1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All format Disc Player: Worth investing in or not?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Knightshade, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi All,
    Interested in peoples thoughts about all format disc players. For instance the Linn Unidisk? I don't actually own any SACD DVDA MP3 (Shudder) but was wondering whether these formats are actually taking off at all or are they about to die?
    Also what else is there around that plays everything?

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Pio 575 plays everything. It plays DVDs very well, no complaints about SACD/DVD-A but it's not state-of-the-art - but then again it's less than £100. I'd class SACD / DVD-A as interesting rather than a "must have" format. War of the Worlds on SACD is worth a try...PJ :)

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    When I first got into DVD, my ideal player was one that played DVD's well but would also do justice with CD's. The manufacturers still had CD player sales as an important part of their portfolio and my presumption was they did not want DVD to encroach on that. Consequently my Sony 536 sounded like a cat being tortured with CD's despite the fact they were capable of making half decent CD players. Now things are very different because DVD players are the big seller. The tables are also turned because the hardware makers own the record companies and are behind the new formats so it is in their interests to piggy back their prefered format on the back of their big selling hardware to try and stimulate sales. It worked for me, my Panasonic S75 resulted in me trying DVD-Audio. My Denon resulted in me trying SACD. For me the idea of a universal player is close to my original vision of a single optical media player that did each format well. However in my experience, in order to get a player that does everything very well, you have to spend quite a lot. Sorry if I have rambled! :D