• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

All in need is a DLNA compliant NAS and a DLNA compliant Receiver - right?

Luggs

Standard Member
Hi All,

Investigating potential new system based around streaming (FLAC) files. I'm trying to be sure that what I have read is correct.

At the moment I'm looking at a VortexBox and a Yamaha VX673. Both of these units are DNLA compliant.

From what I can read I should be able to connect the Vortexbox and the receiver to my network and then use the Yamaha (iphone) app to select and play music from the Vortex box.

No need for digital connection or any additional players.

Is this right?

thanks

martin 39

Im the same mate always used cd with dear interconnects . Seperate two chanel amp and cd . Now all I have is my arcam 400 music stored on my laptop with a ethernet lead going from router to amp with a app on my phone . I keep thinking im sure I need something else but dont no what

larkone

Distinguished Member
Im the same mate always used cd with dear interconnects . Seperate two chanel amp and cd . Now all I have is my arcam 400 music stored on my laptop with a ethernet lead going from router to amp with a app on my phone . I keep thinking im sure I need something else but dont no what

You need some form of DLNA server on your laptop and an app on your phone. try Logitech media server Logitech Media Server: Windows Executable Installer

Some Software Beta Downloads - Version 7.8

and the Arcam app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arcam-songbook/id514351374?ls=1&mt=8

The app is only for ithings though. If you have Android try BubbleUPNP

martin 39

Yes mate I have twonky which has seemed to have disappeared for some reason can't beam from it anymore and I have bubble unp on the galaxy s3 . I just keep thinking I need to buy something to improve the sound like a dac or a streamer or something but it just all seems to work fine . Sorry if I have jumped in on the thread . But just amazed how well this all works other than the problem I get getting the arcam to work on the network but thats a different story

larkone

Distinguished Member
Yes mate I have twonky which has seemed to have disappeared for some reason can't beam from it anymore and I have bubble unp on the galaxy s3 . I just keep thinking I need to buy something to improve the sound like a dac or a streamer or something but it just all seems to work fine . Sorry if I have jumped in on the thread . But just amazed how well this all works other than the problem I get getting the arcam to work on the network but thats a different story

I would still try running LMS instead of Twonky - I remember your problem now. LMS is very stable and free so worth a trail to see if it makes your network connection more stable. Also is your laptop hardwired because wireless for a music server is not ideal.

martin 39

Trying to save for a nas but not sure what to buy . And no the laptop is wireless . But I do have Google music on my phone so even without the laptop on I still get problems connecting the amp to the network just says unable to browse . I have set a fixed ip and that works if I just change a number turn off the amp and then back on then in the menu it shows my phone or laptop which ever I am running . Thanks for the input

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom