Alienware Aurora R3 graphics card query

Sansol48

Novice Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I can get some expertise regarding upgrading my graphics card please? Apologies if this thread has already been discussed but I couldn't find anything related.

I currently have the Alienware Aurora R3 which is about 8 years old (I think) with a Nvidia geforce GTX 260 1.75gb graphics card but I want to upgrade my monitor to a 34" wide screen monitor but I know that this current graphics card won't be able to handle this resolution. My question is what is the latest graphics card I can upgrade to, which is compatible with my motherboard? or any newer recommended cards I can use, which will support this type of monitor.

Dell Service Tag – <Service Tag removed>

Motherboard details -
Manufacturer Product SerialNumber Version
Alienware 0H869M ..CN6970298R1358. A00

Pc details -
Windows 10 pro
Intel core i7 processor 920 @ 2.67ghz 2668mhz 4 cores
Bios A11
Total physical memory 12gb

Max resolution 1920x1080 with current screen AW2310

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod mode - Not sure what the link to the service tag is for TBH? You seem to have deleted the service tag number but the link takes you to that page with all details and all links from that page work. You have provided the make and mode details so that should be enough? I have deleted the link for now but if you want it there feel free to add it back. End Mod mode :)

Anyway whilst Alienware was and is a top notch brand I would be looking at a new PC after this amount of time. Cost over the lifetime I would be happy with I think. That is still quite sellable to people who want what is still a reasonably powerful non-gaming machine.

what are you aiming to use it for on that monitor as this will really make a difference.

If your gaming you need to consider the motherboard, the PSU - its watts and its connections which the graphic card will need, the space in the case for said card as they have got a lot bigger recently.

IF you just want to browse the web and do work then there are plenty of low end cards that likely would work in your PC unless its really small inside, even then should be fine.

your motherboard looks like it has a PCI-Express 2.0, PCI-e x16 which is a bit slow being 2.0 but again thats only really a issue for gaming, any card will fit that. PCI 3.0 cards will work but slower.

Mod mode - Not sure what the link to the service tag is for TBH? You seem to have deleted the service tag number but the link takes you to that page with all details and all links from that page work. You have provided the make and mode details so that should be enough? I have deleted the link for now but if you want it there feel free to add it back. End Mod mode :)

Anyway whilst Alienware was and is a top notch brand I would be looking at a new PC after this amount of time. Cost over the lifetime I would be happy with I think. That is still quite sellable to people who want what is still a reasonably powerful non-gaming machine.

Thank you for getting back to me.

I didn't realise the service tag was taken out, I think it was removed by the forum when I posted it but in hindsight I should have left it out so thanks for removing the link.

To be honest I only use it for work purposes now and can't really afford to by a new pc at the moment so I thought getting a second hand graphics card and new monitor might be cheaper than getting a new PC and monitor.

Any PC recommendations are welcome though?

what are you aiming to use it for on that monitor as this will really make a difference.

If your gaming you need to consider the motherboard, the PSU - its watts and its connections which the graphic card will need, the space in the case for said card as they have got a lot bigger recently.

IF you just want to browse the web and do work then there are plenty of low end cards that likely would work in your PC unless its really small inside, even then should be fine.

your motherboard looks like it has a PCI-Express 2.0, PCI-e x16 which is a bit slow being 2.0 but again thats only really a issue for gaming, any card will fit that. PCI 3.0 cards will work but slower.

Thanks for your reply

I use the PC mostly for work now and just wanted a bigger screen for spreadsheets etc. The PC runs pretty well and haven't had any issues so don't fancy swapping it out just yet due to financial reasons.

Do you recommend and particular graphics cards? I'm not that tech savvy so not exactly sure whats good to go for? I saw a gtx 980 ti but wasn't sure if it would fit or if it was compatible or if there was anything newer?

Which resolution is the monitor you're considering? Ultrawide only describes the shape and 34" models come in resolutions ranging from 2560x1080, which your current card will handle, to at least 51280x2880.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom