• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

All in one or Amp and Speakers?

papa_lazarou

Established Member
Hi all, few quick questions and apologies if it sounds daft but i'm not really clued up.

Am I right in thinking that if you have a home cinema in a box thing, either 5.1 or 6.1 you don't need an amp or receiver.

I was going to go for a home cinema package but have just got a seperate blu ray player with my new lcd so i'm not sure I need another disk player? or would the disk player that comes with the package be better for playing music on?

Also can anybody recommend a decent system, I would have between £500-£800 to spend including cables and ideally would like the rear speakers to be wireless and the front speakers wall mountable.

Thanks all.

Papa

cyber_who

Established Member
With many of the home cinema all-in-ones as you rightly say you don't need a seperate amp.

I have got the Panasonic SC-BT100 which is an all in one with Blu-ray, it has (optional) wireless rear speakers and the front left/right speakers can be wall mounted if you wanted.
It is ok for music playback, and as well as CD support it has a built in iPod dock.
The wireless rear speakers connect to a mains powered receiver, and with this you get 5.1 sound, a second wireless unit could be added to give 7.1 sound.

As you say you already have a blu-ray player this system might not be the ideal choice though.
But I am very pleased with it and think it gives excellent picture and sound.

Hope that helps.

Andy

cols

Prominent Member
Not all in ones are dvd systems, there are those that are basically amp&speaker systems, such as htddwg800, htsf1300, htss1300, htsf1200. Lots of inputs for hdmi, optical, digital coax, rca phono.

All the ones i've listed take LPCM over hdmi, so combined with a blu ray player that offers onboard decoding of dolby true hd / dts hd ma, you get hd audio.

However with a budget of £500 to £800 you may be better served looking at separates. An amp / receiver such as sony strdg820 or onkyo 606 combined with a set of 5.1ch speakers.

papa_lazarou

Established Member
Thanks, I'm hearing a lot about the Onkyo 606 and lots of people seem to like it a lot. If anybody has it could they possibly tell me the height of it with and without the feet?

Many thanks,

Papa.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
if you want that info, go check out the onkyo forum, as its not an AIO its a seperate amp/receiver :
Onkyo Owners' Forum - AVForums.com

and please, forget wireless..they are a complete waste of time.

papa_lazarou

Established Member
Thanks for the answers, apologies for the question in the wrong place! and yes after reading through here and the different reviews I've gone off wireless!!:smashin:

cyber_who

Established Member
Thanks for the answers, apologies for the question in the wrong place! and yes after reading through here and the different reviews I've gone off wireless!!:smashin:

Don't be put of totally, I am pleased with my Panasonic with wireless rears, they work well with a pretty good sound.

papa_lazarou

Established Member
No it's only because I thought they were entirely wireless and now realise they are generally attached to a mains unit. As I'm putting a new floor in my room I may as well just lay channels and run the speakers to the front.

cyber_who

Established Member
No it's only because I thought they were entirely wireless and now realise they are generally attached to a mains unit. As I'm putting a new floor in my room I may as well just lay channels and run the speakers to the front.

No worries, hope the work goes well.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom