Aliasing Aplenty, Annoyed

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by jesuisbonesaw, Feb 10, 2009.

1. jesuisbonesaw

jesuisbonesaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ever since getting a 17" TFT monitor with VGA HD cable for my 360 years ago and then migrating to a 26" HD telly with HDMI, I've ALWAYS had mass jaggies on all my games so I wanted to get rid of them. I just bought this monitor:

Asus 22-inch VH226H Widescreen LCD Monitor with: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

After plugging it in today, I like what I see, it seems like an awesome piece of kit. BUT I STILL get aliasing! I was playing Skate 2 and Bad Company, and the jaggies are actually worse than before. I've set the 360 to 1080P and messed around with the sharpness, but nothing gets rid of it.

After hearing how this ASUS monitor works so well with 360/PS3 HD games, I thought my jaggy woes were over. I know most games just havw them anyway, but I've seen Skate 2 without the jaggies on a friend's 19" monitor.

Sorry for the ramble, but is there ANY way I fix this? :lease:

2. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Is there any sharpness settings in the monitors menu, if so the post processing the monitor is doing could be at fault.

3. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    720p
    Intermediate Referance Levels (I like it)
    Sharpness 0, anybody setting it higher than 5 is a fool.

Try installing the games to HD if the above fails.

Oh and dont use any stoooopid game modes.

4. jesuisbonesaw

jesuisbonesaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    None of that seems to work, especially the sharpness. It doesn't seem to change at all!

I turned up the sharpness all the way and it definitely worsens it, but even when down to 0 it's still nowhere near as crisp and smooth as I know it should be.

Maybe I switch to VGA for my xbox and DVI for PC (right now I use HDMI for xbox and VGA for PC)?

I've seen plenty people with this issue too and there never seems to be a fix! This is my third method of playing my 360 and it's still present. Bah!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  5. craigsrocco

craigsrocco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have my 360 connected to my Acer 22" widscreen monitor with a 360 vga cable and the pic is superb, no jaggies or anything. Have set resolution to 1680x1050.

I used to have it connected via a hdmi > dvi lead but that gave me a terrible picture.

6. jesuisbonesaw

jesuisbonesaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That's interesting. I have a friend who has a VGA cable, I'll lend it from them to see if it's better.

What was the quality like with the HDMI for you?

7. craigsrocco

craigsrocco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The pic through hdmi was fuzzy/blurry and jaggy, however when connected to 32" lcd tv it was fine but i bought the monitor soley for the 360 so not to tie the tv up. The vga lead was a madcatz one i think which i bought from currys.

I dont think it was the monitor as i used to have a ps3 and when that was connected to the monitor through hdmi>dvi lead that picture was great.

8. jesuisbonesaw

jesuisbonesaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't think my monitor is causing it either. All the reviews I read for it claimed how good it was for 360/PS3 use.

Do you reckon if I try out VGA instead of HDMI then I'll get a better picture?

BTW, I just connected the DVI lead into the PC instead of VGA and it works but the highest end res isn't available for some reason. Any idea why?

9. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Some people have experienced better quality pictures with VGA rather than HDMI but in theory it shouldn't be technically speaking. I guess its largely dependant on the screens input qualities.

10. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    ANY sharpness past 5 will give you an unnatural fake image with edges the games designers didnt design to be in the software...

Whatever floats ya boat I guess...

11. jesuisbonesaw

jesuisbonesaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK I got my hands on a VGA cable but sadly there is no real significant difference. The colour is sharper than HDMI but the aliasing is still just as present.

I've tried all the resolutions available to me but none of them make a difference. The sharpness on my monitor is at 0.

What do you guys recommend the best settings are?

12. MetalMonkee

MetalMonkee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have you tried changing the settings via your xbox?

Goto the display settings of your Xbox and set the resolution as high as your TV permits and it might just sort it out. :)

I had my xbox undo its settings and when trying to play Midnight Club i could barely read the map or writing.

13. jesuisbonesaw

jesuisbonesaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah I changed for the best available for my monitor, and the dashboard looks better than on some resolutions but the games are all the same.

14. evangelink

evangelink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Out of interest, are you sitting the same distance away from this monitor as you were the 17"?

15. jesuisbonesaw

jesuisbonesaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah I am but I know it's not my sitting distance. With my 26" HDTV I was laying back on my bed and could still notice all the aliasing.

As I've mentioned it's peeing me off big time now, cos I know the extend of the jaggies I'm seeing shouldn't be in the game. I get a lot in GTA IV, especially on thin objects like poles or glasses frames. It's pretty ugly at times.

I've tried all the resolutions on VGA with different reference levels and no noticeable change. :(