Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Aldi 80GB Twin Tuner PVR 15th Dec £99.99

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Bassbin, Dec 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. GladIReadThis

GladIReadThis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worked well after update then got the "no signal" message back. Took it back to Aldi for refund, the girl told me they had had dozens back.

I like Aldi, they will change or refund anything no problem.

It is for this reason that I will use them in future.

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I stated earlier that the update to v.1.1 has not cured the no sound bug when pressing the 3 button for ITV1. Still have to hit the 9 button first then the 3 and sound is OK. The sound is also OK if I select ITV1 for a recorded programme. This is using the Winter Hill Tx BTW.

I do not class the "NO SIGNAL" window I sometimes get as a fault because I know this is down to signal reception and this mostly occurs on Multiplex 2 which affects all the ITV and channel 4 channels. It doesn't affect E4+1 because this is on Mux C. This PVR is connected to an 18 element standard aerial connected near top of the rear wall. The ITV transmitters from Winter Hill are slightly out of alignment with the ones for BBC and FiveTV and unfortunately, due to the line of the wall, I just have to put up with this problem. Usually lose the Mux 2 signals first when the weather is very bad, heavy rain etc - and it doesn't have to be local - it can be anywhere between my home and the transmitters.
    This PVR 101 seems to need a strong signal and I sometimes wonder if everyone posting who gets this "NO SIGNAL" window gets it on ALL channels or just some of them. Have they tried using a TV signal booster. I have to use two in line boosters to get a decent signal using this wall aerial.

Recordings on this PVR have all been fine and I haven't lost any yet - and there have been many. I also find it useful just to click the "play" button to bring up the library list and the "stop" button to close it. This is better than the Humax.
    I certainly have no intention of returning this PVR but I am still hoping for a cure for the ITV1 sound bug - perhaps sometime in the future.

3. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I get some of the channels, and sometimes, rarely depending on the weather I think, all of them. That shows that its a signal problem. hence why I've not returned it, as the software interface is very good on this machine

4. Bill S

Bill S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It seems as if a (even temporary) weak signal on one mux can actually create a condition where there is No Signal on all channels.
    No Signal has also been reported on DigitalSpy when returning from the EPG.

One interesting effect I have - playing a recording that has a section of weak signal (mux2 with severe pixelation visible) puts the box into the "No Signal" condition on all channels.

Only way out is to reboot.

I suspect that something in RAM is being screwed by poor signals - it takes a reboot to replace the transmitter tables in RAM with those stored on disk - that or a new channel scan.

Has anyone else had a similar effect with a low signal recording?

5. THFC

THFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Exactly, the problem i had. My signal strength levels are maximum. I have ran a Nokia Box here for months. The signal on the Aldi Pvr was maximum.

The No signal is sporadic. Even going to the Epg sometimes led to this as mentioned above. Affected all channels and after the update too.

Continually rebooting from the switch on the back was the only answer.

Hence my dissappointment and the thing has now been returned.

Aldi took the box back, no problems.

6. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Just experienced a new bug with v1.1 : No Sound! Returned from EPG and no sound on any channels. Powered off/on and fixed.

Setup to record 3 programs today. Fingers and toes crossed (which is not really the way its meant to be!!).

7. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I get bouts of Pixelation (block breakup) when the signal is weak - it alternates between that and the "no signal" window but it has never affected all channels and have never needed a reboot.

I also set a recording of "Gone with the Wind" today and realised when I turned on the TV that this had started later than planned. Whilst recording was in progress I went back into timers menu and extended the finish time for this for 1635 today. This seems to have been accepted OK and is something you can not do with the Fusion or the Toppy. I tried this once with the Topfield and it asked if I wanted to cancel recording.
    Haven't tried this on the Humax, but I am surprised that it is so simple on the PVR 101.

One thing that I did have to reboot for was when I tried to change the title of a programme in the library.
    Gave up on this - all the buttons started giving different actions to their actual stated functions. A reboot cured this but I haven't tried it since.

8. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The extended recording did not proceed as expected. It stopped recording at the original time set then restarted again 30 seconds later. This has resulted in two separate entries in the recorded progs list. Probably lost around one minute of the film. Now with the Digifusion this could have been overlapped using the other tuner to record the extra bit.

9. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    After the download, the 'No Signal' bug returned twice last night, and I live in a maximum reception area, with a Panny freeview box running happily for weeks on end.

Goes back tomorrow. A shame really - the hardware seems sound, but the software is too unreliable.

If anyone sees the Digifusion or Humax 9200 in a sale let me know!

10. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Had mine switched on non stop for about 6 days now and the hard drive is almost full. It seems to work very well as a recorder if left on so that's all I'm using it for. Have another freeview box sat next to it for actual viewing.

Will start copying things off the dvd this week and then I guess return it in the next week or to. Shame it didn't work properly. But at least it has allowed me to record lots of christmas tv without any problems or cost once I've got the refund.

Think I'll join the 9200 fans once there a silly price for one. Having said that stuff I thought I'd really like and wanted it for (Lost, Rome, Little Britain 3) has left me pretty unimpressed anyway.

11. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
  12. BOOST951

BOOST951

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a newbe so go easy on me.
    Being the proud owner of an ALDI PVR101 and used to the curiosities of a PACE Twins I have the following observations:
    The 'No Signal' fix doesn't. It looks like Technosonic have simply forced the receiver software to report 100% signal. However, the problem is in no way related to the actual signal strength (I can see Sutton transmitter from my roof). It does seem to be aggravated by messing around inthe EPG though. Sometimes it seems to recover, othertimes you need to re-install from scratch.
    The use of 'Favorite' channel lists also seems to aggravate the condition.
    One interesting point is that if you do use a 'Favorite' list when you select something to record from the EPG for a channel further down than one or more that you have skipped in your selection, the programming tool selects the wrong channel to record. (This can be seen from the header on the record confirm pop-up.)
    I have observed most of the other problems mentioned as well!!
    I would guess that it will take at least a month to get some serious fixes that have been properly tested in the development house. Still might be worth hanging onto though.
    One good thing about it though, is that it makes my PACE look very good indeed! (Especially the EPG with a 'current time' bar and working 'chase record' facility).

13. Olitwist

Olitwist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is one anomaly that I have noticed with this machine. Although i still get the "No Signal" message from time to time, this never seems to affect the 2nd tuner. I have had occasions when i can seem to get no signal on any channel yet timer recordings have happily chugged away in the background with no problem. I have never recorded that "No Signal" screen. Has anyone else noticed this??

14. Olitwist

Olitwist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've found a way to extend a timer event for anyone interested. When you record a program on-the-fly (as it were) it is possible to set the duration of the record timer by repeated presses of the record button. I realised last night that once a record timer has already started recording it is possible to press the record button again, which brings up the remaining record time. Although I did not try it last night, it seems that from here you can extend the record duration.

15. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Thanks for that info. This sure is a perverse piece of equipment. All the recordings I have set have been made and none have been lost from the recorded list apart from the ones I have deleted. Even the recordings I set from
    ITV1 are made and with sound okay although if I try to watch ITV1 without pressing button 9 first I still get no sound. It can only get better. Presume that tomorrows update will be the same as the last one, as its a repeat. We definitely need another one in quick succession.

16. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You're right- recordings seem to be less sensitive, though on one attempt it didn't record at all which I think was down to poor signal

17. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    bit of good news, this has been posted on another website, hope the director is right about this

its posted here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=1341293#post1341293

18. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Took mine back today. The lady didnt even bother checking the box contents and processed the refund without questioning. She said nearly all those sold had been returned. The product had also been removed from the shelves.

Bought a Fusion FVRT200 from John Lewis - £169. Seems excellent so far. You get what you pay for.

19. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I removed the kind of sellotape from over the front mirror finish today. Difficult to find the edge as this is recessed into the metal surround. Used a broken wooden peg to free one end then it peeled easily.

It will not improve the faults on the pvr but it may give the remote a better range.

20. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    A further link from Scoobiesnacks link above mentions that Key Electronics have engineers coming over from Germany to possibly sort out the faults on the PVR 101.

http://pvr101.blogspot.com/

21. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've tried my 101 with different aerials - basically I've been using a rooftop aerial which isn't very good (I could hardly get a signal on analogue).

I've tried a couple of indoor aerials. A One for All brand wasn't very good. Another - a Maxview (the circular one if you're looking to buy) gave a better signal, though for some reasons didn't get the BBC channels in my area.

Anyway, the reason for the post was channels I couldn't get before (No signal problems) - suddenly appeared. I think this means playing around with you aerial source will help get rid of the no signal problem.

At the moment I'm in a position that different aerial sources are giving me different groups of channels - I'm yet to find one that gives me all the channels at once. However, for the first time, I can report that no channels are unachieveable and I've been able to get 100% strength on just about all channels from indoors - just no with the same aerial

If I do find an indoor aerial that gets all channels I'll post it here.

22. internetuser

internetuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Whats the fix for not getting the ITV/C4 channels ?

23. final

final

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Switch off. Disconnect. Put in box. Drive to Aldi. Get refund.
    Buy a working product.
    Will cost a few more quid; no wasted time and less aggravation.

I hear the engineers coming from Germany to fix pvr101 problems will be disguised as flying pigs.

24. Bully9

Bully9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Has anyone tried recording to a DVD recorder (HD) from the Technosonic HD using the scart out? I did it, and i found a big drop in quality with a lot of ghosting on the new file. I wondered if this was "normal" or another fault to add to plethora already noted. I guess there's no other way of archiving from the PVR?

25. RosemaryP

RosemaryP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I record lots of things from the Technosinic hard drive to my JVC DMR10 (which does not have a hard drive) on to RAM disks and I cannot see any difference in quality.
    RosemaryP

26. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Also shift recordings on the PVR 101 to DVD-R on my Panasonic ES20D. Haven't noticed any drop in quality using scart to scart.

27. paffren

paffren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got one of these PVR 101's and it freezes when it's on standby. I did their update manually as it did not pick it up automatically and it's fixed a lot of stuff like the disappearing recordings and deleted recordings reappearing. I find it's more sensitive to signal drop than my old Philips ON digital box, especially due to weather and birds on the aerial. I'm giving it a chance as it's brilliant when it does work, I just switch it off at the rear and let it reboot and it's fine for the rest of the day. I love the epg function where you highlight a prog then press record and it sets everything up, just go through and find what you want during the day (Tool Time on abc1) one press and it's done. If they don't fix it I have a year to take it back:thumbsup: edit:- I've saved stuff off to my HDD/DVD recorder no problem and can record through scart so I can save 2 programmes at once, just as an experiment.

28. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    UPDATE FROM CUSTOMER SUPPORT
    ==========================

After a bought of "No Signal" last night I decided to try and find out the latest news from their hotline.

As anyone that has tried to call will know, it is constantly engaged nowadays (i.e. left off the hook). However, I obtained another phone number and got through to someone. [I'll not post the phone number as badgering them too much won't really help I reckon].

It seems they have been absolutely swamped with calls about this machine. They know v1.1 was rushed out and doesn't really fix much, certainly not the big one : NO SIGNAL. It was changed to make it "more sensitive" to signal level I presume, but ultimately didn't fix the bug.

Some faulty boxes have been sent to the engineers in Germany and they will not release another upgrade until they are sure that the NO SIGNAL is history. I was also informed that DVB is slightly different between Germany and the UK, which may go some way towards explaining the problem.

So, no date given for another update, but if you have called and registered a complaint they WILL get in touch when the update is ready.

Fingers crossed, I really like this thing and will be delighted if they can make it reliable.

29. Bully9

Bully9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks to those who replied about the archiving problem. Anyone got any news on the swap-out promised by Key Electronics? I seem to remember the guy there said it should happen by mid-January. That must have been about a month ago.

30. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Haven't registered with them so will not get the email update news but I assume it will be posted on the DTG.org website as they did for the previous update so no worries.

I check the DTG.org website regularly :

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl

EDIT : 18th. January : I believed the Technosonic PVR 101 was a first in the UK but today I saw in Woolworths a 20" LCD TV branded "LCD 2001" manufactured by Technosonic. Price £269-99. Wonder if this is fault free?