• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Aligning dish for BBC and ITV

greensat

Standard Member
Hi, new to forum, hoping for some inspiration. I have installed a ROSS 65cm dish which came with an HD receiver (kit on special at B&Q for £50).

It's all plugged in. I have Astra/Euro1 satelite with 60% signal showing but this is only giving me German, French, Dutch programmes. Can't get BBC, ITV etc. The elevation angle is set using the gradations on the bracket to 25 degrees. I don't have a compass for Azimuth so have just played until we had a signal. Don't understand the Polarization measurement?

I have also got a HUMAX 320 HDR ready to use but looks lke I need a loop as thedish only has one cable coming off it?

Am considering admitting defeat and getting a man who can in to tune it in. Would you recommend a satelite finder gadget from the likes of Maplin?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
It's pointing at East 19, you need to rotate it nine degrees further East to get it on east 28 where BBC HD is.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam

logiciel

Welcome to AVF, and yes, you're on the wrong satellite for UK channels, but I don't know what Dutch channels you're getting.:confused:
If you want to use the second receiver also for the same UK channels, a loopthrough from the first one would not be very useful and it would be better to get a second connection from the dish, and that would probably require the LNB - the device that collects the signal - to be replaced with a different type.

greensat

Standard Member
Thanks all. Will get hold of a compass and when I have some daylight, try to get it onto 28E.

Re the loop - I have seen the upgrade LNB in Argos with 2 take-offs. Do I need to get one of these to record 1 channel and watch another or will the loop I need to buy enable this?

logiciel

For your present receiver you need one connection to the LNB. If you want to watch one channel and record another on the second receiver you will need a further two. I'm surprised that Argos sell LNBs but there are only two standard types, with either one or four connections, and presumably the one you've seen is the second type which would be fine if you can fix it. Then you won't need any loopthrough, which wouldn't be much use anyway.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
There are three standard types of lnbs for Sky minidishes - single, quad (4 output) and octo (8 output) - and four standard types for non Sky dishes - single, twin (2 output), quad and octo.

logiciel

That has only two connections.
First check whether the present LNB actually has only one connection, then work out how many connections you really need - I thought from your previous posts that would be at least three.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom