All channel audio to one output possible? (Yamaha RX-V3900)

junkets

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am trying to help my dad connect a hearing aid unit to his yamaha rx-v3900 amp. The unit uses rca jacks to connect to an audio output which then wirelessly transmits the audio to his hearing aids. I can't seem to figure out how to output all audio (not individual channels like tv, dvd, etc) from the yamaha to the unit. I can get it to work using the headphone jack (with adapter) on the front panel, but then mom can't hear whats playing!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

The main option would be to connect the device to the pre-out FL+FR connections. The issue you will find is that your father will then miss out on the centre channel where most of the dialogue happens. The way around this is to go back to the settings menu and set the centre speaker to 'none'. This will redirect all centre channel/dialogue info to the front left and right channels - aka phantom centre. That way everyone else will still be able to have full surround sound and your father will have the front channels, no rear surround info. Your father will also be subject to any volume changes that anybody applies so I hope this unit has its own volume to protect his ears.

Another option would be to use the Zone 2 output as this volume can be controlled separately but this only works for analogue input, not digital so bluray/dvd cannot be heard through this connection.

Hope that helps

I appreciate your response larkone.

Unfortunately dad is unhappy with these solutions. The hearing aid unit does indeed have its own volume control, so no worries there. In the other room mom & dad have a small sony bravia that I can connect the hearing aid unit to and dad gets all audio transmitted directly to his ears and mom can listen via the speakers - nice and simple and works well. In the tv room, with the fancy amp, speakers and projector I can't seem to get it to work - are there no rca jacks which always output all sound on the yamaha?

You could try the output jacks for the DVR/VCR - these are fixed line level outputs though not sure how the Yamaha handles digital output to these. The fancy setup is your problem. Thea easy way would be to connect to your TV/Projector by HDMI, let the amp do the its job for everyone else and connect the hearing aid unit to the headphone out on the TV but as you say you have a (unspecified) projector.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom