Alien 5 Talk..cameron/Scott/weaver

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by dts borg, Sep 1, 2004.

1. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hope this comes True ;) Read all HERE Not so sure on the Arnie bit :eek:

2. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Sounds quite promising!

Fingers crossed, i'd rather see Arnie in it than Paul Anderson directing it!! :D

Seriously, i would love to see an another Aliens movie done properly, with Cameron or Scott (or both)

Rob

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    What could Alien 5 do that hasn't already been done previously in the series or by the hundreds of films inspired by the concept. As much as I would love to see another Alien movie, I just can't imagine it doing anything more than re-treading old ground.

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,015
    There is no way Arnie will do it at the same time as being Governor/President/Overlord.

Would love to see the new Aliens film set after the end of the Aliens. Ignoring the travesty of Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection.

5. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    So can be said for any movie. The thing about getting old is you begin to see repitition in nearly everything in life.
    Movies are made for a core audience, that that core audience is a certian age group which changes as time goes on. Alien will be 30 years old in five years time, around the time Alien 5 will be released. So the core audience for Alien 5 wouldn't even of been born back then when Alien was released. My point is they wont complain about repitition unless they've seen it on DVD.

Us oldies will just have to put up with it. It don't matter as long as it's well made. Me, Id love to see a 1000 drop ships touch down on the Alien home world, wouldn't you?

6. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I could live with that.

For me, I saw the natural progression from Aliens, as the Aliens reaching Earth and all hell breaking loose.

Budgets would have made that difficult 10+ years ago. But I'm sure CGI would make it a reachable goal these days.

Cheers
    Marc

7. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the script for Alien 5 has been written by Buffy creator Joss Whedon - he also wrote the script for Alien: Resurrection. Last I heard (a couple of years ago) was that Ridley Scott was seriously considering doing it - no mention of Jim Cameron.

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So basically everyone who enjoyed Alien 3 and liked the fact the series with Sigourney should have ended here will now be totally pi**ed off if Scott and Cameron get their way.

Listen folks lets be realistic Sigourney is now 20 years older than she was in Aliens and is starting to look her age too, they shouldn't consider bringing her back, if they want to do another Alien flick lets have a fresh new start with a fresh new cast Aliens needs that more than it needs Miss Weaver.

9. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think Sigourney should only play a small part as she is a little Dot Cotton these days :zonked: As AvP is set on earth I would really love to see the Aliens planet and movie set around it's home world :smashin:

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,809
    I didn't rate the 3rd and 4th films at all, so a 5th would be no interest to me at all unless they made it quite different (with a different cast).

11. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Why does Ripley have to be in it? the film is about the Alien not Ripley plus she finally lost to the alien in Alien3, so why cant we have a new film about the Alien minus her character?

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Alien3 and Resurrection were complete stinkers,and it would be nice to see Ridley Scott make a return to the director's chair if a 5th film does take place...also the idea of Aliens on Earth would make a superb plot...potentially.

13. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I agree we have no need for Ripley in a new film. Although it sounds like that isn't going to happen.

Aliens on Earth is the logical progression in scale from Alien and Aliens. In the first film we have one Alien and a few people, in the next we have a larger group of people and a small hive, so the next step has to be on a grander scale, which means either Earth or the Alien planet.

In my opinion Earth just leads to some many more possibilities of what you could do.

Films 3 and 4 took the series no further, but it is a big Universe with lots going on, so we can easily forget (rather than ignore) they have happened too...

Cheers
    Marc

14. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liked the 3rd, despised the 4th but will they take the films in the direction of where the Aliens actually come from? And if so will it be the creepiness and psychological horror of Alien (imho by miles the best of them all) or will it be just another crash-bang-wallop action film where the Aliens are reduced to being more fodder. I really loved the ending of 3 for the simple reason that it gave a sense of finality to the character of Ripley, to me the film made logical sense. 4 merely showed that they had run out of ideas....as well as people who read scipts before they begin shooting (although ironically the same could be said about 3).

If it happens, well maybe great, but presumably this means that there will be yet another Alien box set *sigh*, talk about quadruple-dipping or what... :mad:

15. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Didn't weaver say she had no interest in doing another aliens film if it was set on earth?

16. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think so. In the Quad box she also says that if she were to do another then she would like it to be set on the Alien homeworld in some kind of origin type manner. But then she did sneer at AvP whilst agreeing to do Resurrection so who knows what she mean
    !! ;)

17. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    double post

18. VMAX

VMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Why does it have it to be a sequel? Why not a prequel? That gets round having Ripley or any existing characters in it. VMax

19. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    Is 27 old? I suppose it's all relative. Same with movies. I think it's just that I've been disapointed by sequels so often that I've become sceptical. When you're younger you believe all the hype. Sometimes you want to belive the hype , or hope for the best even though you really know it's gonna be awful. As my dad always says, "If you assume the worst you can only be plesently suprised". Personally I find my expectations are unrealistically high, and therefore I often find enjoy watching something a 2nd time round. I find watching a film with no pre-conceptions a far more enjoyable experience. Havign recently watched 'The 'Village' at the cinema and knowing there was a twist near the end I was expecting something akin to the twist in Sixth Sense, and was underwhelmed by it. Perhaps if I had no previous knowledge of his last 3 films it would have seemed fresh.

It's difficult to critique a film on it's own merits, therefore you tend to use other films as a benchmark. After 3 and 4 I can't imagine 5 being as good as, let alone better than the first 2. Just like I'm sure Predator vs Aliens will be terrible, I'll still go see it though.

20. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Isn't that a contradiction? But I see where your coming from.

When you look at the top ten grossing films of the last few years then you see films like Finding Nemo, Shrek 2 and Harry potter do realy well beating most block buster titles, so now kids are the traget audience, thats why films like AvP are getting made, and thats why they pick puppet directors to make them.

Us oldies are far more picky and far more likely to buy a film on DVD rather than go to them cinema to see them.

21. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Alien 5 :rolleyes: :boring:
    2 words..........................Police Academy

Time to invent a new alien with Hydrogen gas blood so if you kill it it will blow everyone up around it :laugh:

22. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also love to see a 5th Alien movie and although unlikely I would like to see it without Ripley.

As far as directors go I hate to say this but I think James Cameron has passed his best... Titanic anyone! Yes I know it's the all time biggest box-office hit but it was a pile of crap and unless you're taking oestrogen you really shouldn't like it. I'm not certain who should direct the movie maybe Ridley Scott but definitely not Paul Anderson.

With Hollywood's current trend of making films with lower and lower ratings I am concerned about a possible 5th movie following the same trend. Alien 5 should never be made unless it is guaranteed to be an 18 rating like all the previous incarnations.

I don't think the story needs to be taken in a radical direction and it isn't going to be fresh in the strictest sense. I just want to see a well-made adult movie continuing the alien story

23. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree completely with you, Titanic is a great epic film with very good performances and a good script, i loved it and i'm a guy.

As for another Alien film i just hope they see sense and ditch Sigourney as the series does not need her character to survive what it needs is a good script and some vision to bring the series into the 21st century, there are so many possibilities but to go back down the old weary road of rehashing the Ripley story would be a huge mistake.

24. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IF they do another film. TWO things to be done please. ONE:AT least an 18 rating. TWO: NO CGI what so ever it just looks really bad.

25. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    CGI is a must have, as long as its done well. Take Star Ship Troopers for example. Some of those shots are amazing. Jurassic Park is another. But you can critisise traditional effects like models and guys in suits. Look at the queen in Aliens when she steps out the lift, arms flapping around in the wind!

Alien V needs a Director who not only understands the creature and how it moves, behaves but also the technology thats going to be used to bring thousands of them to life. I just dont think there is any Director out there who can do all the following, undestand the creature, the way it moves, thinks, kills, survives. Understand the technology to tell the story and not use it as brainless eye candy. It also needs a Director who can stand up to the studios.

Ok there is one, Ridley Scott!

26. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sending legions of marines down to the home planet of the Xenomorph for a frag-fest sounds a bit like Starship Troopers to me. Not that its a bad "format" for a film :devil:

It would give the character designers the opportunity to make bigger and more interesting alien designs - flex their creative muscles.

I think it is important to have ripley in there somewhere - she's as much a part of the Alien Saga as the Xenomorph itself. Would be a little "empty" without her, IMO.

As for what should happen in Alien 5, I'd like to see one of either 2 things:

1) It be an Alien Vs Alien theme with any number of tribes/groups of aliens trying to kill each other with humans getting stuck in the middle.

The "twist" could be that we won't have to kill them, they'll kill each other instead.

2) Or, Weyland Yutani actually managing to harness the power of the Xenomorph, and use them as weapons in an earth-based war for global domination (how cool would it be to have cybernetically-enhanced aliens stomping across the battlefield :clap: ).

The "twist" could be that the surviving humans actually begin to become too dependant on Xenomorph technology/power for existence (Bit like nuclear power - in that respect, very much a double-edged sword.) and end up having to co-exist with the buggers forever.

It would be a bit too obvious to have the Aliens manage to free themselves and kill all the humans (been done before in Resurrection - which you guys are being far to hard with - its a good movie).

Oh and course, I'd like to see some lightsabres in there too :laugh:

DT

27. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I don't think the director needs to understand all of the technology involved after all that is what the rest of the crew is there for. As you said a good script is essential, the same as quality CGI... You couldn't make it without.

I don't think it's a case of standing up to the studios but more a case that the studio has faith in the director, without it it will be an uphill struggle. I think any director who takes the job has got his work cut out as there will be tremendous pressure to live up to the first two films.

Anyway I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

28. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    If you don't have a Director with the passion for his work, who's willing to stand for what he believes in ie:saying no to a 13 rating then you loose respect for him and the whole project. With your first step you put your best foot forward and not be tripped up by the distribution company who soul interest are profit margins.

Ridley Scott is a man who will either do it his way, the right way, or just wont do it at all. Unlike Anderson.

29. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I don't think someone like Anderson has the credibility or resume to be able to say no to a studio when it comes to things like rating.

Someone like Scott and Cameron have a much better chance to get what they want as they are well proven. But even then at the end of the day it is unlikey to be their £100 million dollars and money talks.

First and foremost the big studios want box office dollar, if they get a great film too then even better, but by no means essential.

Marc

30. Geezer4

Geezer4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think that the film makers ever trawl through these sites to get an idea of what the film watching populace would like to see?

I'd hope so...

I think there are a lot of good ideas being thrown around here. Personally I'd like to see an Aliens 5 movie, with or without Sigourney Weaver (is that spelt right?).

I think that if it was based on earth it would have a different feel to it than the other movies. Being on earth would feel like it was happening outside your own door and so could be quite scary psychologically (if it's done well).

However, if it was based on another planet the director could really let his imagination run wild and produce something really new and creative, again, if it's done well.

Fingers crossed...