Aldi 80GB Twin Tuner PVR 15th Dec £99.99

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Bassbin, Dec 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. R2-D2

R2-D2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The format has recently been discovered. Take a look at the PVR-101 blog:

http://pvr101.blogspot.com/

2. ralfchip

ralfchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

What's wrong with only recording Freeview channels? Freeview has all the channels you want-unless you're a Sky buff- and is better quality than a VCR

3. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I think you have got the wrong end of the stick.

I have seven twin tuner PVR's and six freeview separate STB's. I never said there was anything wrong with Freeview.

Oh..... almost forgetting the Panasonic ES20D and EH60D (both with Freeview and analogue tuners).

4. MacNewbie

MacNewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Exactly the same problem experienced with a PVR-801 that i'd bought from Aldi. Very annoying having the contents of the hard disk drive wiped clean on two seperate occasions.

The File Allocation Table fault isn't one that can be fixed in a firmware upgrade as far as i'm aware.

Returned to Aldi for a refund. Shame was faulty as otherwise reasonably happy. Build quality was poor (front panel kept on falling off) but other than the sound dropping every now and again (which is being fixed in a firmware upgrade) and the above very annoying File Allocation Table fault this was a reasonably user-friendly PVR. Really do not believe that Aldi should've been shipping these with a File Allocation Table fault on though.

5. boriz

boriz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    160GB Personal Video Recorder with Freeview at aldi is this the same as the one discussed but with a bigger HD looks it to me

6. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    According to the Aldi leaflet picked up instore this morning it is exactly the same as the previous model with just the 80GB HDD being replaced by 160GB. Says this will now hold almost 80 hours of TV programmes.

7. creddish

creddish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    No, the new one is a true dual record PVR, and it is also expected the new software will be downloaded early in December to upgrade ALL the Technotrend dual tuner PVR's to be dual record. The Aldi website makes this clear. http://uk.aldi.com/index.html

Colin

8. Non-plussed

Non-plussed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently did an Auto Search to see if I could get any new channels but the search only found 6 BBC channels and I've lost all the others I had before. I've tried the Auto Search several more times but with the same result. I've also tried a First Time Installation with the same result.
    I actually have 2 Aldi PVR's working off the same aerial and the other one can still get the full range of channels so that appears to rule out a reception problem. The 2 PVR's have both worked properly in 2 different rooms for months so I can't understand what the problem might be now

9. iainlang

iainlang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one of these for fifty quid as a Manager's Special in my local Comet, but without the manual. I've looked on-line for it but can't find it. Anyone know the URL?
    or...
    Does anyone have a manual they can let me have/borrow, please? - or scan the set-up procedures and send me the scanned piccy?
    TIA.

10. Andyroo

Andyroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Post removed as it was made in error.

Regards - Andy

11. creddish

creddish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Unless I have missed something here, iainlang has purchased one of the PVRs which form the topic of this thread. If so these are made by Technotrend (branded Technosonic, Tevion mainly). It is likely to be branded Technosonic if purchased from Comet. The Grundig manual you refer to is for one of the Vestel manufactured PVRs which have various brand names including the Asda Dual, DigiHome etc,

Colin

12. Andyroo

Andyroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah, sorry! It had been a long day and I misread Aldi for Asda. :oops:

Regards - Andy

13. paffren

paffren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    New update 19th to 21st May, version 2.0. Hopefully they will fix the fast forward/rewind for me :D

14. montsett

montsett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just downloaded the update on the 23rd and so far have only noticed an improvement to the fast forward. what else should i be looking for?

my uncle has the same box and i have found out this evening that he has never updated since version 1.5.

his present problem is that for seemingly no reason, it now will not record from the remote on any channel.

from the sounds of it he may have an analogue aerial, but he has two and has never had any difficulty previously to this recent trouble.

maybe his remote is on the blink? or perhaps his signal strength may seem ok but the signal quality might be naff.

help!!!

