1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ALIS or not ALIS?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by azz, Apr 8, 2005.

1. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I am about to buy a Plasma and i am thinking about the new Hitachi 42PD7200

what are the main differences between alis and non alis panels

eg-contrast, life, reliability, picture , suseptability to screen burn

The only panel that bosts 60000 hrs is the LG!

Thanks?

Azz :lease:

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Before anyone else starts pouring forth any nonsense, I'd suggest that you go to the Fujitsu web site and get the proper details on Alis, because Fujitsu invented them.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SO do panasonic for 6 & 7 series 8 series may be even longer........... :eek:
    still even 30,000 hours i a lot of telly, gaming DVD's and other stuff (as long as CRT so no need to panic)
    alis is very complex basically its 1024 x 512x2 originally desinged for Digital signange Airport displays etc as it was brighter and longer lasting than "normal" plasma at the time, it has since been well over taken, Pioneer, PAnny, LG and NEC make 1024x768 HD (true res) 42" and 43" panels and TV's (not seen the LG and NEC is IMO CRAP) other wise you have SD plasma Panny, LG, NEC (now owned by pioneer), Samsung (CRAP) making normal SD glass.... so ALIS glass fits in between them............... res wise (1080i signals do get displayed at 1024x1024 with clipping)
    http://www.fujitsu-general.co.uk/

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You'll find all the technical stuff here

5. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22

Are you saying poth pioneer and panny screens including the PW7 are quoted to last 60000 hrs?

Azz

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no panny screens 6 series onwards are quoted life of 60,000 hours to half brightness point

7. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a PDF document commisioned by Panasonic November 2004 that quotes half life to 60,000 hrs

http://www.fcw.com/vendorsolutions/panasonicplasma.pdf

it says

"Lifespan
    There has been much misinformation about the longevity of today’s plasma
    TVs. Like all other display devices, there are two parts to a television. The first
    is the internal electronics. Modern circuit designs are extremely reliable and
    all televisions, including plasma’s circuits, are designed to provide extremely
    long life. The second part is the section of the television that produces light.
    In plasma, it is the phosphors within the glass panel. Phosphors are used to
    produce an image in standard picture tube (CRT) televisions as well, and in
    three-CRT rear projectors.
    Television manufacturers base the projected life of all TVs on “half
    brightness,” meaning the time it takes for the display to create an image
    that’s only half as bright as when the TV was new. The three-CRT rear
    projector is generally rated at 15,000 hours until half-brightness. Direct-view
    CRTs are generally rated to 30,000 hours. Panasonic plasmas have a half
    brightness rating of 60,000 hours – four times the life of CRT rear projection.
    This equates to more than twenty-three years at seven hours a day viewing,
    around the average daily TV viewing time per U.S. household. With its
    inherent high brightness, a Panasonic plasma will likely retain its image
    quality for many years."

8. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I really do not know where Nick UK gets all of his patience from. Every time the subject of Alis panels comes up he posts the same link.
    At the same time Mr. Horny posts the same thing except now there is the added 1080i signals do get displayed. But of course they are not displayed properly they are clipped !
    For us mere mortals, not experts you must understand, clipped may be better than nothing.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If i have evr stated that 1080i is not displayed by an Alis plasma that is due too the video processing of the panel not the glass and while you may be happy as a mere "mortal" with a clipped image (other plasmas can properly rescale the image to fit) just ask anyone with a 15:9 WS LCD like the Sharp 22" and 30" panels what watching sport is like where the score card is "clipped".......................I didn't fall out of a tree this morning and think "i know I'll miseducate everyone i speak to today"...................(unlike some "proffessionals")

10. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Better to be thought a fool than to speak and confirm it.

11. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Ymegod,

ALIS panels can look good - I take it that you have one from the tone of your recent postings. I was very surprised at how really good a Sony ALIS panel looked after I had done an ISF calibration on it about 6 months ago.

Don't knock folk who are trying to learn more about ALIS. I count myself amongst them, the fact that "professionals" are trying to learn more about ALIS doesn't mean that "we" aren't prepared to accept the technology - if it works I will endorse it -to date (with the exception of the Sony, which was far more expensive than its competitors) I don't like ALIS. The new Fujitsus were the proof as far as I am concerned, the 50 looks stunning, it isn't ALIS, the little ones were and black was gray on them.

Forum regulars may be gunning for Panny and Pio but ask yourself why these same people have Panny or Pio themselves at home. Do you think Panny or Pio are paying them to have these screens?

12. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Piers,
    I am not knocking anybody who wants to learn about Alis. What I am saying is that every time the subject of Alis arises urban myth seems to abound. Nick UK then posts a link explaining all about Alis but this is usually ignored, by some, and the same old speculation is posted by people who clearly do not know that which they are talking about.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with Panasonic or Pioneer. It is just tiresome that any alternative is immediately derided. Each to their own.