1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alien Vs. Predator!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Dean, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Anyone seen this yet, I'm gonna try and catch a showing today.. looks pretty good but have to wait and see! God haven't been to the cinema since Kill Bill 2

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    I saw it yesterday and like with other Anderson films, dont expect much if any character development which means when the characters are killed you couldnt really care less but it does deliever on the one thing I wanted to see and that is Alien on Predator fighting which is really well done.
    If you go in expecting a film like Aliens you will leave really dissapointed, just go in expecting to see a film with some great Aliens on Predators fighting and you will leave happy but that is about it.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I heard in a previous thread that the cinema version has quite a lot cut out.
    The DVD version should have a lot more in it so keep your money and get the DVD if you can! The R1 DVD should be out soon.

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    There was talk of a Directors Cuts of AvP straight after the film was released back in August and that Fox enforced the PG-13 rating only a few weeks before it was due to be released so loads had to be cut and that the original cut was rated R with loads of violence and gore but since then it seems most of that talk was aload of rubbish and the film was always shot to be a PG-13 movie so the chances of a Directors Cut being much better are slim but I am sure the DVD release will have a nice selection of deleted scenes and hopefully the alternate opening sequence which was set in 1904, the music for that scene made it onto the soundtrack but was cut from the film.

Thought I would point out though, CDWow has the 2 Disc Region 3 Edition of Alien vs Predator down for the 23rd November which is only a month away.

5. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    yeh cheers... i saw it this afternoon and agree with u, not a classic but a fun action movie with great atmosphere.. great special effects and top sound and would still definitely get the DVD especially if there is a directors cut. Mile's better than Alien 3 or Resurrection (though that's not saying much cos those were awful). The plot though somewhat interesting (thought i did like the idea of the pyramid as there Predator's hunting ground) is slightly weak but maybe i need to see it a second time round. I would have liked to see more predator-alien battles but what they showed was pretty good and realistic looking! I'd rate the film 6/10 overall. R3 on 23rd November?! may have to order a copy..

6. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw it yesterday and enjoyed it.
    Some death scenes could have had more gore to them ,but in all a great no-brainer of a film.
    The main fight between the two was really good and was well done.
    A couple of points to ask.
    1. If we can`nt see the predators with their invisible screen,how can the aliens see them.
    2.How do the aliens see .Is it like the predator by heat or something else.
    3.I thought the first two predators got kill off to easy.
    4. In all the years that they have been hunting they did`nt know that they had acid for blood.
    In all not a bad shot at it and it`s good to see the predators back in action ,it had been too long since the 1990 sequel in which was not that great.
    THE GORE is as much as the sequel and if you remember how much blood was shown in aliens.So people stop going on about it.
    I hope that the money it made in the u.s that a follow up is done.
    Maybe in the future were the predators are facing the end due to the hybrid alien and need the help of us to save their race.
    p.S how does the film stand along the books series as in story lines.

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    1. Aliens dont actually see so the Predators invisibilty wouldnt be much help to them
    2. Not sure about this one but it has been discussed quite afew times on fan sites and its either through smell or they just sense
    3. I agree that they got killed off to easily but then this was their first hunt against Aliens and remember the humans screwed it up for them by setting everything off before they were ready
    4. They knew they had acid blood which is why they were wearing quite alot of armor compared to how much the Predators in the earlier films were, remember they were also ment to have had their shoulder cannons so they could blast them apart from a distance, dont think they were planning on alot of hand to hand combat

8. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yeah interesting points which i'll try and cover ! :D

1. The predators didnt use their cloak in the fight scenes with the aliens, mainy jst to infiltrate the pyramids and move without being detected. I doubt the aliens could detect a Predator while cloaked and hiding.

2. Good question though i don't think Aliens have eyes.. may be smell sound or sonar type (like pitch black)

3. Yeah me too but they were caught off guard and remember the Predator's were fighting 'hand-to-hand' with the Aliens to test their true hunting abilities.. they could have come off the space ships with those shoulder laser things (would have been to easy with that!) but they chose not too. Brave stuff!

4. Probably, they were hunting aliens from the beginning of mankind!

9. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is that there was a scene where the predator looked at his blade and it had been melted by the acid. The scene made thing that the predator had just found out about the blood.
    Does anyone know when the r1 dvd will be out .
    The question about the aliens sight is on the pc game of the same name and that they have a very narrow vision.

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    I dont know if it is confirmed but some websites have the Region 1 release down as the 25th January but the Region 3 release is only a month away on the 23rd November and because its a Fox release I wouldnt be suprised if both releases are identical in terms of picture quality and extras.

As for the aliens vision, I wouldnt say the game gets it right as they include a normal vision mode for the Predator and it has been said in the films that the Predator can only see in infra-red so the game producers probaley just made it up, probaley one of those things that they didnt think about at the time when making the films but it certainly has been talked about on fan sites for years.

11. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I read an inteview with Sigourney Weaver, and she explained that the idea was that the Aliens were meant to be like Sharks, in that they use sonar and radio signals to "see". Apparently the Aliens have other abilities as well, but that, she said, would be revealed another day..........

12. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another anderson balls up movie! if there was any director who can balls up a good movie franchise he,s the man! the predators looked like american football stars, and the scene of the pred/ human sliding down the tunnel was cringeworthy alone. i wasn,t expecting much from this movie ...and it pains me to say that the alien and predator characters should be put to sleep...before we end up seeing ALIENS AND PREDATORS ON ICE ala toy story on ice

13. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me it was an ok movie, not great.

I agree with Krusty in that the Predators looked like American football stars. They were just too bulky. Where as in the other Predator films they were leaner killing machines.