:lease:

montsett

15. Blotch

Blotch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Well, surprised no one has mentioned the new firmware release V2.2 on 1 Aug 07. This has been a real improvement for me - no bugs, hangups or freezes what so ever even the 'no signal' box hasn't shown itself in the 3 days since I installed the new firmware. No re-boots needed - needless to say I'm now happy and have even disabled the autoupdate feature, in case they bugger up the firmware on the next release

In fact I would say the PVR101 is now working the best its ever been - the way it should have done in the first place.

:clap: :D :smashin:

16. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
  17. paffren

paffren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is it the old 1.9 or has it been tweaked a bit. My PVR101 loses sound when a recording starts while watching something and I can't remember it doing that before :rolleyes:

18. Neilypeel

Neilypeel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jeez, will they ever release a patch that works and fixes everything!!? I've avoided the last couple as people were complaining. But I thought this V2.2 might be the one.

We can't access about 100 hours of recordings anymore and it only shows 4 hours free!

19. creddish

creddish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Yes it is the old Version 1.9 with all the bugs that that Version has. It does however cure the No Signal bug which was introduced in Version 2.0 and retained in 2.1.

Colin

20. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
  21. paffren

paffren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anybody else having problems since this last upgrade? It's made a right pig's ear of what was a decent performer before. Only problem I was having was the FF RW jumping on recordings and now it loses signal and has to be rebooted all the time and loses recordings I schedule. Thoroughly peed off.

22. evelynbeer

evelynbeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you resolved your problem with your box yet as we have been having the same problem ever since my husband answered yes to the update message last year.It is very frustrating having to keep switching everything off and then back on again.Ours is the 160gb with twin tuner.

23. Ayatollah Pies

Ayatollah Pies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree. I thought it was performing almost perfectly until the last upgrade. I now regularly get the no signal error. Still, it's the best piece of tele-visual equipment I've ever bought.

24. LittlePhil

LittlePhil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you contact the respective helplines, (80gb PVR801 & 160gb PVR 1620) they may still have some buffer stock of v1.8 to do a swap with your machine.
    v1.8 seems to be the most stable. It does away with the "no signal" bug at least.

Most people say that v1.8 machines perform best when left switched on at all times, otherwise, sometimes it loses sound when you change channels & you have to switch to standby to clear it.
    Power consumption on these is very low anyway.

Better that than the no signal bug.

25. creddish

creddish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Phil. The reason it is best to leave these PVRs on all the time if using Version 1.8 software is that if they are left in standby overnight then the unit can fail to come out of standby the next day. The typical symptoms are frozen picture and no sound or sometimes just a blank screen. This will usually clear if the unit is left alone for a while or alternatively changing channels a few times often clears it. A standby cycle clears it immediately. There is no significant energy saving by switching the unit to standby as with the Hard Disk idle the unit consumes approx 6W whether in standby or switched on. I think the cause of the standby lock-up is associated with the 3am automatic software update search. If it is essential to put the unit in standby overnight (the PVR does send some data during the night if left switched on (I think its a Scart switching signal, which can potentially affect other equipment in a Scart daisy chain) a method of preventing the bug appearing is to schedule a recording to take place during the period between 3am and when the unit is next to be used.

Version 1.8 is the most stable dual record software version in my experience. However, the loss of sound bug is still present on this Version as it is on all the dual record versions from 1.7 onwards. I have been using my PVR801 for 4 months now (as a back-up PVR) on Version 1.8 and it has been reasonably trouble free although it is not used very often. It is switched on permenantly, not in standby.

Version 1.9 does eliminate the standby bug but of course this version and subsequent versions have the much more serious No Signal problems. I believe the standby bug was "cured" in 1.9 and subsequent versions by requiring the unit to carry out a full initialisation routine (similar to a full power cycle re-boot) which takes about 12-15s compared to less than 2s for Version 1.8 and previous versions. This is a real pain if recording has to be suspended to carry out a standby cycle to clear bugs such as sound loss.

Colin