1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alis or not to Alis

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ivon, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Ivon

Ivon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have been following the board and the posts quite religiously for the past couple of weeks or more. Am planning to buy a Plasma for the living room and reckoned this would be the best place to educate my self
    Here is the situation :

1) The room is 12 X11 feet ...rectangle and i plan to have the screen on the wall which is 12 feet long..so the viewing distance would be about 10-9 feet.

2) Equipment is - A DVD player Pionner DCS 303, Sky + and an X Box

I am concious about HD...and dont think would be able to afford another plasma in a year.

This should be relatively simple..but after following all the forums ...it is turning out to be quite the opposite !!

To begin with an Hitachi...( i am running for cover now ...) seemed to be a good bet (42PD5300). The PQ was excellent and in the manual it states that it is a Hi Definition screen and seemed to be a no brainer.

Well obviously ALis does not have too many fans on the board.

My question is :
    1) How is the Hitachi 5300 as a TV keeping in mind the sources that i am going to use
    2) The 5300 does have one HD input, however it is used by the box. Was surfing the various local Hitachi sites and somewhere it mentioned that you could buy a HD box which would then make the TV HD ready. Keeping in mind the ongoing debate on whether it is going to be 720 or 1080 for the UK....it allows you to keep your options open.
    3) The other alternative is the PW7 Panel...With regards to this option can i buy an external 'box' for the panel, if yes where and how much would it cost. The idea being to connect everything else (DVD, SKy to the Box)
    And then to make the PW7 HD enabled i would need a scaler which is another story.

So hear is where i am am. If i was looking for a replacement for the CRT for the above mentioned Set-up what would be the best way to go keeping in mind that i may not be able to spend a year down the line. My current budget is around £2.5 k...but could be flexed a bit.

Any help would be appreciated...and yes if there are any satisfied Hitachi users...would love to hear from them. :thumbsup:

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I am, now, a very satisifed Hitachi 5300 owner. I use Sky+, XBOX and Arcan DV79 DVD player with mine and, with SKY, on a channel with a good bitrate such as Sky 1, the picture quality is excellent. Even with lower bitrate channels, the Hitachi seems to be a bit more foregiving than some other screens. XBOX looks great via scart and the DVD player via component outputting progressive PAL looks stunning.

The Hitachi 5200 is definately OK with HiDef but doesn't come with a media box so is a little more complicated to set up than the 5300.

Having said all of that, if you've got 2.5K to spend you should certainly have a look at the PW7.

HTH

John

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm sure there are plenty of happy Hitachi owners, and with your sources it could be a good way to go. The DCS300 is the weakest link. You don't need a scaler to make a Panasonic HD compatible, just like every flat panel on the market bar Nigel's 22" samsung LCD, it will scale a video signal to fit. Just about any video signal. Hitachi too I'd always thought. Bearing in mind you already have a good TV tuner, why buy another one in your plasma? You already have sound too, so why buy speakers? Hitachi do a panel with no media box if you like alis, this will have the HD port empty, ready for the HD when it comes.

4. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a 5200 and am overall pleased with the product. I had a little trouble at the beginning with picture quality, but after a lot of tinkering I got it looking pretty good. As John says above, some channels are excellent and some are not so good.

I will be ordering a QED P21 scart lead to try to improve the SKy+ a little more, as my current lead is a basic gold plated scart (£15).

I did not worry too much about Hi-Def and did not do much homework on it. The Plasma was a bit of a impulse buy although I knew it had good reviews in mags etc. Hopefully the 5200 will be able to play it somehow??

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I dont feel HD resolution is an issue at the moment as there is lots of formats coming and going......... If you can afford a HD set buy it as they are petter PQ..... not because it might look better with a new media or broadcast service not available....yet!
    PS Hiachi Alis screens in fact any Alis screen is NOT HI DEFINITION they are effectively 1024x512................. not the 1366x768 high res plasma format or the 1920x1080 super Hi definition format..............

6. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a 42PD5200 and am very pleased. As everyone says, picture quality out of the box needs some tweaking, but now it's pretty sweet.

Highly compressed Sky channels can look a bit "digital", but PQ is excellent on the whole. DVD and Xbox (both via component) are stunning.

7. Ivon

Ivon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, John thanks for the response.

MAW...in terms of setting up with PW7...If i was to have to just the Panel on the wall...how do i get to connect the other devices ??

Can i have a setup where i connect a box to the PW7 and connect everything to the box.

You also mentioned the DCS300 as being the weakest link..point noted...is there an all in one system that you would recommend ??

Also with reference to HD panels...which of the panels out there are truly HD ?

:offtopic: Instead of getting Sky+ if i was to get one of the Panny Hard Disk/DVD writers.....would it offer me the same functionality??

Also

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ivon an AV reciever my top budget choice for a panny plasma is http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=8389&taxonomy_id=62-98 connect inputs to AV amp (has 3 scarts in and 1 out) for panny via JS-technology RGB>VGA box
    http://www.av-sales.co.uk/html/rgb_to_plasma_scrren_vga.html
    so you just run a VGA cable to plasma............ Check out this thread for more ideas.....http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292&highlight=beginner Chris bought my reconmended system and is very pleased with it...

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There are no true HD panels! Don't let it worry you though. We are all anorak weirdos here about our pictures. There are several ways to get all connections to one box. My preferred route for starters is a AV amp with video up conversion, a Yamaha 750 is where it starts. You need a separate DVD, another yamaha so the remote controls them both without hassle, and of course this monster will blow little twiddly bits of plastic out of your speakers when you turn it on..... The one box solution just won't cut the mustard video wise, and the step up sound wise will blow your mind. 2 matched boxes, no media box. This will work with any panel plasma, I am not tieing you down to a PW7 by any means, though I think it's an excellent choice. You would be up for the screen, and about another £1000 for amp, DVD and a suitable speaker package. Something from Tannoy perhaps? Anyway, connection wise, you connect the component video from the amp to the screen, then any video source, whether composite, s-video or component will appear on the screen. Simple innit?
    Given the current PW6 price, perhaps you should look there, for your use there is no practical diffference between the 6 and 7.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    are you forgetting the forth coming Sharp 45" LCD MAW?
    But all practical purposes its SD 852x480, Alis 1024x512 (equivalent) Higer definition 1366x768/1024x768/1280x768 etc etc etc

11. Ivon

Ivon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok...be slightly patient with me...am going to slow it down a little.

So apart from the cost of the Panel... how much more do you reckon the Yamaha Amp and DVD player and speakers would set me back by ?? and where is a good place (price and reliability) place to look for them ?

Also how do i connect..say the Xbox and SKY inputs to the AMP...How many inputs does the Amp have ?? If it is only one input..do i get some kind of Scart Switcher ??

And to connect the Amp to the panel...you mention Component..so that means the panel would need a Component card right ??

How much you reckon the Sharp 42 LCD is going to retail for ??

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The sharp? I conveniently forgot it owing to cost. For the time being I'd suggest you do the same. Back in your box Horny! If you were to approach the right retailer, he might do you a deal, a complete kit of parts so to speak. I'd guess you could get the lot for £2600, £2700 or so with a PW6, and a quite decent speaker pack, Jamo or Tannoy are my favs. in this kind of price bracket. Wall or stand mount?

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    45" sharp is listed onm some sites for around £6k :eek:
    I posted a link to a pioneer amp circa £200 speakers take your pick from £200:
    so Panel £1650, JS box £130, Cables £100 approx, Amp £200, Speaker £200 (from) Mount for screen £150 ish Wall or desk mount £2350 ish all in 42" with 5.1 surround sound Add £150 for a harmony H655 remote to run it all and away you go.....

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And if you can find the pioneer amp at the moment you'll be doing well. This setup will certainly connect all your RGB enabled devices, but no VCR's or S-Vhs players, even though they are scart. But both ways are viable, I do the pioneer thing quite a bit.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    should have mentioned that you will need to use all RGB devices with my suggestion but Bin your VCR and get a DVDR for £200.....
    solves most common issue

16. Ivon

Ivon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AHA... I knew i was forgetting something..the VCR !!

One option could be that i banish the machine from the living room...and keep it in the Bedroom with the CRT...

With regards to the DVD player...Is there a DVD recorder out there which also can make the cut as a player for the Plasma...(Progressive scan..multi region etc ??))

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    DMRE55 frpm panny Tosh RX32 is getting lots of good feed back for replay... most DVDR are component progreesive......... Infact you can bodge the system with a PW6 and DMRE55 and PIO amp usin the DMRE55 as an upconverter to component and use the component input into the VGA on PW6 (wont work on a PW7....)

18. Ivon

Ivon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kinda :confused: lost me over there...bodge the system?.. upscale ??

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    feed scart into amp andd the amp output into DMRE55 and then use component out of E55 to VGA inout on PW6

20. Ivon

Ivon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And for this i would need a VGA board on the panel or a component board ??

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    just the VGA built in to panel as standard on a PW6 or on a PW7 a component board, or an additonal VGA (built in VGA wont take component..) www.av-sales.co.uk Forum sponsor are doing charcaol PW6 for a the stupid price of £1650......delivered.......If only i had £1650.........:mad:

22. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Horny - u suggestin that 400 quid aint equal to the difference tween PW6 and 7?

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £400 quid gets you a decent HDD DVD recorder or AV amp.........

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm right with you there Horny, for the huge majority of users, the differences are just not useful.