1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alien 3 (Contains spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Setenza, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Or Alien cubed as those with a mathematical bent may call it. Finally got round to watching the extended version or "Assembly Print" in the Quadrology boxset. Well I certainly re-evaluated my opinion of this film.

I always thought that although intriguing, it felt like a film that carried the scars of studio interference. Characters dropped out of the story, plot lines were left unresolved. Then along comes the initial cut of the film, which has been pain stakingly restored, and suddenly we now have a more coherent offering.

There are many scenes and differences that I could list, but I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't yet watched it. Let's just say that the Alien in this version gestates in a different host and that the ending is now minus what I considered to be an unnecessary embellishment.

Has anyone else got any new thought on th film and this alternative version?

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    **Contains Spoliers**

I completely agree that some of the additional footage adds to the coherence of the story. It definitely helped to make some of the characters more real.

As far as the Host is concerned I much preferred the version with the dog as I had always felt that the Alien took on the characteristics of its host, so it didn't make sense to now see it born from a totally different animal... Also in the "Assembly Cut" the dog still went missing but that plot line remained unresolved if I remember rightly...

My biggest complaint about Alien 3 however is not at all redressed in the new cut, and that is that it negates everything that happened to the characters that survived the ordeal of Aliens - getting rid of newt and hicks in the credit sequence was just bad! :thumbsdow

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the new cut of Alien 3 but like Lex i prefer the alien busting out of the dog because at present the dog is seen then mysteriously just vanishes, i also prefer to have the scene where the alien queen shows itself as it has more emotional power and weight to it than the way the scene plays in the extended edition.

4. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,203
    I always quite liked this film. The scene where the two inmates are pegging it through the corridors from different directions and then crash into each other is one of my favourite scenes in the whole Quadrology.