1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aliens R1

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by sonny, Mar 25, 2001.

1. sonny

sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Does anybody else think the picture quality on this disc is absolutely appalling? I cannot believe as some reviews have said, that J.C. shot it that way deliberately.

------------------

2. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sonny,

I know what you mean, I have R2 Version and the picture is grainy.

I was disappointed with the Boxset, I was expecting something very special, but instead got something that was run of the mill for a Sp.ED. Dunno maybe it's just me?

Cheers
    Ace

3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Every time I've seen a print of this film the picture has allways looked ropey, from TV to LD. But has anyone noticed that when a scene from the Aliens S.E. comes on the picture quality suddenly goes up?

J.C also uses lower quality 35mm film and not Panavisions 70mm for most of his movies. This gives a ratio of 1:85 and not 2:35 which he then adds artificial bars top and bottom to make it look like the latter. Take the original (16:9)release of the Abyss on VHS you can see a reflective panel which they are using as a guide for the pesuedopod sequence which later on in the (2:35) S.E edition is masked by the black bars.

This is why most of J.C's movies are of lower quality than most, take Terminator II as example, on DVD in THX form, which should make for a stunning picture I have found it to be of only average quality.

J.C's priority has all ways been one of quantity and not quality I'm afraid.

Regards Kev.

------------------
    Is he the one?

4. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree all jc's early films suffered from this.