First two Predators getting killed to quickly. Nah, these are young Predators earning their stripes IIRC. So some of them are bound to not make the grade.

14. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say that i thought they were to big and not tall and lean.but maybe their are some predators that are like us not all the same in build.
    Maybe they had too much to eat and where sent down to lose some weight with all that running and fighting.

15. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    as a huge fan of the aliens and predator films i was really disapointed with this. Not enough tension being built up.
    Anyone got any info on the R1 or 3 DVD. Please let there be more violence! :devil:

mark

ps dont predators usually only hunt when its really hot?

16. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Well I've just been to see this at the pictures and I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I am a huge fan of both movie franchises and I was hoping or maybe even praying for them to make a good job of this but I'm affraid it sucks. I think for someone who isn't familiar with the previous movies (where have you been?) it might be an okay action flick but for a fan it's a crying shame. If this had been done properly it could have been an absolute classic and as a matter of fact I thought it was starting okay. SPOILER
    The initial build up and travel to the site was getting the tension going especially the old whaling station then all of a sudden vitually everbody gets killed off. Holy ****, take your time, doing it slowly builds the tension even more or did they not teach that to the director :lesson: (an imposter me thinks).
    Yours disapointedly,
    Oddbodd :suicide:

P.S. as for the ending :boring:

[SPOILER added by Garrett]

17. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I would hate it but I really enjoyed the film.

I tried to leave my brain at home and disassociate it from the previous Alien films. I actually felt this was far more of a continuation of the Predator franchise than the Alien one.

spoiler ...

The Humans were not meant to crack the code, the canons were meant for the Predators. Not sure why they couldn't have gone in with them. Perhaps it was part of the test that they would have to reach the guns.

What didn't make sense was the speed of the ingestion period. This has always being a ropey issue in the Alien franchise mind you.

I really disliked the way the Pryamid moved and the explanation of the plot line was wafer thin but ok it sort of made sense.

As for the predator/Alien hybrid; there was one. One of the aliens clearly had predator markings; indicating it came from one one the first two predators. However, it looked like they were both killed to me. :confused:

The final conflict was a lazy rip off of Aliens

Overall, it was good fun.

18. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Umm I don't usually get this pedantic, but do you think you could use spoiler tags in your posts?

I know this is not a major brainer movie but I didn't really want to know everyone dies in the first part of the film etc. :(

19. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    :oops: Sorry about that everyone :blush: In my defense I was in a state of shock.

20. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,376
    Hi,

Yes in the right hands, this good off been 2 or 3 times better.spoiler
    Human killings were too quick without tension, and we never really find out who is the baddest monster out there.

Even with the trio of Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett (both involved with previous alien films) and Anderson doing the screenplay, they did not quite pull it off.

Maybe O'Bannon should off wrote the story.

Maybe it will be better on dvd. I watched T3 the other day, man thats a mean movie, the action is top notch, crane sequence best i seen in any movie., better second time round!.

rai

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,462
    I think that rates a spoiler as well raigraphixs. :lesson:

22. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,376
    HI,

OK, but it does not tell you anything about the plot, .....'white out' next time.

cheers

rai

23. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,429
    Probably been mentioned already but...
    both Ridley Scott and Sigourney Weaver are rumoured to be "interested" in doing Alien 5.

24. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    it was awful i walked off halfway through (then again so did someone in the naughty copy i was watching!)

its like most films these days i thought it was the same as irobot, no real sustinence behind the special effects

utter dross, my flatmate was distraught as a fan of both!

25. saibot

saibot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi All, Have a SPOILER question about the ending... you have being warned... :)

at the end of the movie when we see back on the predator ship the alien coming out , do you reckon we are then to believe that this was the ship that had landed on LV-426, which the nostromo and later the colonists investigated ???

ta,
    d...

26. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    No as the ship they found on LV426 in Alien was from a different species that was transporting the Alien Eggs in statis, if anything they did that ending to set up a possible sequel.

27. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting idea, but I doubt it.

spoiler...

For that to be true, the Alien who burst though the chest at the end of the film would have to be a queen and kill all the Predators on board.

The idea of using that as a sequel is a nonsense for the same reasons

28. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    SPOILER

The Alien that burst through the Predator at the end of the film was an Alien/Predator hyprid, something which has never been seen before and if the PC Games or Comics are anything to go by, a Predalien (as they call it) is far more deadly than a standard Alien drone but I agree it very unlikely one Predalien could kill all the Predators on board, a few maybe but it wouldnt last long as it would be hunted down and killed but the new type of Alien could be used in a possible sequal and they just used the scene at the end to introduce the new type to us.

29. saibot

saibot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    more spoiler comments:

I have to agree that the first 2 predators did die rather quickly, though I wonder the way the second one was killed was it a refernce to the way "mac" was killed in Predator...?!?

overall though nothing brilliant to write home about, and certainly no sequels... but worth a watch...

30. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I quite enjoyed it, it could have been A LOT worse in Mr Andersons hands (remember Soldier!) and much better than Alien ressurection. I also thought the premis of the temple and ancient aztec sacrifices was quite a good idea. From what people had been saying I was expecting there to be zero introduction and build up but loads of sensless action. But I thought it was a bit the other way around. The build up was quite good and if anything I thought the end was hurried. The other thing that anoyed me a little was how quickly the predators were wiped out by what is a relatively mindless creature. I thought they would have kicked ass a bit more but been overwhelmed by sheer numbers of aliens. My opinion was that one on one the predator should come out on top nine times out of ten. Anyway overall I wasnt half as disapointed as I could have been and will be buying this one for my collection. :D