Aldi 80GB Twin Tuner PVR 15th Dec £99.99

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Bassbin, Dec 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Just tried the snooker and also got the 4:3 picture stretched to 16:9

Also I flipped through some channels very quickly just now and it started doing its 'no signal' routine.

Think it may be going back for a refund but will still give it a while longer.

2. pdiddy

pdiddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Bought box yesterday, set up this morning. No ITV channels, picture comes on initially showing around 75% signal quality, immediately picture drops out with signal showing zero, then no signal being recieved. This also happens on channel 4 and E4. Haven`t tried recording yet.

Is it worth changing my ariel even though signal is fine on other channels?

BTW also Winter Hill area.

Cheers P.

3. Bully9

Bully9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Bassbin - did you try it on BBCi?
    (My "no signal" issue seems somehow to have sorted itself, and apart from this aspect ratio problem, I'm keen to keep the set.)

4. maverick52

maverick52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    re the no sound on itv if you press channel 9 then go back to itv there is sound

5. pdiddy

pdiddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Just been to argos and bought myself a £7.99 signal booster, All channels working fine except for the "No Sound On ITV" but, as maverick says, if you flip channels and go back to ITV there is sound.

Quite happy for the time being, i`ll see if i`m still happy in a month or so.

Thanks p. :)

6. final

final

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, as soon as I put my ONDigital box back, BBC2 was fine.

I can't believe some you out there can put up with frigging around switching channels just to get ITV sound.

This box has just not been tested properly (at all!). There were 3 or 4 faults obvious within minutes of switching on. I hate to think how many there are if I'd gone through all the options. It's the philosophy of a well known computer operating system - let the customer find all the bugs.

7. Ron Baker

Ron Baker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    M8,after reading this thread i expect a mad rush with people taking them back:D

Aldi have got to get their act together...42 inch plasma HD ready... oh no it wasn't took that back,beside that,it kept on freezing too,...two weeks ago DVD recorder a lot returned, including mine so noisy when playing.

In their defence had lots of bargains... computer,drills, phones, all working fine :clap:

8. mikeeastgate

mikeeastgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,
    Got there early for the 9 am rush.
    I too have no sound on ITV from Winter Hill, but today it seems better. Has someone contacted ITV?
    This morning, when I started it, had No Signal on all channels, but OK after reboot.

THIS CAN't GO ON !

But worst problem was...
    Watching the VCR using the pass through as in the manual.
    And had a timed recording scheduled.
    As the time arrived, it powered on and started recording, and therefore cut off the video.

So have come here to mutter. I need to wait for dancing results to finish so that I can watch the tape of the dancing show !! Not yet ready to trust something so important until reliability is proven.

Anyone else seen this.

Mike E

9. cogent1

cogent1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had two of these units. The first one wouldn't record any channels and kept losing signal when stepping through channels. Initially, it didn't pick up Channel Five, so I retuned and it then picked up Channel Five and lost channel 4. Wouldn't pick up S4C at all, so it can't be all bad!:)

Back to Aldi. New unit works perfectly. No, just kidding.:rolleyes: I've got the dreaded 'no signal' syndrome like most other people. What's the good of something you have to reboot every five minutes? I'm amazed that Aldi would associate themselves with something so obiously untested and unreliable. £100 isn't good value unless the darn thing works properly!

Here's your PVR back, Herr Aldi!! (hurls it through plate-glass window of store) :clap:

10. neh0

neh0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Bought two, one for me, one as a present.

First one out the box installed and detected all the channels in my area. However it has the no hard disk issue, second one has installed and seems to be working so far.

Could be a trip back to Aldi for a replacement or refund tomorrow.

11. zircon3035

zircon3035

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Got my Aldi cash refund this afternoon. No hassles or questions from the staff.

Shame really as it had the potential to be a very good unit. Having to reboot the unit every few hours to restore the signal was the killer, although I also has the wrong widescreen mode with the snooker and I noticed that after rebooting the unit, saved recordings had vanished. As these seem to be 'normal' problems, I would expect every unit to 'feature' the same issues.

So I'm back to my non-PVR Panasonic with inferior picture and non-PVR JVC slug with almost daily lock-up (which has the same software engine as the Technosonic).

Get your money back quick!

12. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I phoned their helpline number (its in the manual). Asked about 2 points :

1) Does it record when in Standby?

YES.

2) What about the "NO SIGNAL" problem?

This is when you change cannel, see the program briefly and then get the "NO SIGNAL" message and a black screen.

He has had reports of this and they are looking into it. Took contact details and will get back to me.

If you have any problems, please phone them rather than the knee jwrk reaction of taking the thing back to Aldi for a refund. Aldi are great and will easily refund you for this at any time within the next year.

13. Searcher2

Searcher2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Well I rang the helpdesk about 10am on the 15th December (as I managed to get one on the night of the 14th which had the NO SIGNAL problems and no sound on ITV1 - I returned it on the 15th and got another which didn't even recognise the hard disk). The helpdesk didn't know anything about the model but they toook my number and told me an engineer would ring me back about 11am. I still have heard nothing. Ordered a Fusion 200 as I really wanted something that worked before Christmas! I had already wasted about 4 hours trying to suss out the 101... so I think the extra was money well spent - especially as I will be able to record 2 programs at once or start watching a program which is already recording.

14. zircon3035

zircon3035

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    LOL...perhaps I was too quick to return it but I'd not used Aldi before. Anyway, I will probably use them more thanks to their no-quibble refund policy.

