1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All I need now is a Screen.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by frozendexter, Aug 20, 2005.

1. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So I've pre orderd my 360 :thumbsup: , and carn't wait for the PGR3 goodness, but now I want to get a nice flat HD ready screen to use with it. Has anybody used the Samsung LE32R41B with an Xbox, and whats the picture / responce time like for gameing.

Or do you lot have any other recomendations for a good, 26 - 32" flat screen.

Cheers. :smashin:

2. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi mate you would no dout get better advice asking this ? in the plasma forums as there will be more people who could help you.

I have a nice 42" plasma just waiting for my xbox 360 to arrive :thumbsup:

you cant beet plasma mate only problem is they are very exspensive

good luck !

3. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    But remember that many of even the current models are still not High Definition but only 854x480 pixels. You need at least 1280x720 for High Definition TV.

4. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've already got a nice Pio 434 HDE, but thats in the living room where I'm barred from using the Xbox. :(

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    the 23/26" version of the samsung you mention is being used by Microsoft in their 360 demo pods to show off the console. So it should be a pretty good match for it.

6. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    quote 'You need at least 1280x720 for High Definition TV.'

That statement is incorrect nigel, having you never heard of scaling ?

7. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So a Plasma screen that does 854x480 pixels Isnt a HD screen.

8. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    No it isn't HD but it can scale 720 to the native res of the screen, 720p xbox games look so much better than 480p games on my SD plasma screen. We need gizlaroc in this thread. :D

Have a read of this Thread

9. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    No. Your statement is incorrect. Downscaling 720 lines to 480 is not High Definition TV.

10. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Downscaling a 720p image will never look as good as watchin a 720p image on a 720p screen. As nigelbb has said downscaling a 720p image to a standard def res is NOT hd. You must have a minimum of 720p.

11. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    quote:'No. Your statement is incorrect. Downscaling 720 lines to 480 is not High Definition TV'

Nigel, did I mention 480 lines, I don't think I did.I've got a PV500 with native resolution of 1024x768, It's a HD Television so your original statement that you require a minimum resolution of 1280x720 for HD TV is in fact incorrect.scaling is a complex mathematic process and will display 720p/1080i on a 1024x768 screen every bit as well as a 1280x720 screen.

Also if your 1280x720 screen doesn't support 720p/50hz it will not be suitable for HD Sky broadcasts and will not work with PAL50 Xbox 360 games so resolution isn't everything when considering HD TV.

br14n, your comments about scaling and having to have a minimum of 720p are nonsense, get yourself over to the plasma forum and start a thread explaining your views and you'll get flamed.

12. Zedd

Zedd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently use my XBox on an LG RE44SZ21RD (DLP) 44" rear projection screen via the s-video connection on the front and it's brilliant. However I am really looking forward to connecting the XBox 360 via the component video connections on the back. I play a progressive scan DVD player through them at the moment and the picture is unbelievable.

Cheers

Zedd

13. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Korum - br14n is mostly correct. For a display to be considered HD Ready, it must adhere to the principles laid out by EICTA - must be able to display 720p and include either HDMI or DVI-HDCP digital inputs, as well as component analog inputs.
    Now, in some panels case's they can take a 720p signal and process it to display at the native vertical rez of the panel, if less than 720 pixels.
    So, strictly speaking you are watch HD content, but not at HD resolution, hence the conflict of opinion on this.
    Sharp's new P50 LCD is designed for 540 vertical to make broadcast SD look better, but it is HD Ready (according to them).
    Since you have a PV500 with 768 rez on the vertical, you're fine, with the exception of losing some horizontal resolution.

14. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Take a look in the LCD forum, theres one hell of a post on the Samsung LE32R41B, with lots of xbox info (pics as well), heres my post from that forum.

I first tried Halo 2 through RGB scart, I wasnt overly impressed, there was a little ghosting and the picture appeared to be 'washed out'.

I bought a cheap component lead from ebay for about £7. I tried Forza in 480p, the picture was better than RGB, but still not outstanding.

In 720p the TV really comes into its own, both Soul Calibur 2 and Tony Hawks pro skater 4 look amazing, i cannot give a fault in this mode.

1080i is just pure bliss, MTX vs ATV unleashed looks absolutely stunning, vibrant colours, extremely sharp, and you can see every last detail.

I have downloaded some HD sample videos from Microsoft website, they are in WMV format, when I try to stream them through XBMC it comes on for a split second (no picture just sound) then goes back to XBMC screen, anyone know what the problem is??

I cant wait for the Xbox 360, every game in 720p will look top!

15. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    XBMC just choked. There is no way that a PIII Celeron 733Mhz CPU is going to be powerful enough to play back these HD videos. The Microsoft recommendation is for a minimum spec PC is a 2.4 GHz processor plus 384 MB of RAM & a 64 MB video card. Optimal configuration is a 3.0 GHz processor plus 512 MB of RAM & a 128 MB video card.