Quantcast

Alienware’s Concept UFO is a modular handheld gaming PC (much more than a Nintendo Switch clone)

JabbaNut

Alienware’s Concept UFO is a modular handheld gaming PC (much more than a Nintendo Switch clone)

" I wouldn’t blame you if you took one look at Dell’s Alienware Concept UFO handheld gaming PC and its detachable controllers and decided it was nothing but a Nintendo Switch clone. But this little device is much more than that — because it’s got the guts of a full-fledged Windows computer.

Sure, you could use it to play games on the go — and that’s what it’s designed for. And you could plug it into a TV and use the wireless controllers for gaming at home. It’s designed or that too. "

aoaaron

Basically, and I know this is asking a lot, but I want Alienware or Valve to release a gaming tablet or portable device which can 720p or 1080p RDR2 at 30 or 60fps.

Thats the base-line I'm going on. I don't mind the device being a little thicker if it means they can pull it off.

The switch-like controllers are really really nice but they're not something thats going to make or break the usability of a console like this.

I'd personally be much happier with ipad pro-sized device but double the thickness which does windows and gaming. Sadly I think the only company which custom-makes GPUs like that are Apple and they won't do it.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
Is it just me that thinks take this and run with Ryzen and the integrated graphics for on the go gaming at lower setting, resolution and frame rate. But then make the dock a thunderbolt egpu. The CPU and ram from the main system boosted by a full gpu when docked could ramp up the performance significantly to produce a great machine for use at home that can still be used on the go.

It's what I kind of wish Nintendo will do with the switch at some point, a better cpu would be great but offloading the heavy graphical lifting when plugged in could actually deliver a custom experience where those after 4K can pick up a heftier dock than those wanting 1080p

fowlersrs

By the time they release this Nintendo will have released something better revision wise for the switch.