• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Alienware 17 R3 2016 - Bulge on back panel

Hawklan

Distinguished Member
Hi

My daughter's Alienware 17 R3 laptop has developed a slight bulge and what looks like heat damage on the back of her laptop. It's a few months over a year old and is out of warranty

I suspect the battery is failing and has swollen, if so would it cause the heat damage?

She needs this laptop for her university studies, so we need to get this sorted out ASAP
Can you guys recommend a repair place in Essex / Suffolk?

Many thanks

Ron

Attachments

• 20170529_211525.jpg
    20170529_211525.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
  • 20170529_211517.jpg
    20170529_211517.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 114
  • 20170529_211449.jpg
    20170529_211449.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 109

next010

Distinguished Member
This appears to be the cause of the issue.

They outline various solutions in the thread, the most simple one is set the bios battery mode to standard instead of express, might help updating the bios too in case there is some sort of power management fix they included in it.

You might find more info on the Dell forums and I'd contact Alienware anyway or post in their part of the Dell forums.

Hawklan

Distinguished Member
Oh man, that looks nasty

I was hoping for a simple battery swap out. I'll check the bios battery mode setting. But I think I'd better put it in for repair at Dell

Many thanks

Ron

Hawklan

Distinguished Member
To give an update

Though the laptop is 3 months out of warranty Dell are going to fix it free of charge. I had a choice of sending it off or spending £30 to have a technician come around, which I opted for.

So I impressed with their customer service, though it's a known issue they still could have waved the out of warranty card under my nose and charged me

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom