1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All-in-one DVD/Hifi's with 5.1 decoders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cadman, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Cadman

Cadman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would appreciate a little advice regarding all in one hifi units which play dvds.
    some seem to advertise that they are 5.1 dolby units, but when you look at them, the amp seems to be dolby pro-logic only.

Does this mean that the DVD player bit has a 5.1 decoder and would produce proper 5.1 sound if connected to the right amp, or will the unit itself actually give 5.1 output as it stands ?

I have seen units from Sony, Technics and even Samsung and LG.

Any help/thoughts appreciated. cheers.:confused:

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There have been tons of threads on these all-in-ones recently. I suggest you read these for a bit more research. There have been posts in many of the forums.

3. Cadman

Cadman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks v much. I'm a bit new to this so sorry if it was a repeat of older stuff. 'll try having a trawl around through all of this stuff.

Cheers for letting me know.:)

4. Cadman

Cadman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ps: I tried searching for all-in-one, for "DVD and Hifi" and several other combinations. Couldn't seem to find what I wanted, So I guess I'll keep trying and look at the manufaturers web sites.

Seems disappointing that the makers can't be honest/upfront
    about how their kit works. (Their websites seem to have little actual detail, simply product lists)

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem with searching titles is that not everyone uses titles that reflect the subject.

I seem to recall many of the titles have Sony in them. Try a search for "one" as well.

Many of the threads are only a week or two old too so a manual search shouldn't be difficult.

BTW, i meant that looking at these would be v.useful for you, not a slapped wrist for posting another one.

If you do have problems finding them, a brief summary is:

Most don't have scarts, so no RGB and no pin 8 widescreen switching. The connectivity is usually poor (Sony ones have only 2 analogue inputs. tv, vcr and digibox =3 so which one are you going to leave off). Speakers are poor and the output is low. Being integrated, if one part goes wrong or you want to upgrade in the future, you stand to lose the whole lot. Seperates cost the same, or less in some cases, and offer better connectivity, better sound and an upgrade path.

The positive points on the all-in-ones is that they are ideal for limited space and usually look attractive.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Cadman,

You are correct, the cheaper "all in ones" are pro logic only but moving up the price scale will give you Dolby Digital and DTS sound taking into acount all of the caveats mentioned by Doubledoom.

Ian

PS The Sony web site is useless and for the amount of information that it gives they might as well not bother.