1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All-in-one Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ParmMann, Dec 26, 2004.

1. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi all,

Following on from my Plasma thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1347356#post1347356

I'm looking for a all-in-one home cinema system to hook up to my Plasma.
    The Plasma looks as though it will be a Pioneer PDP-505XDE.

Which all-in-one system would you best recommend for < £1000.

Again, I'm new to all-in-one systems, so I'm looking for something with the following attributes:
    1. Looks smart in a room of light whites, creams (furniture, carpets, blinds) and some dark black bits (marble fire, table).

2. Has all the features to keep up with the Plasma, do you get all-in-ones with DVD players that have HDMI?

3. Will be hooked up to my Sky box, not sure if I'll be upgrading to Sky+ so it might be an idea to have a DVD Recorder.

4. Support for playback of most formats. Would like to play CD's, CD-R's, SACD's etc. Would be very nice if I could play DIVX, XVID, MPEG's and what have you, but that might be a bit far fetched?

A few months back I was thinking about going for the Pioner NSDV1000, it looked really smart, had generally good specs, and wasn't a bad price.
    However, its no longer on the Pioneer website, has it been discontinued?

Thus, which all in one system would you suggest for my Plasma setup?

Thanks,
    Parm

2. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    *bump*

3. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    *bump* :lease:

4. zenki200

zenki200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are tons of systems out there and at this price you should be auditioning them individually to see which ones suit your ear. It also depends a lot on what you will be listening to through the system. Some are better suited to different types of films be it loud action films or more sedate dialogue based soundtracks. Some systems do not reproduce CD signals so well if you are planning to use it as your primary music source.
    Have a look through www.pricerunner.co.uk or www.kelkoo.co.uk and use the reviews section on www.homecinemachoice.com to give you some ideas. You can then whittle down your requirements and go listen to some systems. Happy hunting.

5. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I would recommend a look at the JAMO DVR50 which you can get with a couple of speaker options. It is plays virtually everything you throw at it and I have never heard an all in one solution sound so good. It can be made mult-region through a firmware upgrade. It also will take an optical input (useful for Sky +) and has component outputs with progressive scan.

I have always been a bit wary of all in one solutions, but I must admit that although not as good as my separates, it gives it a damn good run for its money!