1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ALIAS - What C4 Wouldn't Let You See!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Sep 14, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Well I watched tonight’s airing of “Alias” Episode 1 on C4, and I can now offer you the following details of what was cut!

In total, there were approximately 5m 35s of cuts! Of these, the longest was about 1m 49x, and the shortest was just 3s. In total, some 14 separate edits were made to this one episode!

The cuts were, as follows:

1- After opening credits scene, we go straight into the opening shot of Sydney being tortured. Whole sequence was removed by C4. (1m 01s)

2- About 20m into the episode, after Syd tells Danny in the shower who she works for, a long-shot of rear-only nudity (male and female) is removed, along with the ensuing argument, and details showing that Danny hits Syd around the face, who then proceeds to cry. Plus, more torture scene removal. (1m 49s)

3- The discovery of Danny’s body in the bath has been cut, to remove bloody shots, and to edit all sight of Sydney screaming horrendously. (21s)

4- More torture scene removal, including scenes of side-effects of the drugs Syd has been given to quell her pain. Also removal of her fake confessional to the torturer. (1m 47s)

5- In the car-park, Sydney is attacked by a gunman. Excessive shots of gunfire against Sydney and various cars have been removed. (9s)

6- When Sydney attacks the gunman, she doesn’t just knock him out. A long scene of fighting has been removed, including repeated blows to the head, face, upper body, legs, and headbutts. (37s)

7- More torture scene removal. (50s)

8- The break-in has been edited. When Sydney is knocked unconcious, after picking the lock and breaking her lock-picks, more footage has been removed to edit out all scenes of her being knocked out by a Taiwanese soldier, and her capture/torture. (13s)

9- During the torture scene, Sydney headbutts him, and then crushes him under the chair. She crushes his body brutally, in the uncut scene. (6s)

10- Sydeny then handcuffs him to the chair, but proceeds to torture him, and has a fight with the guards. More edits for fighting. (Head blows, karate chops, etc, etc.) (33s)

11- Sydney escapes with the gadget from the laboratory. Excessive gunfire and the resulting gas-main explosion was edited out. (13s)

As you can see once again, C4 have edited an adult show for the kiddies, and have made it worse for adult viewers. The only bonus to watching this show on C4, is the fact they are airing it in Widescreen. Other than that, a big 1 out of 10 for effort. This may actually be worse than the “Angel” Season 1 fiasco!!

Lots of letters and phonecalls to the ITC please!!!

Pooch

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I watched it for the first time tonight (missed it on Sky) and could tell that it had been heavily edited - It was obvious as there were big gaps and plot holes everywhere (that and the fact that instead of being 90mins long it was about 85mins). This completely spoilt it for me and I wont bother watching the rest of the series on CH4 which is a real shame as I thought it was a really great show. (Is it going to be released on DVD anytime soon?)

I have never understood the way terrestrial tv channels treat US import shows. The mainstream stuff like ER and Friends are fine, they get primetime weekend slots, but big shows like Star Trek, X-Files, Buffy, Angel, B5 etc get put in ridiculous timeslots, get cut, moved about without notice, cancelled for sporting events etc... I don't know why they bother buying them! :mad: :rolleyes: :mad:

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Totally agree.....
    With Angel it seemed to make a difference, the complaints we made, at least that's better treated now.
    After watching Alias I contacted C4 to complain, who knows maybe they will show an unedited run 10pm or whatever.
    I can't believe a " cult " series has been messed up yet again......Buffy, Angel, Northern Exposure, American Gothic, Dark Skies, The X-Files, Roswell High...

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Spot on.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Most terrestrial TV stations buy these shows on the spur of their success in the US. However, UK TV then refuses to let these same shows get a fanbase.

In the end, you get channels like C4, BBC2, Sky 1 etc, all expecting the show to be an immediate hit here in the UK, but only letting us see about 5 episodes out of 22 (or more). Hardly long enough for most fans to make up their minds, as all new shows take a long time to get settled down, and to showing their good sides.

Hell, even the really popular shows like "Star Trek", "Babylon 5", "Stargate SG-1"", etc, etc had First Seasons that contained some pretty suspect episodes, yet they all went on to become very big successes.

Also, most channels in the UK see Sci-Fi and fantasty shows, as being nothing more than schedule-fillers, rather than shows that are worth giving a damn about! Hence, that's why they are treated so badly. Not to mention, that until TV station start treating cult TV fans with some respect, then we're always going to be seen as a "minority audience" and thus, it's okay to drop our fave show for a month, because of bloody sport, or whatever.

The day that ANY station drops live sports coverage for a cult TV show, will be the day I turn to cannibalism! :D

Pooch

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I would've thought that was a given, considering you're stuck on the couch:confused: :D

7. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh, we had that epside on terrestrial (TV3) about 4 weeks agoi. Uncut (from what you've mentioned). Nice and full of gore. A friend of mine works for the "censorship" dept of Tv3 and they try to avoid hacking anything out. We had Pulp Fiction in full and uncut about 12 months back. Only bummer is that we don;t get it in widescreen (grrr).

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke