Question Alexa integration to sound bar

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by I3uller, Dec 4, 2017.

1. I3uller

I3uller
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

Have sort of a weird question I couldn’t figure out by searching all over the internet. I have an LG LAS551H sound bar that I use connected to my TV. I also just got an Echo Dot. Basically what I’m trying to do is connect the sound bar to my TV and my Echo Dot so they can both play through the sound bar but without having to switch inputs all the time.

I can get both to play through the sound bar no problem, but they’re on different inputs. The sound bar can connect up to three different devices via Bluetooth but it will disconnect anything that isn’t actively sending a signal and the Dot constantly steals the connection back from my phone when I try that so I don’t think connecting the tv and Dot over Bluetooth would work. Trying to avoid having to swap inputs all the time and having to buy a speaker specifically for the Dot.

Any suggestions would be great thanks so much!

2. mmw109

mmw109

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'd be interested to hear this answer too, as am trying to work out if I can get multi-room music with a good soundbar included , without Sonos.

Would a wired connection either from the TV or the Dot be an option (so one is on bluetooth and the other is wired in) ? Does Alexa have any LG 'skills' ?

3. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,547
    I haven’t checked the specifications but BT doesn’t have ‘inputs’ as such. It pairs slaves to a master. Devices can be both a master and slave of course. A device can have more than one Bluetooth connection made at a time - you can pair multiple things to one device.

What a connection does is determined by the BT stack capability. Audio uses the A2DP stack and that can only stream one thing at a time.

A sound bar that had say teo A2DP stacks (seperate identified connections) would provide simultaneous audio from each stack but to the vast majority that is a useless feature as the sound is garbled. I doubt device’s that have that exist.

Different BT stacks can and do operate simultaneously. But audio steaming on one device is one at a time.