My haste to return the box was spurred on by the fact that the software (and a quick look inside the box) suggested that it is a Vestel unit, like my JVC :thumbsdow box. And my JVC box has been a bunch of pants since I bought it in May, with no software upgrades to fix the problems. As I bought it from eBay however, I'm stuck with it.

I also hear that the new Panasonic box (Vestel again) has similar problems, so I think I will look for something a bit better.

I sincerely hope that the problems are solved as the Technosonic box was great apart from the defects, but I would guess that the missus won't let me gamble any more money on a duff STB! :(

15. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Mine just failed to start a recording when left in standby.

16. Olitwist

Olitwist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first freeview or PVR unit so i have little frame of reference but i have major issues with this unit from day one.

Mine suffers from the dreaded "No Signal" bug too. This seems to happen most when using the EPG and stepping thru channels. It has also lost loads of recordings already - mostly when turning off to reboot, but it managed to lose some all by itself on Friday night - possibly a short power failure? I'm not sure. Interestingly it also keeps bringing back a recording that i deleted on friday night that i no longer want!

I'm gonna keep it until i get something better and then take it back for a refund. Anyone got any good ideas?

Does the Humax 8000 timeshift record? and will it record one channel while watching another like the Technosonic unit? And does it have at least 7 day EPG? If it does it sounds like a better option at a comparative price.

17. final

final

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm!

18. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Any joy from the helpdesk yet?

19. cogent1

cogent1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate your point of view about not returning things too quickly. However, let's face it, the faults on this unit seem to be universal and they mean that the PVR cannot be used with any confidence at all. They are not minor bugs, but basic flaws in the software. Sending these units out with untested software indicates that both Aldi and Technosonic are willing to let their customers be their guineas pigs when it comes to ironing out the faults.

I would, on balance, rather pay £20 more and get a unit that has basic reliability. I can tolerate small annoyances and occasional failures, but not a constant stream of faults and idiosyncrasies. Life's too short to be rebooting your PVR every five minutes!:D

20. Olitwist

Olitwist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here here!

21. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The Helpline number listed 01422 263257 has the area code for Halifax, Sowerby Bridge.

http://www.planet-numbers.co.uk/uk_phone_codes.jsp

If you set up a recording from the EPG it puts up a red dot against the listing. The one I tried did record from "standby". Only fault on this unit appears to be the no sound from ITV when selecting from button three. (Winter Hill Tx again), but as noted previously selecting channel 9 first then switching to 3 seems to work every time. Annoying - but not fatal.

I asked the local Aldi Manager around noon today how many units had been returned and he said just a couple but didn't know what the faults were. They sold 100 units over Thursday and Friday last week.

I wasn't expecting wonders for £100 so not too disappointed. The price is what the cost of a typical freeview box was when they first launched.

22. final

final

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cost is not relevant, it should work as stated; not have a raft firmware faults.
    Basic Freeview boxes are about 25 quid now, so what they used to cost £100.

23. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    As mentioned in my posting. I have only noted the one fault - so far. Even the new Humax isn't bug free.....and (dare I mention this)... my favourite Digifusion.

24. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Please clarify what "raft of faults" you have seen?

25. Searcher2

Searcher2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    If you go on to Money Saving Expert forums I think you may find more faults there in the discussion forum in the 'Grabbit' section... but they tend to be repeated.

* 'NO SIGNAL errors' * Missing recordings * No hard disk * No sound on ITV1 * No sound at all * Doesn't power up * Deleted recording coming back * Lost recordings ... to name the ones that spring to mind

Personally I had the NO SIGNAL and no sound on ITV1 on the first machine and no sound on ITV1 and no hard disk recognised on the replacement machine. That was enough to make me buy the Fusion 200.

26. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,668
    The Humax 8000 is VERY basic and very reliable. It has pretty much the same limitations as a VCR. It will only do one thing at once. Has only one tuner. Can watch and record the same thing at the same time. Cannot watch 1, record a different 1. Cannot play while recording. Cannot chase play.

27. final

final

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Searcher2 beat me to it.
    I didn't quite discover that many.
    I only had it connected for 20 minutes.
    That was enough to convince me it was a bag of nails.

28. dave23

dave23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took mine back Sunday after a frustrating weekend with it.
    Problems
    1. No sound ITV1, except by going to 9 or 5 first.
    2. Clock freezing
    3. Not coming out of standby to record
    4. When it did come out of standby it only recorded the first programme out of four set.
    5. Interference on analogue channels with rf pass through
    6. Total lockup of all buttons on remote

It did work well if left switched on though, and I hope the bugs can be ironed out and it becomes available for sale again

29. Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Presumably they are monitoring this and other forums for their information as Aldi neither asked nor recorded my reason for return in their little book.

30. pdiddy

pdiddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Took mine back yesterday for the same reasons as everyone else, no sound ITV, lost or missed recordings etc, etc.

Cashier in shop very reasonable, but did declare that they hadn`t had any back so far. The pile of 3 sat on the next checkout begged to differ.

Like dave23, I found the box worked ok if left on continuously appart from the no sound thing. But this and the ommission of the ability to record 2 channels simultaneously meant it had to go back.

I ordered a Humax 9200 which i managed to get for £208 inc. delivery. I know its
    double the price, but after owning the Techo, i believe that you get what you pay for.

Cheers P