All electric house(no gas)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MartinMiller, Jun 17, 2015.

1. MartinMiller

MartinMiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Does anyone have an all electric house? Thinking of buying a flat but it doesn't have G.C.H only electric storage heating and was wondering about cost and heat generated?

Cheers
    Martin

2. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Storage heating is a complete waste. I think having electric for cooking is all right it's just when it comes to heating that is when electric is far more expensive than gas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi, my house is 'all electric', I did not have a choice as there are no gas mains in my road. The heating is provided by storage heaters and we find them quite good, need to be a bit of a weather forecaster however. The overall cost per annum for my 3 bed house is roughly £850, this is for everything, I think that this a pretty good these days.

4. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,242
    So you only pay approx £70 p/m for all your energy and that includes winter heating? If so thats amazing.

5. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Yup, this is so, this is the average that I would pay over the year, my payment per month at the moment is £68, but this can change (variable DD). I should add though that it is only my wife and myself now, the kids 'have flown the nest', hence no major drain on the National Grid:laugh:.

6. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,299
    I had a flat with electric storage heaters, Hated them, made the house seem dry and if the weather took an unexpected warn turn you're sitting in the house roasting or opening windows to vent out heat you've had to pay for.

Would never buy unless there was a gas main now.

7. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Plus side is that there is less cost involved in no annual servicing required of storage heaters. The downside is the lack of flexibility, though make sure at least one heater in the lounge has a convector attached (or buy a separate one for chilly nights). If used at its most efficient it can be cost effective, but there will be times when you forget to weather watch and it will be then that it takes a turn for worse and you're either freezing or trying to vent unwanted heat.

I would add that I am currently trialing Dimplex Quantum heaters in one of my properties. These are fairly new to the market and use a mixture of off peak and peak rate electricity. The plus side to these is that they are far more flexible and give off a more stable level of heating. After 8 months of logging the temperature and recording the meter readings, the manufacturer's claim that they are up to 27% cheaper to run may be a bit exaggerated but they would appear to be cheaper than 'standard' heaters.

The downside is they are more expensive than standard heaters and also require a spur supplied from the ring main as well as an off peak supply, which adds to the installation cost.

8. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,571
    For a 4 bed detached, we pay £90 a month for all energy; I thought that was about the going rate? We have a new build so it is pretty efficient I guess.

Space heaters are a mixed bag - try and get some that are at least clever and you'll be fine. Some are really basic and are not great at heating rooms at all.

9. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    One of the first things I look for in a house is GSH, wouldn't ever consider electric heating.
    It's a horrible type of heat, too dry and gives me headaches.
    If I was in love with a property with ECH, I would investigate how easy to put in gas and take it from there.

10. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    3 bed semi, 1950's = £110 a month for both (with retro-fit cavity wall and loft insulation). That's what the DD is, but I think it's over allowing so I'm expecting a rebate.

But still, £90 for a 4 bed detached seems good to me.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  11. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,571
    Yeah I thought so - Mrs likes the heat on a lot too (and takes long showers), so thought for a while before we got our first bills that it would be a nightmare! Obviously more in the winter, but that's averaged out now we have a full year in.

12. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    £90 a month for all energy, in a 4 bed house!?!?
    Are you ever in? o_O
    We also have a 4 bed detached and we're close to £90 a month for gas alone (heating/hot water/gas hob).
    The house is empty 0900 to 1500 Mon-Fri too.

13. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,242
    I pay £99 p/m electric and £30 gas. I'm in credit in both though.

I have a 3 bed semi with solid 9" walls. Ive insulated all downstairs and most of up stairs now.
    Electric is high as our gas boiler broke so had to use immersion to heat water tank.

Now got a condenser boiler but haven't had the bill yet so we'll see if its an improvement over a 14 year old boiler.

14. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    Is it a ground floor flat with a garden by any chance? I'd seriously consider installing an oil fired CHS. You cant get slimline tanks designed for urban environments and oil combi boilers are very cheap to run, especially with the current kerosene prices.

15. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    There's no mains gas where I am. Doesn't bother me as I wouldn't use it anyway.
    The electric is all in so have no energy bills as such.

16. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Our boiler is a lot older than that.
    But it's (touch wood) reliable and keeps coming out around 86% efficient on a yearly service.
    I feel I should replace it, but keep putting it off.

17. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    I don't pay for gas or electricity by DD. Worked out it would save me about a tenner a year and that wasn't enough – when I did pay by DD I found it a massive hassle as I was a always overpaying in the summer and underpaying in the winter, and the constant adjustments (it couldn't just be left to sort itself out, apparently) were a pain. I'm willing to pay £10 for retaining some element of control/knowing what's going on.

I've just checked and from summer last year to March this year it worked out as an average of just under £60 a month (obviously higher in winter months when the heating was on).

By comparison to others, that sounds obscenely cheap, so I won't complain. That's for two of us in a three-bed, five-year old house with gas central heating and electric oven/hob. Well aware that if we have kids that will go up. But still won't let her leave lights on unnecessarily all over the place!

18. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,306
    Interesting that a couple of people have mentioned they find electric heating dries the air more than GCH. I've been trying to figure out why and am stumped. Anyone got any good theories?

19. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    I've been in an Electric only property for 19 years now, one of the best things I ever did was get rid of my storage heaters and the associated split tariff.
    Storage heaters are great if you're a cat or are unemployed, but pretty much useless if you're a human with a regular job.

Low wattage (450-600) slimline panel heaters with 24hr timers are the way to go if gas isn't an option.

20. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,571
    Yes but not normally until 6pm and we leave at 8am.

There's only two of us (three in Nov!). Water is heated for showers twice a day. Gas hob.

Remember that's 90 averaged through the year - not every month the same.

We get a lot of heat stored in the house through efficiency I guess. It helps that our ground floor and upstairs heating are independently controlled - bedrooms heat from 7-8pm ish as we head to bed around 9-10.

New build benefits I suppose! Water meter is not much either - I think we use £25 a month at the moment (soak away reduces standing charges)

21. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    If you haven't got any gas just get a dyson hot and cold fan and you are sorted. :smashin:
    [​IMG]

22. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    I know I'm not a Dyson lover, but the fans are total pants. £400 and it's really no better than a £9.99 regular fan.
    Can't comment on the heater.

23. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,242
    I think using anything but a real fire/gas fire makes the air dry. Cant see what difference a wet rad or electric one would make as they are pretty much giving off the same sort of heat.

86% is very efficient for an old boiler. What efficiency did the manufacturer claim the boiler is?

Our old one was 71% but our new one is 91%

24. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Still impressive for gas and electric.
    We're around £86 a month for gas alone, direct debit spread over the year same as you.
    And if it's a hard winter I often have to pay a couple of hundred in March on top, to keep the monthly payments at that level.
    I'd rather that than increase the DD over a whole year.
    Our electricity bill would undoubtedly go down if the wife didn't insist the kitchen was lit up like a showroom at all times....

25. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,571
    I have swapped the eight GU10 halogens (40w) in the kitchen for 5w LED (cool, not warm on the Kelvin scale) and it has made a fairly decent difference - brighter and whiter (ideal in kitchen) and eight bulbs is the equivalent of one of the old ones. Screwfix do a 5-pack for £20 and they are 346 lumen (50w equivalent), with a three year warranty. I can't recommend them enough!

As mentioned, the separate heating thermostats/timers upstairs/downstairs helps a lot. Heat from downstairs warms upstairs slightly of course. I expect bills to go up when Little Fox comes along (constant 20 degrees 24/7 no doubt), but we don't go out of our way to turn everything off all the time (I have a Revo media server on 24/7 which consumes 26w at full load). It makes me feel like the new build really is as efficient as they say, when the anecdotal evidence in this thread shows that bills in existing builds are a bit higher.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  26. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Champion tip on the LEDs, cheers.

27. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,571
    No problem. Home Bargains sell them cheap, but, Screwfix warranty is a non-issue - you go in and it's normally no-questions asked. I'm not sure less "consistent" outlets would have the same level of service.

I had one DOA, and it was taken back immediately and swapped out. Plus they have a pretty "manly" catalogue to sift through for any other projects (it got me to learn electrics and I rewired a new lighting system for my dart board in the garage!).

LEDs have come such a long way now; they're definitely nearing "perfection" for me, in that they are direct equivalents to their halogen counterparts. I'm starting to explore the feasibility of LED bayonet "60w" styles on pendants next, as the CCFL 11w energy savers are a bit rubbish in comparison!

28. a l e x

a l e x
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,694
    I had a few problems when I moved into my new house as the old owner was submitting meter readings that were too high... Finally got my first bill. £190 for the 3 months Feb - May. Our DD is £74 a month so obviously building up a bit for winter.

3 bed, detached house. The boiler was serviced this morning, it's the original boiler so now 18 years old. Still works absolutely fine. He said it's constantly using gas as its a permanent pilot light but apart from that it's fine. Was tempted to replace it with a new eco one but think I'll leave it a while longer.

We've replaced the front, back and patio doors to new ones which made a huge difference and added a nest thermostat which again makes a difference. Our loft only has 100mm insulation at the moment so will top that up at some point which should help.

Will be happy if we can stay at around £74 a month though!

29. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    LED lights are definitely the way forward and I am slowly replacing all my old CCFL bulbs with them. I tend to pick them up from Aldi when they come in on one of their special deals. Picked up a couple dimmable ones the other day from there which were very reasonable.

30. TheProperJayC

TheProperJayC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    We're all electric as there's no gas in our village.

New build house with an air source heat pump which heats up the hot water tank and radiators.
    4 bed detached with 4 people and it costs us £80 a month on electric :thumbsup: