1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

alien vs predator uncut dvd

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by oxygenuk, Dec 27, 2004.

1. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    does anyone have any info on this? when/if it is being released? i heard its going to be much better than just the standard thats coming out jan 11th on region3, but im wondering should i wait for the uncut version as i would preffer to see all them outtakes they did integregated into the film

ty :lesson:

2. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    AFAIK, this is pure rumour - there will be no longer, uncut version. I believe there will be an alternative opening that may be available via seamless branching on the soon to be released DVD, but that's about it.

They didn't film any different, more violent/gory scenes as I believe the filmmakers where under contract to deliver a PG-13 movie! At least, that's what I've read.

These rumours of longer, gorier director's cuts of Anderson's films always seem to crop up but nothing ever comes of them.

3. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The director is one of the worst around and has promised uncut versions of 'Event Horizon' & Resident Evil, but as they are both so bad anyway whats the point? No ammount of tweaking will take away the fact that the films this guy directs have poor scripts, poor directing, & poor plots.

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

This DVD might be being advertised as the "Extreme Edition", I can't see it being any longer than the regular cinema version. I get the feeling that because of the relative poor performance at the box office, they're desperately trying to make their money back, by giving a half-decent standard DVD release a super, kick-ass name, in order to get more people to buy it.

Pooch

5. John Woo Style

John Woo Style
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Harj - not strictly true, as the commentary for the extended (and underrated anyway) Event Horizon was recorded almost two years ago now, with Paramount still keeping schtum over the sudden pulling of its October 11 2004 release... also Anderson showed a 5 minute reel he had cut together himself of Resident Evil at Frightfest 2002 ahead of the film's release which as far as I saw had more gore in that 5 minutes than the entire released film!

The rumours about the extended AvP came from other members of cast and crew and their reference to additional scenes, and don't necessarily contradict that it was intended from the start to be a PG-13 - in the era of DVD (especially the US) it's not even unusual anymore to have a PG-13 product to get the sales in at the box office, then an unrated directors cut as well as the regular DVD to generate extra sales for the purists/collectors. As well as the obvious Lord of the Rings stuff you have Hellboy and King Arthur for example, and to be UK-specific look at the cinema/DVD deal with Welcome To The Jungle (aka The Rundown). And look at the sales of all the various versions of the Alien series on DVD! Maybe if it weren't Fox it'd be slightly more surprising...

BTW, I don't think an opening weekend of $38 million and a total of over $80 million in the US alone is that poor for a sci-fi horror flick... Maybe not the best ever, but poor? *shrug*

6. Andrew Mogford

Andrew Mogford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    So much apathy against this director........only seen one of his films, and that was superb.

But for the record I had also heard that AvP was always going to be a PG-13 and that there would be a directors cut, but it wouldn't be more violent.

7. John Woo Style

John Woo Style
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, should have added that most what I'd heard of the extra footage from AvP is that like Hellboy it fills in missing details, or maybe more accurately its like Le Pacte Des Loups/Brotherhood of the Wolf insofar as its an entire subplot...

Some of what I've read/seen/heard is that it concerns *SPOILER ALERT! HIGHLIGHT TO READ!*
    the genetic engineering of Aliens that amongst other things, explains how they shortened the Alien growth cycle to make better sport than sitting around waiting for hours and hours from inception to chestburster
    *END SPOILER*

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I liked Event Horizon and Resident Evil so i think this director gets a raw deal the region 1 release of Alien vs Predator will have an additional 1 minutes worth of footage which is right at the start of the movie and it will also have the original cinema version via seamless branching ( its a pity they didnt go for a hard R rated certificate but i'll still probably buy it )

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I seem to remember seeing an interview with the director ,with him saying that his hands were tyied when making the film and that it was not what he actually wanted to make ect ect. I personally think that it was what he wanted to make, and that he only started to moan and go on about not being able to do what he wanted when the fans began to :censored: him of and rubbish the film that actually came out :laugh:

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,911
    There have been alot of interviews posted on the net which said Anderson had told them that a Directors Cut would be coming and that alot of the violence/gore was cut but there have been very few actually video interviews that you can watch and in the only video interview I have seen he talked about the R rated/Directors Cut and said that there was no such thing and that it was all internet gossip and that the film released in the cinema was what he had intended all along.

Also, the DVD release will have the ability to insert the original 1904 opening scene (which is about 3 mins long) via seam-less branching back into the film but that will be the only extra footage on the DVD.

