Alexa operated 6 way group LED/GU10 lights for media wall shelves?

Broadsword

Hi Guys,

We are having a media wall built in the living room which consists of a wall mounted TV, electric fire, LCR in wall speakers and 2 lots of 3 shelves either side of the TV. Will look a little like this (hopefully):

IMG_5332.PNG

My question revolves around the lighting, I'm very familiar with the likes of Govee, Kasa, Hue etc with regards to LED strips and smart bulbs etc and their integration into Alexa or an app that can group them into scenes. However as there will be six seperate lighting spaces I'm going to need something a little more refined than 6 individual LED strips which would require powering 6 times. I'm hoping to have a single unit, housed behind the TV that conect the 6 lights together into a single unit that can be controlled by an app or Alexa so that we can voice control them. Ideally some sort of rope lighting with the inbuilt diffusers would be my first choice as can be shown in the picture. Woudl like to avoid any kind of GU10 fittings if possible.

So what do I need (apart from an electrcian please, I will get one involved if needed but) that would meet those requirements? The nmedia wall guy can do remote controlled lighting using his normal electrician but it won't be Alexa controlled.

Any pointers to get me started would be most appreciated.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member

Broadsword

If all white ie not rgbw I’d use 6 24v white led strips , 2 x Shelly rgbw2 modules (ignore the module name as each one can control up to 4 single colour strips) and a single led driver to power them all. The exact size of driver would depend on length and spec of led strip

Easily done yourself and Alexa controllable as well as the Shelly app

Hi Seb, thanks for your reply. It would be preferable to have the colour lights to be honest, is that doable with the shelly?

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Yes, the main use for the modules is for colour strips (RGBW) but just you'd need more (up to 6 of them if you wanted to control each separately). If you link a few then you can reduce that number

Broadsword

Yes, the main use for the modules is for colour strips (RGBW) but just you'd need more (up to 6 of them if you wanted to control each separately). If you link a few then you can reduce that number
I don't really need to have them independant. How do I power these shelley units do they need hardwiring or is it the driving the does that, i.e plug in the driver and connect the strips via the shelley? Each length is 90cm, so if I wanted to link three each side of the TV how would I do that?

Seems I have some learning to do here I think.

Thanks.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
They need power from the LED Driver (power supply) 12v/24 that you will need anyway for the LED strips. for 6M you would need a 100W LED driver

My recommendation is

5M RGBW LED Strip
1 x RGBW LED Strip natural white

1 x 100w LED Driver Mains powered
1 x LED Driver 100W 24V

1 x Shelly RGBW2 module

Then just some connecting wires and fixings

Cut the 5M LED RGBW strip into 6 lengths (hopefully enough otherwise buy another 5M)

Run all lengths back to Shelly module and LED driver with connecting wire (ideally soldered)

Broadsword

They need power from the LED Driver (power supply) 12v/24 that you will need anyway for the LED strips. for 6M you would need a 100W LED driver

My recommendation is

5M RGBW LED Strip
1 x RGBW LED Strip natural white

1 x 100w LED Driver Mains powered
1 x LED Driver 100W 24V

1 x Shelly RGBW2 module

Then just some connecting wires and fixings

Cut the 5M LED RGBW strip into 6 lengths (hopefully enough otherwise buy another 5M)

Run all lengths back to Shelly module and LED driver with connecting wire (ideally soldered)

Are wago's ok for the fixings?

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
1651511410843.png
1651511410843.png

Run each strip in parallel back to module (image above has a physical switch (edited) as well but you dont need this)

Last edited:

Broadsword

View attachment 1691291View attachment 1691291

Run each strip in parallel back to module (image above has a physical switch (edited) as well but you dont need this)
Hi Seb,

Noddy question, am I right in thinking I can just attach a plug to the driver wiring?

Also when you say parallel, can I use normal 2.5mm lighting cable from the shelley into a wagu and then attach the LED strips to the wagu? and then place the wagu into a wagu box?

So plug into driver into shelley into wagu and then onto the lights? Assuming I use a single white led strip rather than colour? I could then just use a single shelley unit and attach say the three led strips on the left to one of the RGBW connections into the 3 wayh wagu and then the same for the other 3 strips into one of the other RGBW connections?

Also these drivers have been out of stock for some time, are there any other suppliers of the 100w drivers that you could recommend?

Last edited:

Harkon321

You can cut and extend the new Hue V4 strips. Can use snap on connectors and connect all together. Not cheap but a lot cheaper than 6 strips. This is 8 strips with a gap between every strip.

B66BD569-44A7-474D-BF24-DD9A6A545524.jpeg

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Hi Seb,

Noddy question, am I right in thinking I can just attach a plug to the driver wiring?

Also when you say parallel, can I use normal 2.5mm lighting cable from the shelley into a wagu and then attach the LED strips to the wagu? and then place the wagu into a wagu box?

So plug into driver into shelley into wagu and then onto the lights? Assuming I use a single white led strip rather than colour? I could then just use a single shelley unit and attach say the three led strips on the left to one of the RGBW connections into the 3 wayh wagu and then the same for the other 3 strips into one of the other RGBW connections?

Also these drivers have been out of stock for some time, are there any other suppliers of the 100w drivers that you could recommend?

Yes just attach a plug

Yes you can use Wagu connector

Yes that sounds right

LED Driver | 150W | 24V | IP20 | constant voltage | EC Series you

Harkon321

I need 6m of LED, for hue that would be £200 just on the strips. Can't justify that much really.

Always buy Hue on offer, never pay full price. Black Friday, Prime Day. Boxing Day etc.

Hue 2m plus 1m extension will be £50 in those events. So £100 for your 6m. Connectors will push that up though. Options above will be cheaper if you don’t need the control options.

Broadsword

Thanks everyone I've bought all the equipemnt I need and Ive just been testing it today, works like a dream. Although I did need to change the default shelley setting to whote from colour. The connectors supplied were too narrow for the 12mm strip so I had to manipulate the metal connectors a little for them to work.

IMG_5403.jpg

Just need to add the second batch of three for the other side and we are in bsuiness. Total cost around £180. Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom