All Freeview HD channels now using 1080i/1080p GOP switching?

Clem_Dye

I'm sure that I read an article last week somewhere (and I can't recall where, annoyingly) that all of the Freeview HD channels are now using the 1080i/1080p GOP switching, not just BBC HD. Is that correct? I haven't noticed any issues thus far, just curious.

Clem

Colin London

Novice Member
Yes - just checked and all four HD channels are switching between 1080i/50 & 1080p/25 according to their content.

I believe that this had to happen before the fifth channel was added as it helps retain PQ when the bitrates are brought down to 8Mbps per channel on average (although don't forget that H.264/MPEG-4 is being used, not MPEG-2).

Colin London

Novice Member
Incidentally, applications for the fifth HD channel capacity had to be in by today. Wonder when we'll find out who made an application.

I'm still wondering whether Channel 5 are out of their exclusivity deal with Sky yet.

Clem_Dye

Their loss perhaps, but as there's so little worth watching on C5 something like E4/More4/Film4 would be perhaps a better bet.

Clem

jack616

Novice Member
If they put another damned sports or cooking channel on I'm going to find someone to throw my box at....

Boostrail

Their loss perhaps, but as there's so little worth watching on C5 something like E4/More4/Film4 would be perhaps a better bet.

Clem
Not E4HD or More4HD please.......:suicide: Not withstanding my personal dislike of the content, these channels are all SD content and thus only upscaled for HD

But Film 4 ...yes please:) I get Film 4 HD on my main TV via VM cable- IMHO best movie channel available and yes even c/w the various Sky movies HD channels

Last edited:

Boostrail

To get back on thread I am still confused how this works with a Freeview HD STB where the output to the TV is fixed as 1080i or 1080p ( or even 720p) iresespective of the input HD format?

glassblower

Standard Member
This has caused problems with all Freeview HD channels on my LG 50pk590. Screen keeps going black very briefly like a camera shutter. Hope LG can fix this soon with a FW update as it spoils the viewing.

Neil

lbear

Novice Member
To get back on thread I am still confused how this works with a Freeview HD STB where the output to the TV is fixed as 1080i or 1080p ( or even 720p) iresespective of the input HD format?
The set top box will upscale or uprate as appropriate and will therefore output a constant signal. The problems appear to be arising in early FVHD televisions due to the fast switching which the internal upscaling firmware/hardware does not seem to like.

Boostrail

The set top box will upscale or uprate as appropriate and will therefore output a constant signal. The problems ......
Exactly my point so this will have no effect on anyone using an FVHD box even though it may detect and detail the differences in the incoming signal, its output to the TV will be constant.

So my premise is that the full effects of this switching will only be apparent on a FVHD IDTV. (Notwithstanding of course the problems caused by this switching on first generation FVHD IDTV's)

glassblower

Standard Member
LG has fixed this issue on my 50PK590 with a firmware update. Now at v03.03.04 but only seems to be available when the TV is connected to the internet for updates. This newer FW was not showing on the LG website, although it may be now.

It was quite simple to see that the i/p switching was at fault on my particular TV. Press the info button on remote which displayed whether 1080i or 1080p. When the picture flashed the i changed to a p, or vice versa.

All fixed now. Thank you LG and in particular to Tom on thier UK helpdesk who didn't treat me like an idiot.

Neil

figrin_dan

I noticed the same clicking with a Samsung tv. I then found that I'd left the Audio description channel on and the standard audio didn't click. I guess there aren't too many visually impaired people watching the HD channels to complain.

Trending threads

Top Bottom