Alessandro MS-1

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by dukebox_1st, Apr 16, 2004.

1. dukebox_1st

dukebox_1st
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a pair of good headphones to take to uni with me after the summer. I have looked at the Grado SR60s, SR80s, Sennheiser HD280s, HD590s and the Alessandro MS-1.

I was pretty settled on the HD590s at 80GBP till i saw the Alessandro MS-1 are avaible at 99$ incl P&P to the UK, which works out about 56GBP. Looking at the head-fi forum (highly recommended http://www.head-fi.org ) the MS-1s are supposed to be better then both the SR60s and 80s and similar to the SR125s. The MS-1s are also 32ohm impendence so should be easier to dirve through a non-amped source(looking to use my soundcard in desktop and laptop) rather then the higher (100ohm+) of the HD590s.

Has anyone had any experiance of the MS-1s and has anyone bought of them direct before?

Thanks in advance,

Tom:lease:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but it doesn't have an answer yet and I'm in a similar position myself - is there anybody out there with the Ms-1s? :)

3. PeteI

PeteI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Just got a set of MS-1's from the Alessandro site . Seems a good deal @ $99 and ships in about 2 weeks . Bear in mind custom regs though - £13.44 extra to collect from the post office in my case - making it around £69 inc shipping

On that basis it's still £20 less than the best UK price for the SR80's and there does seem to be some credence to the suggestion that the sound is more neutral than the 80's and the spec close to the SR125's . There's a link to some reviews by Destro on one of the head' sites ...

Initially thoughts are quite favourable - running them through a Rega Ear and Naim 5 series - they are very animated on rock , great attack , ear-bleedingly loud at 10 o'clock yet more than adequate soundstage and capable on detail .

Overall , I'd say it's worth it .

Regards

Pete