Alienware m17 R4 gaming laptop

chillo

Hi all,

just ordered a fairly max spec laptop:
Alienware m17 R4
10th Generation Intel Core i9-10980HK (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5.3GHz Max Turbo
17.3" UHD (3840 x 2160) 60Hz 25ms 500-nits
32GB DDR4 2933MHz
4TB (2x 2TB PCIe M.2 SSD) RAID0 [Boot] + 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD [Storage]
NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 3080 16GB GDDR6
and an Alienware AW3420DW 34" curved screen.

This is my new wfh work laptop but with the spec I’m looking at maybe using it to test the water with some pc gaming! (I’m an Xbox gamer and mainly play Warzone!)

so looking for any set up tips you experienced pc gamers can give me! I’m a total novice in things like config of resolutions, refresh and fov settings etc. Anything else?
Appreciate this machine is a laptop so won’t have quite the power of an equivalent desktop setup but I’m hoping to be able to get a good feel for the world of pc gaming and how it this compares to gaming on an Xbox Series one x!
Interesting to see how a laptop based rig that cost more than 13x an Xbox 1x compares!

caz2005

I quite like Alienware laptops. Of all the "gaming" laptops I've had the Alienware as the best one.

Good job you got the external monitor. I imagine it's an ultrawide 1440p? That'll be much better for gaming than a 60hz panel. I think with that spec you'll have a great gaming experience.

I wouldn't worry too much about refresh rates. Your monitor should be set at the highest allowed automatically but never the less you can check and if not just set it to max it allows (the external monitor that is). Your laptop panel will be at and stay at 60hz.

Personally, with games I just set everything up at max lol and with that cpu and gpu combo you'll definitely be able to. Not sure you'll get more than 40-50fps at 4k on the laptop panel but you'll only be gaming on that when you're away from the external monitor :)

There's lots of pros to PC gaming compared to consoles BUT (imo) there are lots of trade-offs too. I have never experienced the hassle I often have getting online games going with friends. Not everyone getting connected, patched, not everyone hearing each other, the list of goes on in my experience.

However, you can get games much cheaper (waaaaay cheaper) than compared to consoles, and (at least in terms of single-player games) it can feel nicer playing on PC with higher refresh rats and sharper visuals. I like gaming on everything though and could never walk away from Console exclusives. Funnily, it's the same for PC. The games I play the most are exclusive to PC (Company of Heores 2)

chillo

Hi,
yeah the monitor is 21:9 WXHQ 3440x1440, 2ms response and 120hz refresh so hoping it should do the job. Would have like a higher refresh and hdr but got a good deal on this screen. Not sure of benefits on hdr with a pc set up though?
I did look at the 38” screen but think anything much above 34” might be too big working and gaming close up. Happy to be proved wrong.
I quite like the Alienware branded stuff, I’ve bought the lot! (Laptop, screen, keyboard, mouse, bag!) :D
Interesting your opinion on the pc game v console gaming ease off using etc, thanks! Appreciate console tech always lags behind pc tech etc but console hardware pretty well optimised to do one thing against better pc tech that is designed to do lots more stuff.
I will be provide feedback as to how I get on with it and honest view on the comparison particularly with Warzone.
Screen and peripherals being delivered next week, no date on laptop delivery yet but hopefully just another week or so after that.

Last edited:

caz2005

Hi,
yeah the monitor is 21:9 WXHQ 3440x1440, 2ms response and 120hz refresh so hoping it should do the job. Would have like a higher refresh and hdr but got a good deal on this screen. Not sure of benefits on hdr with a pc set up though?
I did look at the 38” screen but think anything much above 34” might be too big working and gaming close up. Happy to be proved wrong.
I quite like the Alienware branded stuff, I’ve bought the lot! (Laptop, screen, keyboard, mouse, bag!) :D
Interesting your opinion on the pc game v console gaming ease off using etc, thanks! Appreciate console tech always lags behind pc tech etc but console hardware pretty well optimised to do one thing against better pc tech that is designed to do lots more stuff.
I will be provide feedback as to how I get on with it and honest view on the comparison particularly with Warzone.
Screen and peripherals being delivered next week, no date on laptop delivery yet but hopefully just another week or so after that.
I don't know how likely you are to get above 120fps so you probably never would have seen a benefit to a higher refresh rate than 120hz.

Depends on how far away from the monitor you are I guess but 38" would be huge!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom