1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ali 1394 Firewire card and JVC DV357 camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by michaelm, Feb 11, 2002.

1. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought one of these cards from Dabs and it has installed okay using Windows own OHPC drivers on my P3 800mhz 512Mb Ram Win98SE system. But when I connect my camcorder to the card and run Ulead Media Studio Pro, it cannot detect a device.

Am I doing something wrong or does it just sound like a dodgy card or cable?

2. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's unlikely you have a dodgy cable.

I remember, there was a problem with 98se that gave the problem you describe. This needed an update from the windowsupdate site.

Try going to

Windows Update

and hit the "Product Updates" link.

This will give you a list of possible updates for your machine. Look out for something like "1394 storage supplement".

Let me know if this doesn't work. I can dig out the link from somewhere.

There was also an issue if you originally updated from Windows 95. Different fix. Let me know if this is what happened.

Cheers

Laurel

PS. Also make sure you have 98se, as the plain Win 98 does not correctly support firewire.

3. YJ

YJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also had a bit of trouble but found out it was down to the PCI slot being shared by another device and to ACPI making all the devices use IRQ 9.

The link below was very helpful in highlighting what you need to do to make your OHCI Firewire card work.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ieee-1394_support.html

4. nkasic

nkasic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have JVC GR-DVP9 and worked fine on my XP laptop, but I couldn't make it work on Win2k. It wasn't detected.
    I spent 2 weeks and discovered just last night that it works when I unplugged my network cable. I tried everything before, re-shuffled cards, re-installed software several times etc.
    At the end I replaced network card and now it works fine.
    Strange.
    Network card and connection was working fine otherwise.
    Nik

5. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd forgotten about this post until now :blush:

Anyway, here's an update.

Dabs refunded the card and told me not to return it. I upgraded to XP and the card works fine :D

6. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same DV camera as you, Michaelm - no problems with Firewire and XP - however - I am curious to know if you have succeeded in getting the DV-IN facility to work. I want to transfer finished movies to DV tape for archiving and the inbound link to the camera doesn't work propoerly. Have you tried this yet?

7. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same DV camera as you, Michaelm - no problems with Firewire and XP - however - I am curious to know if you have succeeded in getting the DV-IN facility to work. I want to transfer finished movies to DV tape for archiving and the inbound link to the camera doesn't work propoerly. Have you tried this yet?

8. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, I used Ulead Media Studio Pro and sent the finished product back to the camcorder and it plays no problem. Since then I have invested in a DVD-RW and now put all my home movies on to dvd.

9. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    lampshuk : i have a 357 too, and the DV IN works fine. i use Vegas4.0 for my editing ( www.sonicfoundry.com more comparable to premier for pricing/quality than anything like ulead (which i cannot stand)) and i've rendered videos to DV and sent to the tape. make sure u set dv in on the camera first (change to PLAY and press record to arm it, then record again to trigger)