All BBC channel's lose their signal but not the others.

Brian L

Established Member
Reaction score
My son has just given me a TV and all of the BBC Channels lose their signal while the other channels don't. Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, I recently saw something on tuning a TV on the forum but can't find it now.

Almost certainly an aerial problem. Channels are transmitted in groups, or muxes, so it is possible to miss out on a whole block of channels whilst receiving others. The sensitivity of some TVs is better than others. A manual tune can sometimes help once you know the frequency of channels in your area.

If you have any equipment connected to the Tv by an HDMI lead temporarily remove it as they have been known to leak RF and can wipe out reception on some channels or a group of channels.

As I said above, "my son has just given me a TV" but I still have my old one and BBC is perfect on that and I have had a TV Ariel person in to check the Ariel and he said its perfect. One of the problems with old age is that one can remember TV repair places where one could get a TV checked but I have no idea if they still exist.

You haven't stated if you had anything connected to the Tv with an HDMI lead like a Sky box, Virgin Media cable box, Bluray or DVD player etc?
Was the set that your son gave brand new in a sealed box or previously used at another location?
If used at another location it may have been tuned to another transmitter.
Have you, your son or the aerial man tried retuning it?

Last edited:
but I still have my old one and BBC is perfect on that

So did you remove the old one and put the new one in it's place using the same leads etc or is the new one in a different room on another aerial point?
Sorry for all the questions here but we're trying to help.

I didn't remove the old one and put the new one in it's place using the same leads etc. I just plugged an ariel cable from the new one into the existing ariel socket.
Having said that I will set the new one up in the same way as the old one was which was connected to a DVD player and let you know what happens. I hope it dose not work that way because that is precisely what my wife suggested I should so.

What does "SWMBO" mean?
Right, I connected the TV up to the ariel through the DVD player and BBC was perfect. However, channel 20 which is showing "Silent Witness" which my dear wife wanted to watch was then as bad as the BBC used to be so I had to revert to the old set up. I'm at a complete loss.

"She who must be obeyed" all our wives are this [emoji1]
DVD players don't have aerial inputs/outputs so it must be a DVD recorder.
I ask again, is it connected to the TV by an HDMI lead or a scart lead?
Have you tried retuning the new TV?

Last edited:
I have tried retuning the new TV a number of times with no change to BBC. Because I am very old I have a number of VHS tapes so I have a VHS player. Paying due deference to the younger members of my family who visit I have a DVD something or other called a "Cambridge Audio" which we use for the grandchildren and it most certainly does have aerial inputs/outputs. As it is at the moment the BBC channels are working. I will let you know tomorrow morning if that is still the case. Having said that I wonder if there is a way to tune a TV that exceeds the ability of the simple version that most TVs use and more to the point is it possible to have a TV set checked out at a reasonable cost.

Have you tried plugging the aerial directly into the tv aerial socket, not via your dvd player/recorder? From what you are saying you are probably using SCART connections. A digital TV is either tuned, or it isn't. It doesn't make any difference whether you use automatic tuning or do it manually. I still feel your aerial system is not giving sufficient signal to accommodate all the channels you want. Some makes of TV require a higher level of signal than others.

I have tried plugging the aerial directly into the TV aerial socket and I don't think it has any scart connections other than the one I use to connect my Inductive Loop device to. I have tune it automatically so often I can do it blindfolded and I'm not certain that it is anything to do with the aerial because when I re-connect the old TV the BBC channels come in perfectly. It’s now become a test of my patience to solve this problem so firstly I'm having the TV aerial person in with their signal measuring again and if that’s working properly the TV set is going to be checked. My bet is on the TV having a fault.

It would be extremely unusual for a TV to have a fault where it would tune in some channels and not others. We would be interested to know the outcome of your dilemma.

I swapped the old TV with the new one and everything works especially the BBC channels but the TV repair people my wife spoke to suggested that it may be worth trying a Freeview or Top box. What does anyone think?

What make/model is the TV your son gave you and was it brand new or used & you've fallen heir to it?

The TV set is a 48 inch Logik I think. He converted a double decker bus into living accommodation with a mobile classroom with a load of spiders such as Tarantulas, Scorpions and the like which he used to drive round the country to schools and give lectures to school children. This means that the TV has been subjected to considerable temperature variations, bums and jumps which I'm sure did the TV no good. Having said that someone did suggest a "Fine Tune" whatever that is.

There is no way you can 'fine tune' a digital television. As I have said you can either tune it automatically or manually. Its either tuned or it isn't. There are no half measures.

Using a set top box between the aerial and the TV might help. Some of them are more sensitive to poor signals than others. How are you going to connect it to the TV? The Logik brand is generally a budget import sold through Argos, Currys or the like and is unlikely to be a good candidate for a repair. Often it is better to replace an old set rather than waste money on extending its life only to have it fail again. Most TV repair shops will charge you £80 just to have a look before they even do anything. There are numerous posts across the internet about Logik TVs that have failed in one way or another. How old is this TV?

There is just a remote chance (very) that your BBC signal might be too strong. Do you live very close to your local transmitter? This sometimes can affect reception.

With all respect I note from your previous postings that you experienced tuning problems with a 10 year old Panasonic and asked how its 'computer' could be replaced. We all have to accept that televisions do not have as long a reliable life as we might like and they need a new replacement. Prices have dropped considerably from 10 years ago. I once paid close on £1000 for a 24" Sony. Now they can be obtained for £200. A new TV might be a worthwhile investment especially if you need reliable access to subtitles.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the advice which I've just picked up because what with all the children being at home and living in a village where the signal is not good I couldn't even open my Emails. Worse than that I had to go shopping with the wife but before that I looked at the cost of Top Set boxes in Argos so I persuaded the wife to go shopping at Sainsbury because Argos is near to it. Lo and behold, I asked an assistant if they stocked such things and they did at £20.00. I bought one and set it up as soon as I got home and it works except for the occasional very loud "crackle". The only slight problem is that I had used the Scart access on the Logik TV so I now need to get a dyplexa and I know they are available. So for the moment all is well and I can watch "Under the Hammer" and shout abuse at the property speculators.
I still find the whole idea of BBC having the worst signal when I would have expected it to have the most powerful one.
I don't fancy having to use two controllers so I expect I will wait for Boxing day and buy a new TV and as I'm to tight to join "Which?" I will be back to ask advice on that but thank you all very much for your advice on this.

Many thanks for the advice which I've just picked up because what with all the children being at home and living in a village where the signal is not good I couldn't even open my Emails. Worse than that I had to go shopping with the wife but before that I looked at the cost of Top Set boxes in Argos so I persuaded the wife to go shopping at Sainsbury because Argos is near to it. Lo and behold, I asked an assistant if they stocked such things and they did at £20.00. I bought one and set it up as soon as I got home and it works except for the occasional very loud "crackle". The only slight problem is that I had used the Scart access on the Logik TV so I now need to get a dyplexa and I know they are available. So for the moment all is well and I can watch "Under the Hammer" and shout abuse at the property speculators.
I still find the whole idea of BBC having the worst signal when I would have expected it to have the most powerful one.
I don't fancy having to use two controllers so I expect I will wait for Boxing day and buy a new TV and as I'm to tight to join "Which?" I will be back to ask advice on that but thank you all very much for your advice on this.

Many thanks for the advice which I've just picked up because what with all the school children being at home and living in a village where the signal is not good I couldn't even open my Emails. Worse than that I had to go shopping with the wife but before that I looked at Top Set boxes in Argos so I persuaded the wife to go shopping at Sainsbury because Argos is near to it.
Lo and behold, I asked an assistant at Sainsbury if they stocked such things and they did at £20.00. I bought one and set it up as soon as I got home and it works except for the occasional very loud "crackle" which I suspect is a tuning fault. The only slight problem is that I had used the Scart access on the Logik TV so I now need to get a diplexer but I know they are available. So for the moment all is well and I can watch "Under the Hammer" and shout abuse at the property speculators again.
I still find the whole idea of BBC having the worst signal when I would have expected it to have the most powerful one strange.
I don't fancy having to use two controllers so I expect I will wait for Boxing day and buy a new TV and as I'm to tight to join "Which?" because its so expensive I will be back to ask advice on the best buys but thank you all very much for your advice on this matter.

Not sure where you intend to use a diplexer but bear in mind they cut down the strength of the signal by about a half.

Not sure where you intend to use a diplexer but bear in mind they cut down the strength of the signal by about a half.

Since the OP mentions it just after a scart I suspect he means a scart splitter or switch box.

I'm very hard of hearing and as so many channels have rubbish subtitles I rely heavily on an Induction Loop. This is a marvellous device which takes the sound directly into the hearing aid. Its only drawback is that one is absolutely unable to communicate with ones wife, Ho Ho Ho. Having said that if the diplexer does reduce the efficiency of the induction loop its back to basics or a new TV. Many thanks for that information.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom