1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All confused

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by superaffordable, Feb 10, 2003.

1. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am so confused that I cant even find the very right place to post this

I have a 42 LG plasma and all the like (dvd, box, etc)

Due to my lack of knowledge, I thought that by buying a good hi-fi, ie, the panasonic thecnicks with the dvd player incorporated and 5:1 surround sound I will kill two birds of one stone and I would have, good music and good sound both in TV and music as well as having a dvd player (maybe some of yours dont classify this as good but to me £700 for a hifi can only be called good)

Anyway, the point of posting this is because I really CANNOT find any particulary great sound coming out of all this set up after I have expend lots of money and my question is:

Would the quality of the movies (all around not just DVD's) will improve that much if rather than using the above hi-fi for the surround sound I buy myself a "half decent (£300??) home cinema kit??

Thanks very much for your help. I am just scare spending any more money without knowing if the extra expenditure is going to be worth

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Dear Mr Superaffrodable.....

Perhaps you might consider listening and viewing equipment before buying it. Forget what anyone tells you as no-one can tell you whether "£300" is enough or not. You have to work it out for yourself.

Gordon

3. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon

the £300 was just a figure as it could have been another one and I have to say VERY dissapointed that I am still to find many staffs in a shop that knows what they are selling and than they are able to help to a reasonable level, hence your sugestion is questionable if you know what I mean

Basically my question is (just in case this make it easy to be answered:

To a given price (same price for home cinema than for hi-fi), will a proper home cinema kit, 5:1 - subwoofer, etc give more far noticeable quality of sound for movies than will do a hi-fi with 5:1 -subwoofer, etc, conected to the tv??

Thanks

4. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you get good sound with DVDs? The reason I ask is that the DVD will usually have a 5.1 soundtrack so you should at least get sound which can be processed by your hi fi and steered to the correct speakers. But if you are using, say, your VCR as a source or you are watching terrestial TV (not sure about Sky digital - I don't have it) then at best you will be getting Nicam stereo and maybe Pro Logic, which isn't that impressive when compared to Dolby 5.1. I'm not sure what your sound is lacking or what you were expecting? But if the source material doesn't have good sound, the amp won't help much.

Cheers,

Nick

5. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick

"Do you get good sound with DVDs? "

- Not really sure about this as I have seen very few dvd's and no one with exceptional sounds effect to give an answer.
    I guess is not bad but more definitely NOT to be worth any extra expend if you know what I mean

I mean, I heard louder, also I heard sound coming from all the speakers, BUT in no time I feel like impressed or anything like it

Maybe you are right and I was just expecting more hence I could never be happy with what I am actually getting

Can you give me a DVD title which you know for sure have exceptional sound scenes for this testing purposes and I will post after listening to it?

Thanks again

6. goliath23

goliath23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just watch (or listen to) any action movie on DVD and you should hear a huge difference compared to action scenes on regular TV.

For example the first battle scene (Chapter 1 or 2) on the GLADIATOR DVD will give you a impression of what is possible with Dolby Digital / DTS. During the battle you should be surrounded by the sounds of flying arrows, spears etc.

This is the movie I use if I want to "impress" somebody with my surround system:eek: But if you can't get Gladiator any other action movie will do as well (i.e. Independence Day, Star Wars Episode 1 or Episode 2), watch for battle scenes.

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,415
    Sounds to me like you need to do some reading.
    Go to our sister site www.homecinemachoice.com and have a read through the FAQ and the articles. They cater for the beginner.
    Ditto our other site www.totaldvd.net.
    You can spend just a few hundred quid on gear and get 5.1 output. A lot of people round here spend £300 on their subwoofer. A lot of people round hear spend nearer twice that on their sub.
    It sounds to me like you haven't got your system set up right.
    The aforementioned article should help you there.

8. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Spectre

This first link is really really answering most of my questions in good depth

Thanks you all guys