Established Member
Reaction score
1) Paul WS Anderson is making,m bringer of high class flicks such as:-

resident Evil
Soldier
event Horizon (which was ok)
Mortal Kombat

2) its coming in at PG-13!

3) This is the worst point for me, just read th plotlline.

Set in the early 21st century on Earth, Charles Weyland, an industrialist billionaire, leads an archaeological expedition in Antartica. Using thermal imaging satellites, Weyland believes to have discovered the ruins of an ancient pyramid temple that predates the Egyptian and Aztec pyramids buried under the ice. Once inside, the team finds the remains of humans with holes in the rib cage and the remains of facehuggers, meaning that the possibility of the temple being uninhabited is very unlikely. To make matters worse, five teenage Predators are coming to the temple to perform a coming-of-age ritual that involves fighting to the death with the aliens. Soon, it becomes clear that only one species is getting out alive.

Old News.

The plot doesn't strike me as being any worse than Predator 2 or the last two aliens films.

Take the worst swearing out of Aliens and I reckon it would scrape a PG13 with little difficulty. Jaws was effectively a PG remember.

As far as the Aliens vs Predator franchise goes its not that far away from the comic book plotwise. If anything its a little more elaborate and it does try to link in to the other movies.

I'll wait until the film comes otu before I pass judgement but so far the only negatives currently standing are the director ( who admittedly isn't too hot but does normally make the most of his budget) and the pretty dismal budget for a film of this type ( see previous point).

I disagree about the plotline not being too far away from the comic book, the comic had nothingh to do with pyramids on earth, or another idea of insulting egyptians and incas that they could not build pyramids, its early to say but wouldn't the predators, having already visited earth used earth as a hunting ground instead of harvesting aliens?.

It sounds like an unnessarry addition, it could also ruin the original ideas of the origin and source of the alien and Predator, plus basically he cant make a decent film.

As for Jaws, that relied more on suspense than gore to frighten ppl, i think this film will not have much suspense, as the the title suggests this will be a war, thus bringing in a war movie at PG 13 means alot of off screen action.

Well having read the script and the comic book simultaneously I didn't feel they were too far away from each other in terms of plot if not setting.
Again I say Aliens would have little difficulty in getting a PG13 if it wasn't for the swearing.

What they should of done is based the movie on another planet to avoid any plot/continuity errors in the future. The big issue from the Alien franchise was to stop the Alien race getting to Earth. Now that’s all been blown away now that we know they are already there. What’s the point in making Alien 5?

I hate it when they make a movie that wrecks the films that came before it.

Originally posted by BadAss
What they should of done is based the movie on another planet to avoid any plot/continuity errors in the future. The big issue from the Alien franchise was to stop the Alien race getting to Earth. Now that’s all been blown away now that we know they are already there. What’s the point in making Alien 5?

Totally agreed but what year is AVP supposedly set in....if its say 3010 then maybe we could let them off as all our previous attempts of stopping them coming to to earth must have somehow failed (aliens movies)....
Still a movie of its type/genre with all the gore...
PREDATOR:- spearing, throwing disc, skinning its victims and leaving them hanging, wrist blades, shoulder cannon..etc etc.
ALIEN:-Acid blood, extender jaws, sharp claws, face hugger/chest bursters etc etc
MARINES/HUMANS:- Bigg ass guns, grenades, knifes, normally very gory scenes when we get killed etc etc

So with all the above its hard to stomach a PG-13 Rating!!:mad:

Originally posted by BadAss

absolutely right, no consideration has been given to the whole idea of ripley stopping the Corporations getting hold of the alien on earth, even if he shuffles with dates so its set way after the Alien films, it negates all the comic novels about an Alien Earth War. One for the MTV generation and not for real fans. I cannot remember being so negative about a movie before even seeing it!

Well I'm sticking by my assertion that Aliens could have gotten away with a PG13 if it dropped a lot of the swearing.

The goriest in the series is resurrection which blows big time.

Bear in mind the corporation deliberately sent the Nostromo to LV426 knowing there was something there ; with an android on board who seems to have some fore knowledge that there was something biologically useful to the company.

Bear in mind that as evidenced by theabsorbtion into mythmaking of the predators by the indiginous inhabitants of their traditional hunting grounds the predators must have been coming to earth for quite a while.

Bear in mind the alien skull in predator 2..

I'd hesitate to criticise the plot for being pragmatic with the alien and predator worlds . Considering they had to bring back Ripley as a clone in the 4th one and two really likable characters from Aliens whom the audience were rooting for to survive in the first place get snuffed before the opening credits have even finished on the third.

Its hardly hallowed ground now is it?

Plot sounds ok, hopefully there will be a directors R rated cut for dvd and i think if the budget is high enough this could be a fun entertaining film, Predator and Aliens were both low budget films when they were made and it didnt stop them being good, only problem is that PG-13 rating but until i see it i'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt.

I enjoyed Event Horizon and the original Mortal Kombat and found some good things in Soldier, i haven't seen Resident Evil yet but the directors capable enough given a decent script.

Resident Evil was a lot better than I was expecting but still pretty lame.

I wouldn't agree about Aliens and Predator being low budget . They were actually quite healthy budget wise for the time.

I think the Alien skull thing in Predator 2 was just an ego thing by the writers. They just wanted to say there alien was badder/harder than the Alien. It just so happened that FOX had the rights to both franchises so couldn't sue them selves.

Studios don't take law suits out against each other anyway for films that merely reference other films.

And anyway regardless of why its in the film : its there purely to give the geeks something to notice, it is something that provides some justification for linking the franchise.

I personally couldn't give a hoot if the plot for AvP was about some scottish industrialist setting up a theme park with genetically recreated aliens in it in the 1950s. My point was that attacking the plot as being unfaithful to either the films or comic is pretty redundant by the standards of both series anyway.

My other point is that I don't feel a PG13 rating is a huge stumbling block for the film.

And my final point is that I'll reserve judgement until I see the film rather than harp on about so called "errors" in a fictional ,creaky franschise.

No it was confirmed by the director himself and the news is on several websites if you do a search for it.

Done a search and cant find anything on the rating, last interview I read which was done with Paul Anderson said that there was currently no set age rating, when did this change?

As for the film, I will be waiting until is has been released and I have watched it before I pass judgement on it.

Its a PG13.

I havent been able to find any sites telling me about the rating i guess i imagined it but heres a cool site detailing more information about the film and its production, also interesting to note the imdb site states Lance Henriksens character is called Charles Bishop Weyland.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/a/alienvspredator.php

Originally posted by FoxyMulder
I havent been able to find any sites telling me about the rating i guess i imagined it but heres a cool site detailing more information about the film and its production, also interesting to note the imdb site states Lance Henriksens character is called Charles Bishop Weyland.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/a/alienvspredator.php

MPAA Rating: Not available (FROM LINK)

Every site i go to says "rating NOT confirmed"....Without saying trust me its a PG-13 can anyone prove its a PG-13 via a recent link or other.
Cheers

Danny-p

If it did have a fixed age rating by Fox, why would Paul Anderson say...

"We’re not making any specific rated movie. We’re making the movie that we’re making and it’ll get the rating that it gets. There’s so much unpleasantness in this movie. I mean, it’s pretty gruesome."

Originally posted by Indiana Jones
If it did have a fixed age rating by Fox, why would Paul Anderson say...

"We’re not making any specific rated movie. We’re making the movie that we’re making and it’ll get the rating that it gets. There’s so much unpleasantness in this movie. I mean, it’s pretty gruesome."

Because he talks nonsense! Do you think any studio will cough up tens of millions for a film nowadays without knowing their target audience and the likelihood of seeing a profit on their investment first? These things will pretty much be decided upon by the studio execs even before pre-production begins. A director won't have a completely free hand in deciding what type of film to create, he'll be told to bring in a picture with a certain rating in mind ie "Paul, make us an aliens v predator picture with a PG-13 rating, so ease up on the gore ok." This ensures the audience is the largest possible therefore maximising the profits.

Anderson is not admitting to the rating they are aiming for so as not to upset the hardcore aliens/predator fans out there and generate un-necessary bad word of of mouth before the film's even out.

I take it that Mr. D knows this as I would guess the effects houses are also told what rating they are aiming for so the effects don't get too gory.

I remember Jurassic Park being a low rating. That imho was quite graphic and had plenty of 'action' etc to keep me fully entertained at the cinema. (I know it's a different fim altogether, just trying to show what can be achieved.)

Done well, AVP could be quite good. I for one liked Resident Evil etc so I expect to be easily pleased.:)

And as a footnote, being a PG13, surely AVP reaches its target audience perfectly. After all, it's all the young 'uns that are the most blood thirsty little ***** going.:laugh:

Originally posted by James45
Because he talks nonsense! Do you think any studio will cough up tens of millions for a film nowadays without knowing their target audience and the likelihood of seeing a profit on their investment first? These things will pretty much be decided upon by the studio execs even before pre-production begins. A director won't have a completely free hand in deciding what type of film to create, he'll be told to bring in a picture with a certain rating in mind ie "Paul, make us an aliens v predator picture with a PG-13 rating, so ease up on the gore ok." This ensures the audience is the largest possible therefore maximising the profits.

Anderson is not admitting to the rating they are aiming for so as not to upset the hardcore aliens/predator fans out there and generate un-necessary bad word of of mouth before the film's even out.

I take it that Mr. D knows this as I would guess the effects houses are also told what rating they are aiming for so the effects don't get too gory.

So could they release an edited version for the big screen and reward us loyal fans with an unrated version with more gore than ever before on dvd??

Has this ever been done before?

Danny-p

The other continuity problem is that in both Predator films a big thing is made of the Predators only hunting here in hot weather.

The native girl that they capture in the first film says that they only come in the hottest years.

So where is AVP based? - antarctica!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom