1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aldi/Tevion 32" LCD Firmware Upgrade

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Bill S, Aug 22, 2005.

?

If you have bought an Aldi/Tevion 32" LCD

Poll closed Sep 22, 2005.
  1. I have found no faults with the Tevion 32" LCD TV.

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. I have found faults but they are not important to me and I have not reported them

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. I reported faults to Medion but I heard nothing more from them

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  4. Medion sent out a service engineer to my home and fixed the problem.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Medion took back my TV for service and returned it fixed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Medion took back my TV for service and returned it still faulty.

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  7. Medion contacted me after I returned the TV to Aldi.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bill S

Bill S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    According to Aldi Trading Dept., Tevion have instructed their service agents, Medion, to send out a technician to customer’s homes to upgrade faulty firmware when fault reports have been made.

This was supposedly done some weeks ago but no-one has reported any such service on this forum: Medion have only asked for some TVs to be returned.

If you have bought an Aldi/Tevion 32" LCD please answer this poll so we can supply Aldi with the true picture.

(Known faults listed are listed on the Tevion/Aldi thread.)

2. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I have reported the faults in great detail twice and talked at length to 2 service technicians. The first techician "went" sick for 2 weeks, or was that just one of their standard "excuse of the day" that appears when they log in to their computer system :D .

Medion Support Ref: 52237268

I left my email, phone , and address details, but have never received any correspondence.

I have phoned the helpline since and was told that they were aware of the problems, and a fix was being worked on in Germany (this was the firmware upgrade). They would contact me when a solution was available, I am still waiting for contact...........nervously flicking the curtain in expectation of the Medion Repair Van arrival :hiya: .

3. Bill S

Bill S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My experience almost exactly the same as Rocky's.
    The only differences being no "sick" excuse and that I rang them twice after the first Tevion "recalls". The first time they told me that there was no fix - the second that the fix did not work. But every time they told me they would ring back when they had a fix!
    Interestingly I did get them to admit previous promises - they do seem to keep a record of calls!

4. JIM CURTIS

JIM CURTIS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rang the helpline on 20th June 2005.

1). In reference to PIP for PC mode, I was advised to read page 30 of the manual:
    "Note: Not all combinations of large and small pictures are necessary. In these cases, the OSD channel display shows 'NoPIP'.

2). The telephone adviser quoted that the split screen was a false advertisement by Aldi.

Ref: 52301584.

I'm still using the Tevion in my studio, and have two PC's running off it, I don't use the TV side much but when I do I think the ghosting is very bad, as soon as, an improved or correctly advertised model comes out within the 12 months guarantee, I will take it straight back to Aldi.

ps, has anyone taken the Tevion back, who paid cash for it? And if so did they receive the refund back in cash?

thks & rgds Jim Curtis ;)

5. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    As most people here know... I was one of the first to get my Tevion returned to Medion, have the firmware update and get it back again....all in took just over a week... but from what I saw resolved nothing...

Also the box was in almost perfect condition when I sent it to them... it came back ripped, booted and taped up with Medion tape...so either UPS or Medion themselves were to blame for that.

The next day I took the TV back to Aldi for a full refund.

6. Bill S

Bill S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    After Busterdans experience, I can understand that no-one will be happy sending their TV back to Medion.

Aldi have written ( http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1891411&postcount=1382 ) to say that the manufacturers have said that their call centre will send out a technician to the customers home. That is a major improvement - if true!

Unfortunately the poll seems to contradict the claim....

7. quinnmar

quinnmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Ref: 52026637

Hello Peeps,

An update to my previous posts...

Further to the issues I'm still having with the Medion PC and Medion LCD, they have advised me that my graphics card is now u/s. To this end, they are sending out a service engineer with a replacement graphics card.

Unfortunately it will be the same type, i.e. with one output, a VGA out and no DVI out. I suggested they send me a refund for the graphics card and I'd buy another type (with DVI out) but they didn't buy into that.

When Medion told me they were sending out a service engineer, I said "GREAT! They can also flash the firmware on the TV." Once again they said no as the firmware upgrade is done in-house.

Just waiting on them contacting me now to arrange a suitable date for their visit.

24 hours later...
    ... I contacted the third party Medion have engaged to undertake their service/repair work.

The company, Repair Line, 0871 222 3961 (or 01977 512 419) are based in West Yorks. The girl who took my call was very helpful, though she explained that she'd need to contact Medion as it looks like they haven't been in touch with Repair Line.

A few geographical numbers for Medion UK.

0870 7270370/01793 715715 - Tech Support & Spares
    01793 715699 Support Line also 715698 possibly more?
    Fax: 01793 715716

8. davidvessey

davidvessey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV had all the faults listed, plus the composite video connector on th front was faulty. From my first phone call, it took them 2 weeks to collect the TV (No home service), including 2 days where i waited at home all day for a courier who they had failed to book and consequently never arrived.

Finally, when they did get my tv, It took them 4 weeks to send it back, and on opening the box, there was no report on what had or hadnt been done to it. I'd already decided to return it to aldi, but on opening the box, i discovered they had not returned my proof of receipt!!

Rang medion to be told they cant find it!!

I even sent them a letter of complaint 4 weeks ago, but have no acknowledment back from them.

After advice, i phoned and asked for compensation for my phonecalls to them, totalling over 6 hours at a cost of about £25. They refused stating that it was not their policy to refund this amount. They did offer a 2 month extension to the warranty as an apology for the delay, but that was far too little, too late.

On another note about their customer service, my experience genrally was that they were totally incompitent and never once actually delivered the service they promised. They never once returned a phonecall when they had promised to either.

Moral of this story: DONT BUY FROM MEDION!