Alien vs Predator - faulty disk or problem DVD player?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Astaroth, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Mornin' all

Bought the UK R2 1 disk version of Alien vs Predator yesterday (not a great film but when you have all the alien and predator movies you kind of have to buy the cross over for completeness :blush: )

Anyway, according to the sleave (& the likes of play.com) the 1 disk version is supposed to have 5.1 :dts: sound (as well as the ususal :dd: etc). When playing the disk on my Panasonic DVDS75EBS through my Denon AVR-2805 I can only get :dd:

Looking through the interactive menus on the disk there doesnt appear to be any "setup" options to select :dts: and when I pull up the on screen menu for the DVD player to select the sound track to play (which is how I normally select :dts: over :dd: even on films with the 'setup' in their menu) it only has :dd: in the menu - no :dts: nor the ususual stereo

I have managed to pick up a duff disk? Is there an issue with this film & my DVD player? Have I missed something obvious? :confused:

ps. all my other DTS disks work fine

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Astaroth

Totally agree with your reasoning on buying AvP - only reason I've got Batman & Robin (and Batman Forever really) is for completeness.

I got the 2 disk "Extreme" edition, figuring that I may as well have the extras to remind me of what it SHOULD have been. I also figure that the first disk is the same in both version.

Just spun my copy up, which the cover boasts the DTS mix quite clearly, and after ploughing through all the annoying trailers, the option is there under language selection. To verify, I played the disk and it's certainly a DTS soundtrack.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,399
    I can't imagine

a) any DVD player fault which would BOTH hide an entry in a disc menu, or a whole menu page AND disable audio selection via the player's own controls

b) any disc fault with would achieve BOTH of the above.

I suspect, therefore, either misleading packaging or a user error. Not having my own copy of the disc makes it impossible to determine which.

4. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I have the 1 disc edition. Its under language selection on the menu. Played and tested the DTS soundtrack and all is fine ;)

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    hmmm... cant remember seeing a language option under the interactive menus but will go home tonight and have another look but it certainly wasnt an option under the DVD players own controls on either the full or extended versions.

Many thanks to you all

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,095
    Thought I would just mention that we have the 1 Disc Rental version in and it has a DTS track so the 1 Disc Retail version should be identical.

7. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I second that, rental version has dts so the retail version definately should.

I wont be buying it though, terrible film :(

Regards,
    Iain.

8. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Film, though not in the same league as the original alien or predator films
    i found to be quite enjoyable.i just wish there could of been a bit more blood
    and guts and a little more tension.Any one else out that actually enjoyed the film or just me? :rolleyes:

9. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    i quite liked some of the scenes in the film , the alien/predator fight was class. not superb, but i thought it was better than the last 2 efforts from the alien franchise. overall it was what i expected.

10. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Hmm, seems odd to me, but the DTS does work under the "languages" interactive menu :thumbsup: but the DVD player wont allow me to select it from its own menu :confused: But hey, it works so I wont complain

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    No problems playing DTS on my HTPC with theatertek.

I have to say this was better than I expected in some ways . MPC did a fantastic job on the CG aliens , they look better than the practical ones. Art direction was also pretty good.

However the director really blows it on this film. They could seriously have pulled this off all they needed was better dialogue and better performances from the actors. They had plenty of resources (look at the credit list then tell me this qualifies as a budget movie). The plot was functional for this type of movie just the execution that left a lot to be desired. Actually watching the film is a different story and I just found it impossible to engage at all with any of the characters , you just could not care a fig about what happens to any of them.

If you think of this more as Predator 3 rather than an aliens continuation and if you are 12 years old you might find it entertaining (more so than the star wars prequels methinks) but its such a wasted opportunity and it didn't need any more gore (Jaws is pretty scary and Jurassic park gets away with it) just better direction.. where was the suspense , where was the jeapordy.

12. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I wouldn't worry or read too much in to that - I've got several movies that won't allow a soundtrack change during playback - the only way is to go back to the menus. However, I would not that those disks aren't recently released movies. Still, you can now "enjoy" the movie in your preferred soundtrack choice!

13. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,095
    I noticed that I couldnt change the soundtrack when the film was already playing but thought this might be the norm for Fox release as I get the same problem with the Star Wars Trilogy, I cant change the film from 5.1 to the commentary track without going to the menu and selecting it.