I feel sorry for the fans in R1 though as they are only getting a 1 Disc release of the film which will have 3 Deleted Scenes and a Making Of feature where as we get a 2 Disc Special Edition with over 2 hours of Documentaries and 11 Deleted Scenes.

11. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    im looking forward to this - im a fan of Res Evil and Event Horizon

think the R3 will be as good as it gets though

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,911
    Like with The Day After Tomorrow and I, Robot it looks like the Region 3 release will have everything that the 2 Disc Region 2 release will have but released alot earlier.

13. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    just ordered my r3 copy for 10.99, also has a dts track, in for a good treat in about 2 weeks :p

14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,911
    It might not be that long as CDWow seems to ship Region 3 releases about 2 weeks before release day (they did for The Day After Tomorrow and I Robot) so it could start shipping any day now.

15. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    excellent, hopefully ill receive a shortly after new years day pressent then :p

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    There are some very slightly gorier versions of certain minor shots during the AP fight scenes ie slime , no human gore if you like.

The film was never shot as anything other than a PG-13 . There is no R-rated version. (I didn't work on it , but it was being worked on by some colleagues of mine of the same company)

Event Horizon had a slightly gorier version , namely longer shots of the original EH crew mutilating themselves (pulling their guts out their mouths etc) which are not really any more interesting then the shorter flash cuts on the theatrical version.

Kathleen Quinlan had a more violent impact (lots of blood splash and some shots showed her injuries in greater detail ... broken bones sticking out etc)
    Sam Neil's character didn't come back after being sucked out the window and the end fight was betwenn fishbourne and the burning man character ( neil came back at the very end in the rescue scene as in the theatrical cut )

Thats about it the earlier cut also had some filler but none of it was very interesting to be honest. (I did work on EH by the way) There was one scene where they find a human tooth (with jaw fragment) floating and I think a torn off arm. These were not very important scenes and bit the dust very early on (were never completed I think)

I think Paul Anderson does an ok job with a limited budget and gets the production completed on time with a minimum of fuss which is more than you can say for a lot of film directors.

17. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes I have some info about this film... it is a complete pile of stinking horse ****! :laugh:

I wasn't expecting much when I went to see it at the cinema, but even so I was disappointed... I can't really see how a few extra scenes, or even a total re-edit could redeem it. It really was that bad.
    I'll probably still buy it on DVD though! :rolleyes: :zonked: :D

18. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
  19. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    But this is his downfall, and ours. Ridley scott had a limited budget when he made Alien but when the studio saw what he was creating the budget rocketed, so too with StarWars. PA should be shouting for more money so he can create a higher calibre movie, not sit back and say well **** in is **** out. Id rather pay £15.99 for 1 hour of decent footage than for two hours of *****.

The fact is films are now targeted at kids because they are less critical than the adults and will pay for any old tosh.

20. Andrew Mogford

Andrew Mogford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Oh yes please!

Great link, Rambo!

21. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111

Yeah but not every film director is a Scott or Lucas. The majority of films are made by directors you never know the name of. Many directors are far from in control of the films they direct . In an action film its often the 2nd unit director who is responsible for the meat of the film.

Any named director is only representative of the thin edge of the wedge.

22. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    more's the pity

I count that as a blessing :clap:

23. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,911
    Just checked the CDWow website and according to it, my copy has been Dispatched.

24. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    same here indiana :cool:

how long do the orders usually take to get to your door, < first time at shoppin on cdwow :D

25. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    only a week to wait then

let us know what its like when you get it,

must ...resist .....buying ....dvd's

26. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,911
    The last DVD I got from CDWow was posted Monday and arrived Thursday so it should be here Monday morning.

27. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    my eyes anxiously await the arrival of avp :devil:

only avp i saw was a copy when it first came out, so never watched it with todays pictutre and sound qualitys :clown:

28. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    cd-wow@ £10.50
    movietyme@ 16.99
    any difference apart from the region???

29. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

nope, not sure if the r1 has dts though i think it does and is released about 2 weeks after.

go for the r3 release. :)

30. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,911
    Couldnt see one on CDWow for £10.50 but I am assuming you mean the £11.99 Region 3 release and if so it is quite different to the Region 1 release that Movietyme is selling.
    The R1 release is a barebones edition with just 3 deleted scenes and a 25min documentary compared to the 11 deleted scenes and over 2 hours of making of material that the 2 Disc Region 3 release contains.

Also, both the R1 and R3 release contains a DTS track but seeing as the R3 release is cheaper and has alot more extras I have to agree with oxygenuk that the R3 release is the one to go for.