Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

all in one for dvd and stereo music??????

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by bockster, Nov 26, 2003.

1. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, don't mean to bore you all again with advice request for rookie, again, but you people are a godsend for someone agonising over which idtv and source to part cash for! anyway, if you can help, my requirments. 1; dvd-r, cd, cd-r, cd-rw plaback and preferably jpeg also. 2;enough power to fil 25"by13"room, although set up will be in one half of room, (does this affect volume?) 3;decent o/p for audio cd,s (do i need to look something with bigger front speakers than sattelites?, also does sub come into play when listening in stereo, also am i asking stupid questions?). 4;budget up to £300......ish.....you know what its like! i do like some of the panasonic stuff, but not wood effect speaker boxes as per scdt310. also sony stuff is sexy but seems these don't do dvdr! any help or advice greatly appreciated. i'm off to bore the people in widescreen tv dept! traaa

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Most home cinema systems aren't meant for stereo music. Some do it quite well and when you use prologic II you can get a enhanced surround effect but for real clarity you want something with full range front speakers so it can do stereo music well like the Panasonic SCDT310. However you don't like it because of the wood effect speakers which is fair enough but I'm not aware of a similar product. Perhaps your best bet would be seperates. Wait for the sales and see what you can pick up with regard a decent player, amp and 2 speakers and then perhaps add a sub and additional satellite speakers later when you can afford it.

3. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you're 'picky' (<term of endearment! :D ), bockster, then it is probably best to stay away from an all-in-one for stereo playback.

If you can live with DPLII, then it's passable; but you can't beat a bigger box :laugh:

I 'get by' with a Pioneer DCS-303 for all my listening these days and listen with DPLII enabled. It's really quite good; but given the choice... :rotfl:

4. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers bonzobanana and andy572. seems i may need to rethink. i like mimimal...miminel....minimelism?? hence all in one shiny box route. maybe though i should pay a visit to a decent dealer, (any thoughts, midlands/northwest) to seee whats available.

5. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At that sort of budget (unless things have changed in the last few months!), you're mostly 'limited' to an all-in-one - which should meet your 'minimalist' requirements, at least :D

If at all possible, that's a big 'Yes!' on the dealer trial! It's the only way you'll really know.

For now, how about? >>>

Panasonic SC-DT100 Tiny, shiny micro-style boxes (amp and DVD player), with 'piano black' speakers.

Panasonic SC-DM3 Tinier, shiny, with very tiny speaker units - quite possibly (probably?!?) too small for a room of that size.

Pioneer HC series A range of slimline separates, which could be a nice 'in-between' the all-in-one and big box solutions.

Pioneer NSDV99 A very compact all-in-one, including super-slender satellite speakers, DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD playback.

Pioneer DCS-303 As you saw, I have one. For the price, it's good; but as you can see, there are alternatives. I merely list it as a 'discontinued' option, as that may mean that you can find a good price.

Sony HTP series Another separates/speakers pack, with some using slimline boxes and others, what appear to be full-size cases. Bargains may be had if you can find last year's model e.g. HTP1000 ('1100' being the current system).

Sony HT-K250 A truly compact amp, sat-sub system - though the matching DVD drive would, I think, add about £150 to the £300 price.

JVC TH-A35R Reported as having great sound and image quality via RGB.

I could go on 'forever', but there's some that I recall. You may like to look for further JVC, LG and Samsung systems, as they have all attracted favourable comments at some point.

Good luck!