Alien Vs Predator oh dear

Well in the film Antartica is still frozen, you can tell that from looking at one of the picture from the film.

It probaley has something to do with the coming of age thing, they have to proove they can survive and what better place could there be than somewhere that is harsh and deadly.

Alien V Predator as I understand it is set in this time, not the future.

I am not to convinced about the continuity of the previous films being messed up as there as never been any firm evidence to suggest the Aliens had never been on earth before. In Alien the company is already aware of the Alien or it could certainly be interpreted that way. To quote Ash "Prioriy 1 bring back life form"

I must admit to being a little dissapointed by the earth/Antartica setting I think the current time setting is just an excuse to dumb down the role of humans to alien/Predator fodder.

I must admit to enjoying Event Horizon and hope the film goes down the route of being more suggestive than in your face but again with the PG13 rating it will be geared towards teenagers with the empasis on show rather than story.

One can but hope though.

The way I understood Ash's role in that bringing back life is priority one, was that that priority was a 'sleeper' and acted upon only if and when life was found.

It all goes back to interpretation. The Company placed Ash on the mission because they were aware of the broadcast and or the Alien. Ash replaced the original science officer two weeks before they left.

Ash is also aware that the message is a warning not a may day call.

The discussions later in the film and Ash's final discussion with Ripley could infer that he knows more about the Alien than he is letting on as throughout the film Ash has virtually no contact with the Alien apart from his analysis of the face hugger. The orders to bring back the life form priority 1 were recorded in the Nostromo's computer and were discovered by Ripley when she assumes command following Dallas death.

The first ever contact with the Alien was the with the crew of the Nostromo. Why? Because the Nostromo was on it's way back to Earth and not heading out to intercept the Alien transmission.

If anyone on Earth new about the Alien before hand why send a crew of a mining ship on a massively long trip around the galaxy to eventually stumble upon an Alien race? Far too long winded for an alibi in my book.

Ash wasn't planted on the ship, because if he was why didn't he just kill all the crew and bring the Alien and Brett home in suspended animation? If he wasn't capable of killing like when he flipped out trying to kill Ripley why didn't the company send a human who could?

If Ash knew what the Alien was, and what it could do, why did he let it get loose on the ship and reek havoc?

I think a writer can finish a story and later once shooting starts begin tweaking and messing things around. Scripts can be changed and rewritten at the very last minute to make it more interesting. I think a lot of these happened here.

One more. Why build a multi million dollar Atmosphere Processor on a planet next to a ship known to contain the most deadly Alien race known to man?

And the message as suggested was a sleeper.

Well said BadAss, hopefully that will stop ppl trying to tweak events in a movie made 25 years ago to suit a film that just seems to pay no respect or regard to the whole Alien series.

Why do you assume that the first ever contact with the Alien was the Nostromo? It is more than feasible to suggest that contact had been made previously.

The Nostromo was a commercial ship not a military one, yes it was on its way back to Earth. Why was it sent on a massivley long trip around the galaxy - Perhaps Space travel is expensive perhaps a corporate body could not justify sending a dedicated ship. Ash was almost certainly planted as the original Science officer was replaced as stated by Dallas 2 weeks before they left Earth.

With regards to Ash not killing the crew. The whole point was to bring back the Alien. In the original script and as is now included in the directors cut the Aliens victims became egss them selves thus replicating the alien cycle.

The company is always portrayed as a greedy corporate body who is activley looking to catch the Alien.

With regards to the atmosphere processor. Aliens is set 57 years after Alien. The original trasmission was switched off by Dallas. This would suggest that they were unable to contact Earth hence Ash's orders stored in Mother were already there before they departed earth.

the suggestion that they built the processor next to the deadliest species known to man suggests that the space Jockey and the Aliens are related. Maybe the original mission was secret, maybe the loss of the Nostromo was covered up who knows

At the end of the day the interpretation can be made in many different ways.

Bad Ass you suggest the script makes it up as it goes along but then dismiss this idea to try and prove your point. Either it is or it isnt. I think it is possible to argue it both ways.

Not convinced by the Sleeper notion. Good debate though.

Why have this film based in the current time and on earth? this is going to be ****

Is it actually ever said when Alien takes place, I know it is the future but if it is like 2150 then AvP couldnt be set too far into the future.

thats what i liked about alien & aliens - the fact that there is no stated time

Originally posted by Jgray

Bad Ass you suggest the script makes it up as it goes along but then dismiss this idea to try and prove your point. Either it is or it isnt.

My point is, a story can start with a rigid plot but as time goes on, and production starts, many months later the script has usually transformed/evolved.

I bet there are very few films out there that dont have dialog written on the day of the shoot.

I bet the Alien script, not the book, would be a really short read. It just lends itself to asking more questions than it answers keeping the suspense going. I bet you even Dan O bannon doesn't know the answers, well it was made in the seventies!

There is a lot of discussion on the audio commentary about the alien ship and how it got there, Ridley Scott actually had some interesting idea's, an alien race was delivering these eggs when it crashed, some sort of Bio warfare, anyways i have high hopes for Alien vs Predator.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom