All Hitachi PJ TX100 owners couldnt put it better!!!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thepostman, Dec 7, 2004.

1. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personal review found on USA Forums this morning!!! look for high end Digital Projectors thread and then the massive!! Official Hitachi Tx1oo thread...................www.avsforum.com
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

now another subject, more on topic if you like. I have my pj-tx100 and i have to say i am impressed big time. I wanted to wait until I had viewed a few different sources before posting opinions as i felt it would provide a more balanced view. I have used a denon 1910, samsung dvd-hd931 and my htpc, all over dvi at 720p. I also tested 480p on the denon and the samsung and 720p component on my liteon lvd-2001. I have watched both high definition material at 720p and dvds at 480p and scaled up to 720p. As some of you may remember, i had already purchased a sanyo z3 and returned it due to issues with the hdmi input and soft image over component. I bought the hitachi because it seems that it suffers from none of these problems but I was not prepared for just how much better it was. I am now firmly converted to the thinking that published figures from the manufacturer really do mean nothing.. the sanyo is supposed to have nearly twice the contrast ratio of the hitachi but i swear the image on this hitachi unit is nearly twice as good.. I would attribute this to many factors, the black level ridicules the sanyo imho, as does the colour reproduction. There have been no errors or annoying glitches in over 20 hours of viewing, not something that I could say of the sanyo, I see no VB(more on that later), in fact nothing at all that i could describe as annoying. I do have a really high threshold for quality but for the first time in years i have been able to sit and watch movies without thinking `that could look better` and reaching for the remote to tweak it.. now of course i am not saying that the image could not be better in any way, but i am saying that this projector produces an image so good that i can finally enjoy movies without distraction. I know there will be some of you out there who understand what i mean. So to sum up, I have had a first hand experience of the panasonic 700, the sanyo z3, my old z1 that i have had for 2 years and an x1. All of these units have been flawed in some way and all of them had the `if only` factor that this hitachi has finally surpassed. this is the best image i have yet seen in my home cinema, maybe it was just a lucky find and it fits my tastes particularly well but i dont care, measurements and published specs aside i just love th image from this unit. my recommendation is to get the room totally dark, set up gamma custom 1 to +14 +12 +10 +8 +6 +4 +2 +0, iris to 0 and tweak brightness and contrast with the thx optimizer. i have watched 6 or so movies with this setting without reaching for the remote once, and for me that is saying something. I feel that once i have my goo screen ready I will be able to enjoy this unit for years without the itch to better it. I have observed another thing that i find interesting during my time testing the unit that is worth mentioning... vertical banding is something that has always got on my nerves, but i have realised that what i had thought was vb in most cases was actually an artifact of scaling produced by the player, not by the projector at all.. i would hazard a guess that more than a few people who think they are seeing vb are actually seeing the by product of horzontal scaling of the image. I say this after watching some wm9 high def files at 720p and i can tell you there are no lines in the image at all, not even 2 ft from an 8ft wide screen. but i can see feint vertical lines in the image on sky and fog etc from any source that is not native 720p, like dvd scaled up to 720p for example. interestingly this is different on each different player, less on the htpc than any stand alone, on hd content and games from the pc over dvi there are no lines anywhere, the image is flawless. I`m sure i`m not the first to notice this but i would urge anyone thinking of buying an hd projector to check it with an hd source at native resolution before assuming it suffers from vb.

bottom line:

No vb
    Superb image
    works with everything i have plugged in first time
    great menu for tweakers
    excellent black level
    if you cant watch in the dark, open up that iris and watch it embarrass a z3 or ae700. you really can watch it in daylight at iris 10

ohh and did i mention that the case design is superb, looks really cool in my living room.. gonna get my hands on a decent camera and post you all some shots real soon, and for all you guys who thought the tx100 is not a contender against the ae700 and z3.. you dont know what you are missing.

happy with my purchase? you bet your a** i am

2. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Look forward to some nice pics, could save me 300 quid.
    Azzo.

3. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I agree, the pq from the Z3 using component is a bit disappointing. Soft and poor contrast. The whole picture lacks enough punch for me. But from a PC the pq is really excellent (for LCD) with only contrast being a problem. That said I would imagine that there are few if any LCD projectors other than the new Sony that will better it's contrast to any signifigant extent. But all LCD pjs have their issues and it would seem that the Sony is no exception.

Glad to hear that you are very happy with your purchase...enjoy, that's waht it's supposed to be about

4. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well a friend of mine has the TX100, and I really can't agree with that review.
    I didn't know what VB was until he pointed it out during some snow scenes in star wars 5 - then it was very obvious to me. Blacks were also not black, more like grey.

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    BTW, you really are opening yourself up to take critism with a provotive statement lke that :oops:

6. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    I am a very happy TX100 owner. Pics and screenshots can be seen on my website. I have seen the Z3 and Pana 700, and could see no reason to change.

However, anybody who says their LCD PJ doesn't suffer from VB hasn't played the right material. An LCD will have some measure of VB, just like every DLP I have vieweed has some degree of rainbow. Its just that some material highlights this more than others.

At this time, I'm only planning to change the TX100 if a 1080 panel LCD PJ hits the market, or a DLP with no rainbow is produced. (or I just change it for the hell of it! ;))

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If anyone wants to see impressive screenshots, I suggest you take a looks at UrbanTs web site :thumbsup:

8. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Screenshots are easy. Look at this one I took, right after I had unpacked my PT-AE700 (no adjustment of settings), coming out of a shoddy VGA cable, onto a standard white plasterboard wall..

www.eple.dk/images/david.jpg

9. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    and usually pretty worthless, but good fun none-the-less

10. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly, that was what I was trying to say :laugh:

11. boksbox

boksbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Nice pics, don't want to be a pedant but doesn't having posters on the wall defeat any matt paint effect you've used?

12. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    Hi Boksbox. You really need to see the room, but there are no windows at all, giving total light control. The frames use anti-glare plastic over the posters, rather than glass. Also, because the room is long and thin, you only see a thin profile of the picture.

Therefore, the pictures offer no distraction when you watch a film, if they did, they would be out the door :)

As for screenshots, totally agree with the above. Just a bit of fun thats worthless in terms of comparison. Only mentioned them as one of the posters above requested some :cool:

13. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just a quick comparison question as all of my sources are component. "Z3 using component is a bit disappointing. Soft and poor contrast"
    How does the hitachi cope with component (480p 525p)?
    Azzo.