1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All I want to know is: what should I buy? Why do they have to make it so difficult?!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NicolasB, Jan 25, 2005.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Okay, okay, calm down, Nicolas, just breathe slowly and tell them all what the problem is.... :)

(Oh, before I start: this may be the wrong forum for this post; if so then perhaps a passing moderator could move and/or nuke it).

Right.

I'm looking for a display device with the following criteria:
    • Budget somewhere around the £4K mark. (A little less would be good).
    • Ideally I'd like it to be capable of displaying 1080i at full resolution (1920x180) - but this doesn't seem to be possible until the price hits £10K+ (with a few exceptions - maybe there are some more I've missed).
    • I've decided that I don't want a front-projector. This was a really tough decision, but, when it comes down to it, it's going to have to work with the curtains open and/or the lights on, so however fabulous the DLP and DILA projectors may be getting these days, they won't do.
    • I want, at least sometimes, to be able to use it as a PC monitor. This (I think) means that it's got to have square pixels, otherwise it will mess up the aspect ratio. (Am I right about that?)
    • Eventually I'll be looking to buy a separate scaler for it (iscan HD+ perhaps) or go down the the HCPC route (possibly with SDI mods in either case). So the long-term goal is to have the best possible image after scaling - but in the mean time it must do a reasonable job of displaying 576p/50Hz (from an Arcam DV27) and 576i/50Hz (from a Sky+ box).
    • I want it to be compatible with Sky HD.
    • I want it to be HDCP/HDMI-capable.
    • I want it to stand a reasonably good chance of being able to handle a BluRay or HD-DVD player a couple of years from now.
    • It should still be working well after 20,000 hours of use. (I watch a hell of a lot of TV!)
    • Sound/audio capabilities are irrelevant.
    • I care a great deal about the picture, but not about any other aspect of its appearance.
    • Mustn't be too noisy (i.e. buzz, hum, fan noise).
    • It shouldn't suffer from screen-burn as a result of nearly everything I watch on Sky having subtitles. (I'm partially deaf and I really need them).
    • It needs to be able to display a non-anamorphic TV signal quite a lot of the time without stretching the image, and without getting screen-burn at the sides of the picture while doing it.
    My first thought was a 50" plasma, maybe something like a Panasonic 50-PHD7BS from avsales - but I'm anxious about Sky HD compatibility, and screen-burn issues.

The 45" Sharp Aquos Titanium looks rather nice - 1080p :thumbsup: and seems to support virtually all signal formats - but the cheapest I can find it is £4705 (from this place) and that's a bit more than I can afford :mad: ; I'm a bit anxious about the picture quality with a non-scaled source; I don't really want to pay that much for its sound system, which I won't use; and I'm also worried about the lifespan of the backlight.

Some of the DLP rear-projection TVs that are due to launch in america soon sound like they might be a good option (1080p!) but God only knows when we'll see them in the U.K.

Any other suggestions?

:lease:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    hello nicholas long time no see....been down this road before IIRC....... PErsonally a demo of 45" GD1E is needed (i would hope sharp will launch some more 45" models soon) also the new 50"+ e-Alis Fujitsus will be worth a look....... (tho not1080 lines native) you could go for a Custom RPTV, a PJ with a rearpro screen (built into a light box it could give very good results) but a lot of work and money......Does it need to be flat display????

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hold out for Fujitsu, maybe they will save us from this nightmare. All your primary requiements are easy, it's that dreaded skyHD that really screws it up. For God's sake, 720P@50Hz with HDCP, how hard can it be? How did sky come to pick the least supported HD format in the universe? Sorry, ranting after discovering yet another debacle.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Yeah. I got so depressed last time I just ran away and hid and didn't buy anything at all. :(

Actually it's the fact that 50" plasma screens suddenly seem to be available for not much over £3500 that has mostly me interested again.

Any understanding places in or near London able to demo this well?

Must check that out.

Well, it needs to be flat rather than curved. It doesn't necessarily have to be thin, if that's what you mean.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Oh, one other possibility that might be interesting is if there's a small screen capable of displaying very high resolutions well. Something like Apple's "cinema" monitors. I'm not too sure about them as such - the aspect ratio isn't 16:9, which concerns me - but if there's a really good quality picture available, it doesn't necessarily have to be large. Getting things to display on a screen like that will require some ingenuity (are HCPCs actually capable of scaling something to 2560x1600?) but if the screen only costs £2K then there would be cash left over for video capture cards, etc. sooner rather than later.