1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ALis and video scaler...worth it?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mattie1972, Sep 7, 2004.

1. mattie1972

mattie1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone using a video scaler with an ALis, sending a 1024x1024 signal to the screen? Does it make a big difference? Has anyone tried an output of 1024x512? I was wondering if this could ‘defeat’ the interlacing and create a progressive picture? I have read contrasting info about ALis (both of these are taken from Fujitsu info):

“This interlaced system provides optimal display performance for a variety of applications, providing not only high-resolution interlaced display but also progressive display at conventional resolution levels

“Rather than relying on two dedicated bus electrodes per visible line, a single electrode is used for the visible line above and below. In this configuration, the PDP cannot be driven in a progressive mode but instead has to use the interlaced mode well-known for broadcast TV systems.”

I’m guessing that no matter what the resolution, ALis cannot display a progressive signal? Which goes back to whether a 1024x1024 scaler worth it?

I have a Philips ALis (37PF9965). The product info says the VGA input accepts all sorts of VESA inputs, but what about 1024x1024? (this is the same product info that says it’s got progressive scan!). Anybody know if the Philips will accept a non VESA signal via the VGA input?

2. oferlaor

oferlaor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ALIS displays can work with 1024x512 progressive signals.

Whether it's worth it or not, I can't say.

3. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Crystalio's default setting for alis panels is 1024x512 progressive. They look very good at this setting - a couple of our customers have had excellent results.
    Obviously 512 is pretty low res (even lower than a PAL source) but they looked surprisingly good by all accounts.

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I thought Crystalio has 1024x1024 mode specifically for Fugitsu alis panels? The interesting thing here is that if alis is 1024 interlaced, and both odd and even fields of the image being displayed were the same, then you would have a 1024x512 progressive image which would avoid any interlacing motion artifacts.

5. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whenever we've selected this option, it shows 1024x512 on the front panel.