1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All In One Minus One? Seperates?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kootuu, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi ,

I've been looking all over the place for a decent setup to attach to my TV/DVD set I already have.

This is what I've got:

TV - Philips 28PW6006
    DVD Player - Pioneer DV350S
    Scart From DVD to TV - QED AV21 Audio & Visual

Now, the main problem is the audio from the TV. It plain sucks...turn up the volume and its very apparent it cannot handle treble very well let alone bass.

So I'm looking to put something together to compliment what I already have. The room I am using this in is about 12*10 foot, so it's not very big.

Don't really want to be spending more than £200, I know this is low but hey, woe me!

I've seen on dixons a set of Panasonic speakers for £149.99, any idea if I can get an alright Receiver for £50 squid?

Not sure what to do with this, anyone got any ideas or set up something similar?

Or should I just get an all in one as they seem to be cheaper and definatelty there are more of them and just discard my current dvd player?

I've been looking and the following set ups seem quite good to me:

Either the Sony HTK25 from Empire at £159.99

OR

A set of Yamaha NSP100 Speakers from RicherSounds at £79.95

plus

A Pioneer VSXC100 Receiver from RicherSounds at £119.95.

Makes that a total of roughly £200.

So for the extra £40 any idea how much better that set up might be?

2. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    no opinions on either set up? anyone have either of these set ups or something similar?

Also I was looking in home cinema and they rate the htbe1 over the htk25 for the money you spend. I haven't heard too many good things regarding the htbe1 however.

3. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know anything about the set ups you mention but if you are happy with your DVD player there is no need to discard it. If your DVD has a 5.1 analogue output you could go for an active speaker package. These usually consist of a subwoofer with a built in 5.1 amp and 5 satellites. Alternatively, get seperate amp and passive speakers, if your DVD has the 5.1 analogue output you can get away with a DPL amp as long as it has a 5.1 input, if your DVD doesn't have a 5.1 output you'll have to go for a 5.1 amp. There should be plenty to choose from at £200 for the lot. RS have got the eltax AVR200 at £100 and the eltax spectrum speaker package for £100, or you could gor for the limit HC40 at £150, which is an active speaker package provided you have the 5.1 output on your DVD. Either should blow the sound of your TV out of the water.

4. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well, I'm not too sure if my DVD has a 5.1 analogue output.

I know it has the following:

- 1 coaxial digatal audio out,
    - Audio Out L/R
    - RGB Scart Socket
    - Video Out
    - S Video Out

Just had a look here:

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=1567&taxonomy_id=62-84

It does mention the following:

Have you heard the Eltax speakers? Any idea how they would compare to the ones included in the HTk25?

5. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look on pricerunner and your DVD does have a 5.1 output. Haven't heard the eltax speakers so can't comment. The Sony HTK 25 doesn't have a DVD player built in, not sure if you realised that, it's an amp/speaker package, and you will be able to run it off your digital output on your DVD. It has DPL II as well which is useful for stereo sources, looks like a nice bit of kit but I would imagine the eltax receiver/speaker combo i suggested would sound better, doesn't have DPL II though. You pays your money.....

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    darthmahon

You could take the plunge and go 2nd hand. Try putting a wanted ad on the classifieds and see what turns up. You'll get a lot more for your money - better quality and better sound that'll blow £200 spent at Dixons out of the water. £100 should easy get a half decent 5.1 amp/receiver plus another £100 for a set of speakers.

On the speakers make sure they are all from one maker (or the fronts at least) so that the sound stage is even sounding.

There is many a member on here with nothing but 2nd hand kit (I'm only partially there) and you'll find most are well satisfied. Plus when it's time to upgrade you won't lose as much money!!

Chris

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Darth
    I put the htk-25 in my daughters bedroom18'x9' and it sounds excellent for the price much better than the all in one kits,it is attached to a toshiba sd330 dvd player.Went in currys monday to get a playstation 2 and eye toy for daughters christmas and noticed they had the htk-25 on managers end of line special 370 quid :eek: so if you can get it for 159 quid i would get it.
    All the speaker connections are connected to the sub there is a umbilical cord that goes from the sub to the proccesser this little unit can fit just about anywhere sideways or flat and stays very cool as the digital amp is in the subwoofer.
    Cheers Gonzo.:)

8. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the replies guys, definately someting to think about.

I wouldn't mind going the 2nd hand route, but I'm not really sure what I am after specifically so enquring about such things isn't right at the moment. Any suggestions?

Yea I realised it didn't have a dvd player, one of the reasons why I am keen on it. Do you think RS would have the eltax equipment and htk25 in store for a "sound test"?

Also, regarding the Limit HC40 does it come with those stands or are they seperate? Don't have the room for them... :(

One last thing, I've heard you cannot adjust the treble and bass on the htk25? Is this true?