1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfie

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by valhalla, Oct 23, 2004.

1. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is something of a curate's egg of a film...the original is so well remembered and well liked that it is easy to forget the flaws, but for modern studios keen to exploit an audience who may know the name of a film but be unfamiliar or unwilling to check out the original a rush to the remake seems an obvious answer to accessing new dollar streams.

The problem with the film is it simply isn't a very strong idea. The supporting cast is good with Susan Sarandon in excellent form whereas Jude Law remains unconvincing as a lead man capable of carrying a film, particularly one based on material as slight as this. Add in to the mix a real sense of out of place machismo and laddishness that strikes a rather unpleasant note in these modern times with several pinches of homophobia, the whole thing starts to stink up a theater despite Law's best attempts to walk through another role with his usual trademark cheeky but good looking persona...it will work for some I have no doubt but...with leaden direction and pedestrian eye for editing Alfie is one for pay-per-view or Blockbuster curiosity when you can't find anything else on.

And let's not forget Mick Jagger's whining irritation of a soundtrack - a discordant mix of songs that somehow jars the nerves at "poignant" moments.

All in all another sorry case of reaching for the remake, attempting an update of something best left to sit in its own 60s time capsule, rather than try and find something new, fresh and invigorating...give your brain a break and see Jude in a minor role in a good film like I Heart Huckabees instead.

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    You write this yourself?

I thought the editing was the most interesting part of it , very well done , certainly not pedestrian. I thought the script was unconvincing : Alfie is way too nice ( I felt he was giving himself far too hard a time in the latter half of the film considering his pretty moderate behaviour) . The scenes with the old guy Joe were very clunky and corny I found.

As for the homphobic stance I'd suggest it was more symptomatic of Alfie attaching too much identity to his highly strung sexuality and reacting strongly to anything that potentially disagreed with this , be it homosexuality or monogamy. I'd hesitate to label the film homophobic.

The shot of the winking woman in the burkha was far more reactionary.

Overall I thought it was an interesting enough film and Law's performance possibly the best thing about it. Apart from the seamless compositing of course.

3. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did. I'm at Uni studying for a Journalism degree with an eye towards the entertainment area of writing/broadcasting. Maybe that should be in my sig.

Glad you enjoyed the film. In retrospect it left me with a few questions about my current lifestyle - that can only be a plus point at the moment!

4. plasmoid

plasmoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everything I've heard about it so far has been pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing it sometime this weekend.

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    What's it all about?

6. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Interesting comments, in particular as the rehash made number six in the recent "all time worst remakes" poll, with Sly's naff cover of "get carter" making number one. I won't be watching it, as the original Alfie was one of the most cleverly crafted films, and best performances, Caine ever made. You very rarely, (if ever) improve on a classic.

Sorry, I just don't see the point of all these rehashes......... I mean planet of the apes remake for example was just - aaaaaaaaaghhhhhh!! :mad:

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    And I wonder how many of them actually saw it?
    I don't love it , I think the original is over-rated personally. Its not a bad film, there are bits that really grate on me but its reasonably entertaining. Law's performance is good , some of the scenes have a certain freshness to them and its reasonably thought provoking without being a dirge.

I haven't met anyone who didn't at least say they found it was "ok" and quite a few of them are very very hard to please.

They would have been better off not titling it Alfie maybe.