1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ALiS panels and Progressive?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by stanleyntl, Aug 11, 2005.

1. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Is there any point in trying to run a progressive signal into an ALiS panel, when it will simply interlace it again to display it? :rotfl:

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    It appears to make very little if any difference to the picture if the panel is fed a progressive or non progressive scan IMO - I've tested it with a Hitachi 5300 and an Arcam DV&9 DVD player.

John

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Plasmas are not scanned like CRT's - therefore there is no such thing as "progressive" or "interlaced". There are no "lines", just "pixels".

4. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not strictly true Nick,ive heard the pv500 has a line in the centre :D

5. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    But with your Hitachi, did you notice an improvement fed with a progressive signal compared to interlaced?
    I would have thought the alternate lighting business would have negated the advantages of having a full frame for display. :confused:

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    When I tested it on my 5300, I got my wife (who knows nothing about the tech involved) which picture she prefered and, with every test DVD, she prefered the non progressive scan picture.

John

7. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for that John, I did read your earlier post. I'm asking what Nick thinks too, because he has an Hitachi panel.
    Although ALiS is not quite like CRT interlaced, it still smacks of being line interlaced if only half the plasma lines are illuminated at any given time. Hence you would lose the alleged benefits of progressive with this type of panel, yes??? (As per your results) :rolleyes:

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have tried my 5300 with a progressive source, and I can't see any difference either. I don't see why the alternate lighting thing should make a difference - the screen is bright enough, and there is no hint of flicker. The fact that alternate rows of pixels are illuminated 50% of the time will help with screen longevity, according to the blurb that I've read on Alis panels.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A CRT also has pixels (differently colored phosphor dots) as much as a plasma has lines - a line in TV-speak is nothing but a horizontal row of pixels.

Plasmas may not be scanned as CRTs are since there is no electron beam but of course it would be possible to address lines interlaced; however most if not all manufacturers chose to de-interlace incoming (non-progressive) sources and display the pictures progressively.

And of course CRT can also be progressive, it has nothing to do with lines or the way the picture is written, instead they are mostly interlaced because the standard TV signals are broadcasted interlaced. (Think CRT monitors for PCs or newer TVs that are PS capable.)