1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All as bad as each other . . . .

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by themmings, Apr 18, 2003.

1. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    After recently completing my AV set up - I put some thought into purchasing a PJ and thought I'd hang around here for a while.

...Bad mistake, or was it an eye opener???

From an outside view it seems that PJ's have a long, long way to go before they justify the cost - in fact, I can't even see how manufacturers can get away with selling technology that is so fault prone:confused: - take the AE100 - absolute nightmare:eek:

It seems like no matter what technology you look at (DLP/LCD in my case) there are issues.

Reliability on LCD's (lamp life, power supply issues, dust on optics etc. etc). Rainbows (I see them) on DLP's.

It makes me wonder how the likes of Home Cinema Choice can award the AE300 with an accolade, when the AE100 has been dogged by so many reliability issues, surely some thought must be taken into consideration when giving awards to these manufacturers. OK, OK its a new machine, but will Panasonic have really learn't from all the faults on the AE100.... only time will tell.

What about the Sanyo: vertical banding; and the Sony: noisy fans, false starts.

Thing is, I still want one :rotfl::blush::rotfl::blush: - what a sucker:suicide: (I just wish they were a little more stable considering the amount we have to pay for these things).

I think I'll hang fire a little and see how the AE300 stacks up reliability wise before jumping in.

Actually, considering that Europe were the last to get the AE300 - does anybody know what the general consensus regarding reliability on this machine has been from other countries?

Tim :)

2. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't recall reading about any problems with the AE300 on either this forum or AVS, and believe me I do lurk about the two a lot !!

I think Panasonic may well have learnt their lesson from the AE100 as it would look very bad on them id the 300 has the same problems as the 100 but as you say, only time will tell. Also I think this area of home entertainment is definitely becoming more popular, so they are going to try and make them as reliable as they possibly can to save any red faces in future.

I've read a few things about the Sanyo Z1 with dust getting behind the lens due to the optical lens shift feature, but they have apparently fitted a rubber gasket to stop it happening on the newer models. Seems like the manufacturers are beginning to listen to the public for once...........

I wouldn't hold off too long though, because then you'll get sucked into the new Sony technology that is apparently coming out late this year or early next, and then you'll be doing what I was for the last 6 months - reading about projectors rather than watching them !! :laugh: :laugh:

3. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi there, You make some good points especially about the Panny AE100 and the after sales nightmare stories.

A few points though if i may,

A little over 5 years ago home cinema was a good VCR at the cost of about 3 to 4 hundred quid. Even then a half decent 4:3 tv was the best part of a grand add on to that an amp and speakers and its a fair sum.

Now for a simelar price you can enjoy a good set up with DD and DTS plus widescreen enjoyment. Now i know your point was about projectors and i agree that they do have pitfalls but i think although we are overcharged here in the uk that you can pick up a decent projector and keep a TV for normal viewing.

I have just bought a Sanyo PJ and have been blown away by its performance it was £1400 which is no more than a good 32" TV.

In short i dont think we have ever had it so good in terms of choice and quality. If you want to take a peek into the world of projectors without paying top price have a look at the second hand market as you can get some really good bargains. But one word of warning make sure you can go and inspect and also see the machine running before you buy it.

If i were you i would just take the plunge when you see your DVD's on a 6,7,8 foot screen everything changes forever.

Whatever you decide good luck with your choice.
    Regards,
    John.

4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    And the great thing is (well for me anyway), is that the initial amazement and thrill of an 8ft screen hardly diminishes at all. I've had a PJ for a year now and I can tell you that right up till it went in for a repair a month ago, I was still , a couple of times a day sitting there going, "Holy Sh*t!! I've got an 8ft screen!!". With My ae100 'in for repair' I have been going through severe withdrawls. I haven't watched a single movie since, I'm like ,"whats the point, the tv's only 32inches":D :D At the moment till I get my PJ back so as I don't go totally cold turkey, I sit in my Home-Cinema room, close my eyes, and play soundtrack cds via DPLII.

Yes, I am sad!!:D :D

Go for it! Its worth the money, the hassle, and even the hush honey money!(the new kitchen she wants cause she let you buy your 'silly' toy)

5. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In my opinion the AE300 is the most reliable of all the current budget projectors (look at the HS10 issues as an example). I do not know of a single unit that has broken down yet (yes, there were one or two that were faulty to start with, but that shouldn't matter) and they do not appear to suffer from the dredded colour unitiformity problems that plagued the AE100 either. The AE300 has been around long enough now to have proven that it is top quality.

6. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ...OK, OK, where do I sign!!

You've all twisted my (already half twisted) arm :rotfl: :rotfl:

Now, electric or manual screen :laugh: :laugh:

Tim

7. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Tim,

I couldn't recommend the AE300 more, I've clocked up 100 hours on mine already and am still amazed by the picture on my 92" widescreen.

Like you I gave my pj purchase a great deal of thought, reading posts for months on the Ae100,300 sanyo Z1 and sony hs10 on this and the AVS forum.

It seemed very apparent that the 300 was the best for me in terms of quality/price/reliability combination. In the 4 or so months of posts I read about the american and japanese versions of the panny(l300u) on AVS I dont recall anyone mentioning reliability problems so fingers-crossed Panasonic have got it right this time!!!!

As far as a screen is concerned, go fixed if your room configuration allows it. I've made my own using black-out blind material - a very rewarding (and cheap) experience. Total cost was about £15 and the image looks great.

8. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the heads up tonytigerrr: I'm pleased to hear things are going well with your AE300.

Unfortunately I can't really do the fixed screen option though:(, as it's going to be in my living room (not a dedicated HC room).

The wife would go crazy if she came in to see a fixed screen in the living room:eek:

The plan is for the screen to drop down in front of the plasma for those BIG nights.

Tim:)

9. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like you have spent months trying to decide on what to do.

Trying to decide the exact same thing. I have just ordered my first PJ (which was g=hard enough!) and now cant decide where to get a screen from or whether to go for manual or electric.

At the moment not sure I can justify spending twice as much on the screen just for pose value??

I would be interested to hear what you decide and where you get one from!!

10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    themmings,
    Like Insp. Gadget said, I can assure you that the manufacturers do listen to the public. That's why todays entry level projectors are on average 20+% brighter, have fans eight times quieter, are compatible with progressive scan and cost roughly half that of equivalent projectors from just two years ago.

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Can't wait to see what is available and at what price in another 2 years :D

Tim - have to agree with all the others. Just do it. You will not regret it. I also think the current crop of budget pjs are just amazing value for the enjoyment you get from them and don't forget that a twice the price pj does not necessarily mean you will get twice the image quality. The law of diminishing returns kicks in with a lot (if not all) of them.

The £2k price range seems to give the best bang for buck (or euro or pound or whatever) for sure. Oh yeah, and as for screen there's nothing quite like pressing one key and having all the kit turn on, the DVD tray open (saying feed me!) and, the best bit of all, the screen drop down from the ceiling. Awesome :smashin:

Enjoy.

12. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Sure, an electric screen looks good.

But thats not all.

The controlled winding of the screen should ensure it lasts longer and avoids creasing etc.

Think about the lifespan of a blind. After a couple of years of pulling it up and down it starts to slip, doesnt it?

Surely screens are the same, especially with a weight at the bottom?

regards,

Captain Benefit.