output so I would like to continue to use this for video feeds but can you tell me if it is possible to configure the SCHT17 to play the audio from the HD850 whilst the HDMI cable feeds video directly to my screen? Also the best price I have found is £350 from Digital Direct - where did you buy yours? Cheers.

7. aks

aks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have several options. I have several inputs to my TV, and then feed stereo audio from the TV to the SCHT17 as analogue in.

If your HD850 has optical out, you can just feed that to the SCHT17.

You don't have to feed video through the SCHT17, but you can if you want to. It supports composite, S-video and component connections.

I bought from www.totaldigital.biz, but I see the price has now gone up (£335)!

8. anpictum

anpictum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    AKS many thanks for the info :thumbsup: