All for one remote (URC-7960) STB + DVD smart control

Mark34

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm very impressed with this remote but I want to use it in smart control mode so that it controls STB + DVD on pressing the watch movie button. The reason is that my Mum uses the TV and it's tuner to watch TV normally, and then uses a STB and DVD to record programs as and when required. I would like her to be able to press the watch movie button, choose a channel on the STB and then press the record button so the DVD kicks in. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Mark

The normal method with universal remotes is to have two Watch TV "activities" to allow for the two different combinations of devices.

It has a thing called smart control where you can control multiple devices at the same time. For instance the record button effects the DVD, the number buttons choice a channel on the TV without having to swap devices. There a 3 buttons, maybe equivalent to activities, Watch TV, listen to Music, etc. which by entering a number as well you can control a combination of devices such as...

1 = TV + STB (The volume controls TV volume, numbers STB channels, etc)
2 = TV + STB + AMP
3 = TV + AMP

For each of these activities buttons it only gives you 3 or 4 possible combination like above. I want to add an additional combination like...

4 = STB + DVD

There's nothing in the instructions so I'm guessing it's too complex to map each key to an operation on the devices in question without PC software used on more complex remotes. Still recommend the remote as only £20!

If you don't use the transport keys (Play, Record etc) in STB mode, you could probably learn the DVD functions from the original remote onto these keys in STB Mode. The Watch TV function will then punch throuygh to the STB Mode, but the functions sent will be for the DVD.

Hope this helps

i have a one for all smart control. Its great for the price, but in some ways i wish i'd gone with a bigger budget and got a harmony.

the watch tv thing is flawed.... as although it will control mutiple devices at once, you still have to turn them on one by one. you could assign a macro, but then if you go from watch tv to watch dvd you'll end up turning the tv off!

If you don't use the transport keys (Play, Record etc) in STB mode, you could probably learn the DVD functions from the original remote onto these keys in STB Mode. The Watch TV function will then punch throuygh to the STB Mode, but the functions sent will be for the DVD.

Hope this helps

This sounds like an interesting option as remote does have a way of learning from other remotes. I defo experiment with this....cheers

i have a one for all smart control. Its great for the price, but in some ways i wish i'd gone with a bigger budget and got a harmony.

the watch tv thing is flawed.... as although it will control mutiple devices at once, you still have to turn them on one by one. you could assign a macro, but then if you go from watch tv to watch dvd you'll end up turning the tv off!

It's a Xmas present for my Mum as she has now gone digital but having problems getting her head around recording. She only does the basics so I don't want to spend too much cash. I was hoping I could add extra watch tv category...

4 = Just TV (so it only effects tv i.e. just turns it off)

...then in watch DVD mode....

5 = STB + DVD

In effect isolating the two things she needs to do. Doesn't seem anyway of setting this up. I guess you mean the Harmony 300i as the next step up which is prob a bit more flexible due to PC stuff.

It's a Xmas present for my Mum as she has now gone digital but having problems getting her head around recording. She only does the basics so I don't want to spend too much cash. I was hoping I could add extra watch tv category...

4 = Just TV (so it only effects tv i.e. just turns it off)

...then in watch DVD mode....

5 = STB + DVD

In effect isolating the two things she needs to do. Doesn't seem anyway of setting this up. I guess you mean the Harmony 300i as the next step up which is prob a bit more flexible due to PC stuff.

the others here a re a lot more knowledgable than me, but I believe the harmony 300i works in a similar manner as the one for all - it is not activities based. Im thinking of getting a harmony now!

Certainly a Harmony but not the very basic 300.
The older 525 is an excellent starter, the 700 not too bad, and the One as good as you need,

Just a heads-up that Tesco are selling the One for All Smart Control URC7960 for £19.97

Quite a bargain, I bought one yesterday. :smashin:

S.

thought it was worth mentioning that there is now a ps3 adaptor for this remote (another user posted elsewhere, but thought this might be useful to those searching for this remote)

thought it was worth mentioning that there is now a ps3 adaptor for this remote (another user posted elsewhere, but thought this might be useful to those searching for this remote)
That was me! :hiya:
The other thread you mention is here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/remo...one-all-remote-thats-also-ps3-compatable.html

:thumbsup:

Still can't find any links to just the PS3 adaptor though. All that's present at the moment is the bundle of the PS3 adaptor and the URC7960 remote. I think it's still early days to be fair.

S.

seems like quite a few folk here haven't looked at the manual properly..

the guy who wants to turn of different devices.. you can "learn" any remote button on any of the settings ..so you could have the power buttons all on one setting for instance.. or you could set different macros for different turn off configurations..
the macro is also very useful for using "one button click" to access multiple button click menus.. like accessing my recorded tv menu on my samsung 8500 which used to be:- "menu" >"right click" >"enter" ..now its just one button press.. "joy"
(I can also fully control the 8500 despite there being no codes for it!-- I used the "learn remote" to do this.)

the only thing I cannot find for the 8500 is a way to get it to automatically switch to the tv input its set on (my sony does this and so does the tv (samsung plasma)freeview) couldn't get the 8500 to do this even with the old remote..

What do you mean about power macros etc -

You mean turning multiple things off with one button press - you would have to map the macros to "random buttons", or to the watch tv buttons themselves. Either way it is not ideal.

you can assign any function to pretty much any of the buttons using the remote learn function.. even from different sources. so you can set it how you want.

you don't HAVE to use macros but you can do it that way.

true enough.

but it is still limiated and the smart control is badly flawed.

Yes - I can control 3 devices at once. But I still need to torn them on seperately. There is no solution - only workarounds. eg have an "on macro" which powers everything on. But messes up if I go from watching tv to watching movie (as the tv turns off).

Hey guys - I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but I've got a URC7960 and want to assign a single button to the 'movie' button (middle one on third row). Basically I want all my inputs, TV, STB, DVD etc to all have the same (tv) button assigned to it so whatever device I'm using the 'movie' button will activate a feature on my TV (aspect ratio for example). Weirldy I've foud that I can assign it to TV and STB, but not DVD, AMP, or Game?! When I try and assign it to these (Magic, 9,7,5, 'movie' -> press tv-remote button to learn) I get a single long flash of the ok-wheel blue light rather than the usual two-flashes to say it's been accepted.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Also, is there a way to delete an input - i.e I no longer want the 'game' device to be used and would like to clear down that input.

Many Thanks

it's nice to see one for all staff on the forum.

can I suggest that any issues described above are dealt with here? That way the entire forum gets to benefit rather than just one person.

Yes, your responses here to posters' enquiries will be welcome.
We usually don't allow e-mail addresses but as it will be helpful it can stay.
Don't your devices' manuals give that address though?
They certainly ought to have some means of making direct contact with the company.

@supermonkey

The smart control feature let's you oparate multiple devices in one mode.
If you want to turn everything on or off with 1 button the only solution is programming a power macro.
I can assist you with that just send me an e-mail or pm.

Regards,

Mike, One For All Webcare

Mike, thanks for your reply. I have macros set up. But they can only turn things on or off. If am watching a dvd & want to change to watching tv, the dvd player has to be manually switched off. Doing so takes you out of smart control mode.

Mike, thanks for your reply. I have macros set up. But they can only turn things on or off. If am watching a dvd & want to change to watching tv, the dvd player has to be manually switched off. Doing so takes you out of smart control mode.

Our products do not have Smart State technology like Logitech, so the 7960 does not know if your device is on or off. As a solution I can suggest if you have a power macro programmed on the activity to send the same macro out again so everything switches off and press watch TV to turn everything back on in the right mode.

Our products do not have Smart State technology like Logitech, so the 7960 does not know if your device is on or off. As a solution I can suggest if you have a power macro programmed on the activity to send the same macro out again so everything switches off and press watch TV to turn everything back on in the right mode.

Yes, I understand that the remote is not as advanced as a Harmony One for example.

My point is that the whole smart control way of doing things is pointless. It becomes easier to just control each device seperately. Nobody wants macros to turn the tv off, only to turn straight back on again with the next macro. Instead, I just manually change av, power dvd on, turn set top box off!

One type of universal remote acts as if it were each of the original remotes taken one at a time when required.
The other controls several devices at the same time without having to change from one to the other.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom