Alien 3 Disk Issue

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by sjp1966, Jul 17, 2004.

1. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Last night i watched the special edition Alien 3 from the R1 Quadrilogy boxset. There are some scenes near the end when the prosoners are using themselves as bait to corner the alien, and at one point one of the prisoners sees the alien and throws a lit torch at it. On my version of the disk it was plainly obvious (glaringly so) that the Alien was CGI, is anyone else having this problem

On another note, i think the SE version is much better than the normal one, i still think Alien 3 is the runt of the series but i actually enjoy it, is there anyone else out there that likes Alien 3, or am i the only one :p

2. ns1col

ns1col
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Same on my disk with the CGI alien. The SE edition is a far better movie apart from the dodgy sound on the extra scenes.

3. girliedrinker

girliedrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only CGI used in Alien 3 is where the Alien head cracks open at the end. The majority of the effects are puppets, which are impressive, but have been poorly implented in places. One of the worst instances I can think of is when the Alien is waiting on the roof in one of the corridors, the image is very obviously superimposed. Given that CGI was just starting to make an appearance around this time, it's a real shame that the old-school optical effects are generally cack. Even the exterior shots where debris is racing past the camera - it all looks fake.

That said, I've always liked the film (despite the gaping holes in the plot), and the new cut fleshes out some of the characters who previously I failed to care about. And Alien 3, to my mind, is still one-hundred-billion times better than Alien Resurrection, which is mis-cast and mis-crewed. Shame that Alien vs Predator could be even worse than that.

4. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree, whilst i didnt think that alien3 is the best film of the series, it IS better than resurrection.
    my fave part of 3 is where bishop 2 comes in at the end, fantastic twist :)

5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,147
    Alien vs Predator could go either way yet, depends if the rumors about it being aimed at the 12A age range are true. How can it be Alien vs Predator without any bloody chestbusters, alien heatbites, predator skinnings and decapitations, those things are what make the Alien and Predator so feared but according to the book, all of the above are in the film and if they are I am sure fans of both franchise will really enjoy the film but guess we will just have to wait and see.

As for Alien 3, I thought the Special Edition did make for a much better film than the original and I didnt really notice that much bad audio apart from near the start and even in its original form, Alien 3 was alot better than Alien Resurrection.

6. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This is the section i am talking about, i thught it was bad CGI but superimposed is a better terms anyway, i never noticed this when i had it on the legacy boxset

7. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    The extended version of Alien 3 (or assembley print) does have some CGI footage added. The bulk of the FX'x are the original puppet/travelling matte version used in the original theatrical print, but the scene were the chestburster escapes from the dead ox is new CGI as the sequence was never properly completed.

It clearly stated in the sleeve notes that some extra scenes have been shot to complete the film for this version.

8. Stanleh

Stanleh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It would take quite a big idiot to mess up Aliens v Predator, i mean look at the concept. Now lets look at the director the man directed other "classics" such as mortal kombat and soldier. As much as it hurts me to say so, i think alien v predator is going to be very very bad drivel aimed at 12 year olds as previously mentioned.
    Allso fairly knew to the forums so hi lads and ladies !!

9. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    i think it's gonna be a 21st century horror movie, much like Freddy Vs Jason or Resident Evil. Very pop culture and in-your-face, but little tension or real horror. I expect to get a kick out of it, but not to feel anything like i would watching the original Alien or Predator movies.

I just noticed on the AvP site that Lance Henriksen is reprising his role as Bishop. I wonder how that'll work..

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,147
    Lance Henriksen is playing the part of Charles Bishop Weyland in Alien vs Predator.
    At this point in time the Weyland Yutani company from Alien and Aliens hasent become one company yet and are still 2 seperate companies and Lance is playing Charles Weyland who is the owner of the Weyland company which happen to be making advances in robotics technology. They are saying that the Bishop android from Aliens is modeled on the founder of the Weyland company which is why Lance is playing the role, wouldnt have made any sense otherwise lol

Whether it will be any good or not remains to be seen, if they have watered it down for the 12A crowd then all the bits we love about the Alien and Predator movies will most likely be gone but there was news a few days ago that the film had been given a hard R rating in the US for extensive and graphic violence, gore and language which makes me hopefull that the film will be true to the other Alien and Predator films but until the MPAA official announce a rating its all still rumor.

11. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    If this film is anything like Freddy Vs Jason then it will have become about 100 times better than I think it is going to be......

I actualyl found FvsJ really good fun........ I am expecing AvsP to be bloody awful!

12. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Ditto: it's going to be Lowest Common Denominator popcorn dreck of the highest order.

Read the comics: they ain't great (by a long shot) but they're better than the movie's going to be by a cosmic margin...

The Paul of Anderson: why could you possibly get excited by anything that this chattel could ever produce. Is Sean Pertwee in it by any chance?

13. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,147
    Surely he cant get it that wrong, its about Aliens and Predators fighting and killing, you dont have to be a genius to get that right, who cares if the plot sucks, as long as the fights are good it will please the fans and that is who Anderson said he was aiming the film it so if you are not a fan of the comics, books or PC games then chances are you wont like the film no matter what.

I am going to hold out judgement on it until I have actually seen it, that is unless they announce its a 12A then I will agree it will be a load of ****e as you cant take two 18 rated franchises, put them together and give it a 12A lol

14. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Lameness of the highest order.

This is the man who managed to make a zombie film without any gore.

15. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,147
    From what I have read there was more gore but it had to be cut from the film to avoid an NC-17 rating, maybe there will be a Directors Cut released in the future with all the gore intact.

On a different note, does anyone know of any easter eggs on any of the Alien Quadrilogy discs?

16. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a bang on this number: http://www.avp-movie.com/

from the trailers, it looks like it could be gash as I dont recognise one actor other than old Lance

17. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I've read that he pretty much shot what was shot because it was always intended to get a "middle" rating to attract the tweenie/teenie dollar, but there you go...

I know PA's twittered on about SE's and such of RE and Event Horizon... I don't think there's much extra material banging about (PA is quite the economical director, which is why he's popular with the studios).

To be honest I don't care so I'll stop posting. He fills me with ennui....