Aldi 80GB Twin Tuner PVR 15th Dec £99.99

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Bassbin, Dec 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Olitwist

Olitwist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm off to buy mine tomorrow too! For the price it's gotta be worth a try, particularly as i was just toying with the idea of a Humax twin tuner.

2. jambooboo

jambooboo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had it about an hour and all seems good. There's a few issues (lip synching being one of them) that I saw posted on another forum by someone who got one early (probably Digital Spy) that I'm experiencing, but I think he figured how to sort it out.

So far so very good if I can sort these issues out.

3. Searcher2

Searcher2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Well I am on my second machine (got first one last night). I was getting no sound on ITV1 when stepping through channels - but ok when going direct using the '3' button and frequent 'NO SIGNAL' messages. Just hooked up my second machine and I have the same problem with ITV1 (same problem reported by someone else to on MSE)...but worse I don't appear to have a hard disk on this one - at least not one that works! I am waiting for an engineer to call me back but I don't hold out much hope.

4. technoant

technoant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Local Aldi store has a notice posted that it will only record 1 freeview channel and not 2 as advertised on their website and leaflet. Wonder how many will be returned

5. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What! No HDMI/DVI or component out at Hi Def resolutions? No built in DVD recorder too? Scandalous :))

I think the price probably reflects just how cheap it is to produce and sell this type of product nowadays and to be honest, it brings it into Christmas pressie price range for closer family members. I think I'll get my mum one. She's watching NTL analogue cable at the mo....... Now that is poor quality which costs her hundreds of pounds a year.

Using a freeview PVR also makes techie geek younsters redundant too, you no longer need to keep one in a nearby cupboard just to program the video:)

6. Mexico Man

Mexico Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Two quick questions for someone who has one of these up and running. Can it :-

(a) Record two channels at the same time ?
    (b) Playback a previous recording while it is recording a new program ?

Thanking you in advance.

7. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Two quick questions for someone who has one of these up and running. Can it :-

(a) Record two channels at the same time ?

NO

(b) Playback a previous recording while it is recording a new program ?

YES

8. GreasyWeasel

GreasyWeasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The third and most important question:

Can you record one channel and watch another channel? i.e does it have two tuners?

9. jambooboo

jambooboo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yup, just no recording of two channels (unless you're classing timeshift as 'recording').

10. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,
    the only thing that no one said about this machine is if there are any outputs for sound! Optical, or even simply analog?

This is very important for me, so if there is none, this is a no-go at 100%. also, someone said something about the availability, and I did not see London... or was that the Lidl machine?

11. THFC

THFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Got one too

Thought it was twin recordable tuner - so going back tomorrow. Not even switched it on.

Gonna Get a humax 9200t in the sales hopefully.

On the audio front -

There are the standard phono outputs.
    and a digital phono output.

also a coaxial digital output.

Machine looks nice, but not what i wanted and was led to believe it was.

12. Searcher2

Searcher2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    It has Audio Out (RCA phono), Video Out (RCA phono), Digital Audio Out (RCA phono), Digital Audio Out (coaxial), VCR Scart, TV Scart...Aerial in & out and that's it.

13. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Just bought one for my Mum and Dad, going to try it out shortly to make sure I don't deliver a dud. Does it pass through RGB? Save me messing about with extra scarts.

14. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Spent the last couple of hours with it, during which time Ive made and watched a test recording and all seems ok.

The build quality is predictably flimsy, both coaxials jiggle in their respective casings, but it certainly does work as instructed.

Picture quality is not as good as Panasonic TU-CT20, which it replaces. However, the drop is not huge and Im adjusting ok. Signal levels are also down on Panny, although services are all present and correct and there's been no glitching thus far. Picture quality on recording was indistinguishable from broadcast. Perhaps with more accquaintance I'll find some discrepancies.

The EPG and menus are all responsive and clear to understand. Ged, your mum and dad should get on with it fine and yes it passes RGB. The silver remote is easy to understand too. It also has configuration options for downloading future upgrades, which is encouraging. A big positive is it's noise, or lack of it. Impressively quiet.

If you like silver kit, you'll like this. It's the shiniest silver Ive seen. Unfortunately all mine is black, so this is a bit of a sqaure peg. However, for £100, not really complaining. It's also very wide, much wider than most DVD players and wider than my Sony AV Amp!

Pros: Quiet, EPG/menus, decent remote, digi audio out, PRICE

Cons: Build quality, silver finish a bit garish. erm.......

FYI - Im watching through JS RGB to VGA convertor displaying on Panasonic TH42-HD8 Plasma so theirs nowhere for this box to hide :devil:

Hopefully Topfield, Humax et al will bring their prices down soon. I think freeview PVRs, considering the parts inside, are overpriced.

15. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks Sulphar Man, just had a quick play and it is great for the money. My signal is lower than the Pace Twin, this is a boosted signal which shows 100%
    I am sure the folks are going to love this, they still use VCR even though I have set up a DVD recorder. This has been a quick test, I am sure if it is relliable it will suit most non techy people whom will just watch it and never know our world exists;)

16. Bully9

Bully9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just swapped mine with an old ondigital pace box. Often fails - "no signal" - when i change channel (the pace worked fine) and doesn't adjust the aspect ratio automatically when i watch a 4:3 programme. Anyone got any helpful ideas, or does it go back?

17. maverick52

maverick52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i am having the no sound on itv problem to
    set it recording earlier came back 2 hours later
    turned on the tv and no signal displayed .
    one a channel scan and picked nothing up
    rebooted it came up with first time install menu and the channnels are back
    still no sound on itv
    think it will be going back tommorrow

18. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Managed to get one this morning and it installed easily. Picture seems to be on a par with the Sony/Pioneer/Philips boxes we have already. Recorded the Simpsons and Walking with Monsters and it all worked like a dream. Unless it goes wrong I think I'll be keeping it. Will try burning some DVDs from it with my Pioneer recorder at the weekend.

19. pazzazz

pazzazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine doesn't think it has a hard drive so can't record anything.
    the heap of sh*te is going back tomorrow. :thumbsdow

20. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Mine seems to be ok, though I think the software has some bugs - sometimes I need to Re-power it on andit has crashed at least once. Other than that it seems easy to use.

Signal quality seems ok - I couldn't get a Sony box to work at all off my aerial but at least this box can get BBC channels

Unfortunately I can't get any channels other than BBC - but I don't think its the box its my poor signal - any cheap ideas to boost the signal into the box?

21. Andy&Sara

Andy&Sara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the "no signal" problem 3 times since powering it on around lunchtime. Seems to happen most often when changing channels after looking at EPG but it needs to be rebooted to bring it back.
    Also don't like the display on the radio channels - black and white boxes - not what you want on your plasma !
    It'll be going back !

Andy.

22. Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't know where to begin. Firstly terrible picture quality on some channels, ok on others. QVC dreadful - compared with my Pioneer digibox. Really bad degredation of the RF loopthorugh signal, so that my terrestrial channels via my TV tuner looked awful, channel 5 went all grainy. No sound on ITV - apparently everyone getting signal from Winter Hill may be having this problem. One of the tuners cuts out altogether when a recording is taking place. 4:3 broadcasts don't look right. Oh and the sound quality is dreadful, some distortion in the lower frequencies.

I'm going to join the queue to return it first thing tomorrow.

23. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Try a TV signal booster. Something like the Maxview single outlet booster. Wilkinsons stores, B&Q, market electrical stalls, Woolies etc.

24. final

final

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No sound on ITV1 Winter Hill [although it did appear once, when selecting via channnel list, only to dissappear again when swopping channels]
    Aspect ratio wrong on BBC2, not displaying in 16:9.
    Lip synch out on BBC3.

Gave up at this point and put it back in its box.

25. zircon3035

zircon3035

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Well, I was going to write a glowing report this morning; my unit has good picture and sound, the EPG works correctly and channel change is swift. I also like the operating logic; sure its a Vestel box like my crappy JVC box, but all the functions work intuitively and reliably.

This morning however, I changed channel, pressed the EPG button and got the 'No signal is being received' message. The signal is there; you get a brief glimpse of it when you change channels...then nothing, then the error message.

Power off for 15 minutes and the normal operation is resumed. Doh! Looks like it will be going back for a refund.

26. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Snap, this happened to me last night. I replaced my fly lead. If it happens again, its back!

27. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    yep I also got this late last night after I'd watched a recording. Swiltched off (using the hard switch on the back of the unit) and switched on after 10 seconds and it was fine. I'm going to give it a week of heavy use to see how it goes.

28. maverick52

maverick52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    when i have a recording set and i am watching another channel with the time shift working when the recording on the other channel starts the picture freezes
    only way i can see to start again is to swap channels then you lose the timeslip
    also regarding the no sound on itv when i record itv and play back there is sound but not when i am watching itv
    weird

29. final

final

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not weird.
    The box has had litttle or no quality control/testing.

30. Bully9

Bully9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Were you by any chance watching the snooker? 16:9 works fine for me on BBC2, until the snooker. Then it's a 4:3 picture stretched to 16:9: huge noses and oval balls :) just like sky sports footie down the pub. The weird thing is, if I press red and watch on BBCi - the same match - the 16:9 is perfect. There was a similar problem last night with the football on ITV4, tho' there was no interactive choice. what the fudge is going on? Does this machine hate sport, or what? No reply on helpline.