1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aldi AV Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nimby, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Hi

Just though I'd run this past you lot to see if it floats. :devil:

Aldi is offering a Magnum "Highend" 6.1 receiver 6x128Watts (8 Ohms) 6x210Watts (4 Ohms) with 3 years guarantee. All for about £150 GBP!

Should I be queuing before they open on the 1st December for an early Christmas Prezzy? :cool:

Regards
    Nimby

Attached Files:

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Sorry all. I've just scanned a better picture with clearer text. :blush:

Not that many of you will understand anything but the numbers.

It's Danish and there are 11DKK to the GBP. (Just divide the price by ten)

Nimby

Attached Files:

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds like a bargain Nimby but i have never heard of that make is it popular in Denmark!

John

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    John

I've never heard of the name in the AV context. There was a Magnum amp in my youth. (in the last century) :D

Aldi is a cutprice chain of supermarkets if you hadnt heard of them. Usually no problemo in getting refunds for "iffy" products and they are tied to the 3 years guarantee of course.

They usually have something in the computer line at a bargain price.
    This time it's an AV receiver. I wasn't so excited by the £90 6.1 speaker pack. :blush:

But the AV Receiver's amp seems unusually well specked to double its power into 4 Ohms. I though this thing might just lead me down the road to AV ruin. Make a change from the road to Hifi ruin. :devil:

Nimby

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Give it a try Nimby you might like the AV World :D you never know!!

John :)

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Update:

Well I duly toddled off in the car to Aldi to buy the receiver on the 1st December when the offer started. Paid, dragged the huge, surprisingly heavy box out to the car and drove home again.

When I got home and opened the box I was shocked! :eek:

The A600 advertised in the Aldi special offers paper and on the printed packaging had ápparently become a A440 model? What's going on here then? :(

The claimed 128Watts into 8 Ohms & 200+ watts into 4 Ohms had shrunk to a:

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nimby that sucks mate :thumbsdow you should just demand you're money back and take it further! Surely they must of broken the law by falsely advertiseing it. :(

Hope you sort it mate! :)

John

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was just about to warn you: the way those figures are quoted is meaningless - no frequency (range) or THD is given. Ever wondered why Ghetto-Blasters can deliver 1000 Watt from 6 AA batteries? ;)

As well be aware that e.g. 6x 100 Watt does not mean 6x 100 Watt simultaneously (applies to pretty much any budget AV amp/receiver as they come with weak power supplies).

There is basically no AV amp/receiver that has Scarts. Exception is the Marantz 8300 (I think that's the model) and some pre-amp from the German high-end brand T&A.

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Well it's now safely back in Aldi's hands. Never any problem with returns as there is a 14 day "cooling off" period with any product in Denmark.

In fairness to Aldi the box did clearly state that it was an A440. I saw this as I was waiting to get served by the checkout operator. But the picture clearly showed an AV600 model and the banana sockets were clearly shown on the packaging. Despite the claims to nearly double the power into 4 Ohms on the packaging. And in the Aldi literature. It stated quite clearly in the instructions that only 8 Ohm speakers should be used.

I was very disappointed by the sound quality. There's plenty of kit that sounds reasonable out there. Without sounding "tinny" and distorted even if it does sound detailed. Usually the difference between the high end stuff (like Naim) and the budget equipment isn't quite so obvious. Perhaps it would have improved from a few hours burning in?

It had quite a decent sized ring transformer and was built like a stack of house bricks. It was great fun playing with the digital controls via the remote. Everything worked exactly as expected. But ultimately it was badly let down by the sound quality. In comparison, playing around with Naim pre-power amps is limited to turning it on and winding up the volume. WYSIWYG! :D

Thanks for the update on Scart sockets. My satellite receivers/DVD & TV all have Scarts.

Nimby

10. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Just goes to prove the old saying - If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is

Ah well, at least you got your money back.

Cheers,

Martin.