1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alien Quadroligy

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by maverick177uk, Dec 28, 2004.

1. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    I can pick this up at HMV for £35 or should I go for R1 version, is their any difference, and also the individual Aien Special Edition versions are also available buy 1 get 1 free which is best the boxset or the new individual ones?

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    personally i'd go for the boxset rather than the individual dvd's because you get a 9th disc in the boxset with extra features, and the boxset is, or at least was a numbered ltd edition, so definitely worth owning.

as for the comparison between R1 and R2, check out this link. R1 is the winner incase you can't be bothered reading ;)

3. Andrew Mogford

Andrew Mogford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    As he said - but although the R1 has slightly better features (and only slightly), the packaging on the R2 is far far better. The box on the R1 version is rather flimsy in my opinion.

I originally had the R1 and bought the R2 simply for the packaging. Then I got the Alien Head version, and currently have two box sets that have not even been watched! :(

4. Mumfalan

Mumfalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having traded my R2 for R1, although the R2 packaging is a bit more user friendly, the R1 has some nice artwork and personally looks much better, as does the whole boxset in general. Not to mention the various other advantages the R1 has i.e. audio commentary on both editions of the films etc, and also for me my preferred format of NTSC, trading my R2 away was a no brainer.

5. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have the R1 and my friend has the R2 version

R2 Packaging is better, in that the DVDs are held on "pages" whereas the R1 is fold out like the old Xfiles boxsets (very annoying)

i think the differences are that you get commentary on the regualr version of the film

However all things considered i would go for the R2

6. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Thanks all will go for R2 seems a bargain at £35 and with my tokens i'll get a fiver off that as well :thumbsup:

7. monkeylegs

monkeylegs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to let everyone know you can get it for £29.99 @ www.streetsonline.co.uk found it to day by mistake, and to think I paid £50 when it first came out!!!

8. cirdan

cirdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    my friend has region 1 i have region 2. i like the region 1 packaging a bit better. but to be honest its the content thats more important and obviously the price.

9. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that on the R2 versions, audio commentaries are only available on the cinema versions of the movies, while in R1 you can have commentaries on the special editions too. Worth considering if it's true and commentaries are important to you.

Cheers,
    Erling

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,179
    I never understood why the R1 release had commentaries for both versions, its not like the director could have been watching both the theatrical and special edition version at the same time so having the commentary only on the version of the film he was watching when he recorded the commentary makes sense to me.